08 FJ with 290k (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK guys, im a 100 series guy so know VERY little about FJ's, what i have researched and read leads me to believe i at least need to own one for a period of time, after having previously owned fj40 (69) , 80 series and now three 100 series...im going to look at a FJ Cruiser today that is an 08 with 290k miles,,,,aside form the obvious stuff like service records,m evidence of collision repair and carfax etx. what else should i look for on pre-buy inspection? I know about the rear gate hinge issue, the fender issue that some have reported, what else should i be looking for? if i were buying a 100 series i would know what to look for...im just a little out of my experience here and would love for some honest input from you all.
thanks!

OK guys, im a 100 series guy so know VERY little about FJ's, what i have researched and read leads me to believe i at least need to own one for a period of time, after having previously owned fj40 (69) , 80 series and now three 100 series...im going to look at a FJ Cruiser today that is an 08 with 290k miles,,,,aside form the obvious stuff like service records,m evidence of collision repair and carfax etx. what else should i look for on pre-buy inspection? I know about the rear gate hinge issue, the fender issue that some have reported, what else should i be looking for? if i were buying a 100 series i would know what to look for...im just a little out of my experience here and would love for some honest input from you all.
thanks!

They are relatively basic, so the same stuff you look at for any vehicle with that mileage applies. If it's automatic I would slowly accelerate up to about 35 to 45 miles per hour and look for transmission shudder. The FJ cruiser really is a tank and from what I have seen with mine and other people, they don't really seem to have a lot of problems. If it has a roof rack check to make sure the seals on the roof rack aren't leaking. Windshields are very expensive, close to $600 in my area, so make sure you account for that as well. With that many miles make sure the price is appropriate.

Awesome, thank you for the information. So nothing like the 100series where timing belts and water pumps or starter issues?

Awesome, thank you for the information. So nothing like the 100series where timing belts and water pumps or starter issues?

These motors use timing chains. Aside from the fender tearing and transmission shudder, I have never really heard anything negative that stands out about the FJ cruiser. Hopefully some other people chimed in to confirm.

Maintenance records are going to be key, especially with those miles, but honestly if the price was right the mileage would not scare me.

Agreed ( regarding mileage ) as long as it was “reasonably” maintained 😁 my 99 LC just turned 275k and still is running strong! Thanks again for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom