1964 Cox Camper. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just brought this home yesterday. 1964 Cox Camper. Pretty much all original, good solid foundation.

Lots of plans for it but it will be slow going. Too many other priorities. We will use it as is and work on it as we go.

Cool campers. Really thick frame with an aluminum clad body. The canvas stays attached to the poles and you just fold it open. Set up is very simple. Level the trailer, remove the cover and fold open the front and rear bunks. Attach the four braces and snap it down on the sides.

This model is about 8' long, 6.5' wide. It weighs about 960 lbs dry I think. It is pretty simple with a sink, fridge and cabinets. Fridge is original and works like a cooler and used a block of ice. Bench seats with storage that fold out to a bed. With the bench bed and the bunks there are 3 beds. Bunks are like double beds. Bench more like a single.

It towed great, straight with no bouncing or swaying. Could hardly tell it was back there. Leaf springs and very solid foundation. Completely boxed frame, pretty heavy duty.

I hope to fabricate a multi kayak/canoe rack that attaches to the frame front and rear. Plan for it to be made so it can be unloaded and removed from the camper at the site. Light with some sort of quick attachment.

Maybe a lift in time, we will see.

This is a link to one of the brochures about the Cox campers. 1966 brochure but pretty much the same camper as the 1964 with minor changes. Page 2 of the brochure shows the frame and setup. Page 4 shows the Campmaster model which is just like the one we have here. Two tables that fold up. On ours the fridge is to the right of the sink in the corner.

http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/cox1966brochure.html#

100_8428.JPG
100_8429.JPG
100_8430.JPG

100_8430.JPG

Last edited:
I bet that frame is 3x's stronger then anything built today...Hopefully the canvas is in good shape.

Good luck with it, nice find

Looks like maybe a bigger axle and tires are in order? Nice find.

Looks like maybe a bigger axle and tires are in order? Nice find.

Yeah, something I may look at down the road. I haven't looked at the axle under it closely to see how stout it is. The frame is real heavy duty.

First thing I am going to take care of is the canvas. It is nice shape for the most part. Just 2 holes starting that I will patch. One thin spot at one of the bottom corners I will repair. Then I'll treat it all with waterproofing.

Screens and windows are all nice. Zippers and all work great. Wood and camper box is all solid.

We will use it like it is for now and look to fix it up and modify it as we go. Looking at ordering some patch kits now.

Have had her popped up for about a week to get the canvas aired out and back into shape. Need to clean it real good. Have the patch kits and will do that then treat it with waterproofing.

Needs new hoses for the sink and a new faucet. Probably will add a couple of electrical outlets. Needs to be cleaned and painted on the inside. New seat and mattress covers and maybe some extra foam for support.

Here she is setup in the yard.
100_8446.JPG
100_8447.JPG
100_8448.JPG
100_8449.JPG
100_8451.JPG

Last edited:
Do you have the aluminum props for the awnings over the bunk windows? If not I can post some pics of mine & dimensions so you can make some. Mine is a 1969 Cox Cadet 200 but the premise is the same.
Mike

Do you have the aluminum props for the awnings over the bunk windows? If not I can post some pics of mine & dimensions so you can make some. Mine is a 1969 Cox Cadet 200 but the premise is the same.
Mike

I do not have those, pictures and dimensions would be much appreciated. I have found a picture of the supports but not good or detailed photos.

I also need to come up with the supports for the large awning that zips over the door. I have learned that the road cover is also the porch awning and zips to the camper canvas. I see where the awning's 2 side supports hook to the camper box. Pretty simple support, 2 poles and a pole going across to attach the two sides.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
I'll try to get some pics this weekend . . . We've been dealing with a lightening strike on Wednesday. Killed a couple of computers, cable boxes & a garage door opener plus whatever we haven't found. Replacing opener today.
Mike

I just picked up mine today. A great little barn find. Got it off the original owner. Great family that loved it like a child. Last 20 years it was on blocks in his garage. All original an in out standing shape. I have been looking for 15 years. Its a great day.

Some more picks. Giving it a good clean down.

46600a5b-8c11-49a5-87d9-b4fc2dec7da9.jpg

5b8b2aef-3716-42d3-928c-288e514fc351.jpg

f88c0b29-dc42-4113-ae05-67590bad649d.jpg

43d8dadc-bdb8-4cdd-892f-87a71152dde4.jpg

a8d1a893-94d8-4c59-8449-64a705b358f2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom