Water every where, MOLD!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
Well thanks to this super crappy weather we have been having my car is soked.
I thought i had everything fixed but everything is still really wet.

Came out to the truck and this is what i find. Where is this comming from? i cant figure it out? i think it maybe the sliding windows on the top part? any suggestions? i have mold starting to grow on the back anything i can do to keep that from happening? i dont have a garage so it sleep out side.

thanks
mike
IMGP2169.jpg
IMGP2170.jpg
IMGP2171.jpg

Have you cleaned the rear drains for the sunroof ?
If so you may have knocked them loose (or if not they are clogged) Also do you have a port installed roof rack? could leak there too

have you removed the factory roof rack mounts/do you have a roof rack that mounts to the rain gutters?

well i resealed the roof rack mounts now so will see if that helps but does any one have a pic of the moon roof drains? i was told using weed wacker wire is the best solution to clean them out any other suggestions? they drain on the a piller correct? so what drain tube is behind the drivers side rear pannel? thanks again.

Got ta fix this asap

mike

I suggest you peel off all the inside trim panels, remove carpets etc, and have a go with bleach or spray mold killer, gotta stop that right away...
and tarp on it when parked, I would think...

ok well the front sun roof drains arnt clogged are there rear ones? and where are they?

thanks
mike

e9999 said:
I suggest you peel off all the inside trim panels, remove carpets etc, and have a go with bleach or spray mold killer, gotta stop that right away...

I think that's good advice.

Very good chance that more mold under the lining. Bleach the inside and wear some type of cover over your mouth and nose. Scrub everything.

lx450landcruiser said:
ok well the front sun roof drains arnt clogged are there rear ones? and where are they?

thanks
mike

Mike
They are the drains you see in the back running down from the C piller and out under the truck behind the rear wheel well on both sides, black tubes about a 1/2" in size .

Koffer said:
Mike
They are the drains you see in the back running down from the C piller and out under the truck behind the rear wheel well on both sides, black tubes about a 1/2" in size .

I took all the pannels off and the carpet out. the drains your talking abut i see them behind the pannels but where do they start? i.e. roof where?

thanks
mike

lx450landcruiser said:
I took all the pannels off and the carpet out. the drains your talking abut i see them behind the pannels but where do they start? i.e. roof where?

thanks
mike

at the rear corners of the sunroof pan, presumably.

You should evaluate right away if your headliner got seriously wet. If it did and it develops either mold or warpage you are in for a really nasty $$ surprise according to ol' Dan's earlier wise advice about headliner damage costs.... Removing the headliner is a nasty job but you might want to prepare yourself for the eventuality so you move fast enough to save it, if it turns out to be an issue. Hopefully not. Watch out also about it being fragile when wet...

If I were you, I'd try to spray some mold killer on the upper side of the headliner as a precaution (if you do try a small spot first for stain evaluation). And dry the sucker right away!

Last edited:
Originally posted by e9999

Make sure to use small amount of bleach mixed with water to clean the trim panels, carpets and linings. DO NOT let the bleach touch the painted metal inside the truck or it will strip the paint and will end up in corrosion. Bleach is a corrosive product so be careful when using this stuff inside the truck. Ensure to clean and wipe any spill as soon as possible to save you some headaches.

I have seen 3 or 4 cruisers with this kind of problem. A lot of water stains just like the one you have in the picture. Some of them cruiser have an antenna drilled in the mid rear portion of the roof. I think the antenna is use for XM radio. The trucks were from north east.

I would use a solution of Isothiazoline as it will not harm the interior and is a better spectrum killer than bleach. If you need a few oz's for the job let me know and I will send you some. You can put it in a spray bottle and mist the mold then wipe it off in the next day or so. In addition, Iso will not hurt the paint.

bucky said:
I would use a solution of Isothiazoline as it will not harm the interior and is a better spectrum killer than bleach. If you need a few oz's for the job let me know and I will send you some. You can put it in a spray bottle and mist the mold then wipe it off in the next day or so. In addition, Iso will not hurt the paint.

So if im reading you correctly i could spray this this over the carpet and headliner as a mold preventative? with out worry of doing more damage?

If so let me know and i may take ya up on that offer

thanks again for all your help

mike

the rear sun roof drains are at the back of the pan, that location can be identified by look at the head liner, the step in the headliner is abot the rear of the sunroof pan.

RavenTai said:
the rear sun roof drains are at the back of the pan, that location can be identified by look at the head liner, the step in the headliner is abot the rear of the sunroof pan.

i looked back but didnt see anything so there in the rear of the pan huh? how would one go about cleaning those? can u get weed wacker wire back there?

thanks again guys
mike

WOW! Hey remember any mold spores that went airborne could have settled in your A/C system. Better get some disinfectant in there too to kill the mold. Also start running your A/C on recirculate - even with the heat on if it's cold out - this will suck moisture out of the air and create a mold hostile environment.

Good luck,

David

If you haven't found the leak yet but have the panels off, you should be able to at least "watch and wait" for the next rains or use a garden hose and have a better chance of seeing where the water is getting in.

Hello,

I too am in the wet northwest and found a fuzzy green interior. Lucky me I have a garage.

1) Dry that sucker out!
2) clean up the mold. You can use bleach but if you just use a general cleaner you will be fine PROVIDING you stop the leak.
3) find the doggone leak! Use a hose. Mine was really obvious.

Good luck. I think the hardest part will be drying out.

Bump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom