water in the sills but not from the sunroof (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

semlin

curmudgeon
Threads
so when I took my carpets out I noticed that water collects on rainy days in the door sills sills where the wire looms go. I dropped the headliner today and confirmed there is nothing wrong with my sunroof drain hoses and no mositure up there. Would I be correct that the hose is one piece from sunroof to exit? If so I ahve eliminated sunroof as a cause because on a rainy day test drive with the headliner loose I was able to quickly accumulate water in the sill that appears to be coming from up front somewhere but the sunroof gasket and the sunroof to hose joint were not leaking.

I have looked up in behind the dash and no moisture or sign of a drip, and ditto for the windshield. The water seems to start right below the access hole in the kick panel where you can reach the sunroof hose. I am currently suspecting the rubber floor plug but the fit is tight and the rubber does not seem to be perished. Can I maybe improve the seal with silicone?

If you run a hose on the door, especially where the glass meets the lower winder seal at the fwd and aft ends what happens?

I had a leak and fixed it in the door vapor barrier that allowed water dripping inside the door past the vapor barrier into the sill area, took the USPS inner door skin off and found that problem,

I think I had two problems as Today I still get water in the USPS foot well, it appears from the lower center edge of the glove box onto the floor board, but after removing the glove box I cannot reproduce it with a hose, I seam to only get water when driving at freeway speeds in the rain, I have not been able to reproduce it with hosing the outside even if left on for hours

My parking decal on the windshield gets water streaks (left side) , as did a coupon book I left on the top of the dash (right side), but I have not seen water in either area, I am hoping replacing my windshield will fix my problem (it got cracked by an errant rock from a dump truck on I-2-85)

I fixed a similar leak by taking apart the rear driver's side door and replacing the vapor barrier and siliconing the barrier in place. It took me about three months to find the leak but it has been leak-free for over a year now. It was the last place I would have thought to leak but it was definitely the culprit. Good luck with your leak!

thanks guys. I has never even considered the door but that makes perfect sense since the water seems to be appearing from "nowhere" and I never went back to properly seal the driver's door after a hasty repair to the window runner this summer.

This problem was so bad after importing the 93 into rainy B.C. from its native desert climate.
Went through everything and later found that the plastic trim clipped below the sliding panel window, these clips have tiny orings that were dried out and allowed water to enter..down the rear fender... and directly into this cable duct.
It was amazing how much water was in this sub floor! As this problem first surfaced when I hit the brakes and a gush of water rushed out of the kickplate, leading me to believe at first that it was the sunroof drain, then windshield gasket, then firewall, then doors...
Have sealed the clips for this plastic trim piece with silicon and now it is bone dry during the monsoon season.

markm2004 said:
It was amazing how much water was in this sub floor! As this problem first surfaced when I hit the brakes and a gush of water rushed out of the kickplate, leading me to believe at first that it was the sunroof drain, then windshield gasket, then firewall, then doors...
Have sealed the clips for this plastic trim piece with silicon and now it is bone dry during the monsoon season.

Today I decided to try and fix my leak problem. My truck is wet all over. The back area is the worst. I investigted that area below the sliding areas and this is what I found. Very dirty, sandy, and either no gasket present with the clips or it was completely worn out. I cleaned the area well and then siliconed all the holes and clips and reattached the strips on both sides. Sure hope this takes care of the problem atleast in the rear.
Teresa
window 3.jpg
window 1.jpg
window 2.jpg

wow, nice clean up there little boss.

I think c dan mentioned replacement tabs/seals for that trim were avail in another thread somewhere (for future reference, tho I'm sure you hope not to revisit this issue! :)

Does anyone know how the water drains from the slider window? Never lookd carefully to see... (borrowed your pic Teresa)
trim.jpg

FirstToy said:

Does anyone know how the water drains from the slider window? Never lookd carefully to see... (borrowed your pic Teresa)

Thanks, earlier on I had dumped water into that slider channel thinking that that was what was leaking. There are drain areas along the bottom of the slider. The water drains right on the top of the piece I removed.

I knew that Dan had those replacement parts but quite frankly, I just got the bug up my ...... and it wasn't raining today. I think that is where most of my water is coming from so hopefully the silicone will be the trick.
Teresa

FirstToy said:

I think c dan mentioned replacement tabs/seals for that trim were avail in another thread somewhere (for future reference, tho I'm sure you hope not to revisit this issue! :)
quote]

After talking with CDan, he even said that the replacement part was available, but silicon would work nicely. After Tree opened it up, I looked at the gaskets and thought why reorder those. Seem to be made out of a thin foam material. Silicon II. should be plyable for movement and definately keep the water out.

I was procrastinating because I didn't want to break something. She did a fine job on this. She also installed the new drivers side mirror while I was at work. But she left the antenna assembly for me.
Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom