Chicago's BLOTCH RIG! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, My name is Keith, or some of you may recognize me as Chicago. The name of my beloved 1988 FJ62 is "The BLOTCH RIG", however, within my club (BBCNN) its referred to as "The grizzwald wagon"!
My story begins a little more than 3 years ago with an annual off road trip called BLOTCH!
Blotch has been running on the same weekend every year for the past 18 years. I was lucky enough to have been invited to ride along as a passenger on the 15th annual run. Growng up in Chicago (now residing in Reno, NV.) my exposure to off roading was essentially non existant, so this was an experience that was completely new to me. Needless to say I was very impressed at the capabilities the rigs and drivers posessed. Also, the group as a whole are some of the greates individuals to wheel and PARTY with...! It is the ONE run that I look forward to ON THE DAY I LEAVE, EVERY YEAR!
On the way home, I picked up a 4WD publication, and read it, then started parusing on the internet, researching varoius types of rigs, modifications etc. learning what a locker was, the difference between a solid axel and an IFS, what a lift was and what was the true purpose for it, with the idea that one day MAYBE I could get a rig for myself.
I decided that I wanted a rig with a solid axel, and a fuel injected engine, something that was in good running condition, but maybe not the prettiest thing in the world, something with maybe a mild lift and tires to get me wheelin a bit...
I began looking at the Jeep Wranglers and XJ's, and the toyota mini trucks and 4 runners (since those are the most exposed rigs you hear about). I had looked at a lot of rigs, weighed the pros, cons and costs of each that I looked at to get an idea of what I needed to do to get it where I wanted it. Everything I was looking at was beat and over priced and needed a TON of work.
Till one day I was looking on the local Craigslist...I saw an ad for an 88 Toytoa Landcruiser..."Landcruiser" I thought..."Never heard much about those." I called the guy to get more info on it. It had a mild shackle lift, 32 in tires, fuel injected and most importantly it had a SOLID FRONT AXEL! However, it did have some rust around the edges.I went onto pirate 4x4 and inquired about LC's there. George (OrangeFJ45) looked over the ad for me and said that it looked to be a decent deal! He was also the one who referred me here to mud! (Thanks again George)
I met the guy who was going to shcool to become and airline pilot and needed to sell off his toys to do it...I bought it In January on the 17th for 2500.00! In hind site I could have got it for a lot less, but I was totally GREEN so I bought it without negotiation. As it turned out it did have some rust on the tub...primarily the PS rear 1/4's and rear PS door. But the frame and components lookded pretty good and everything mechanically was in good order!
And thus, the BLOTCH RIG was born!
I promptly began working on it doing the PM stuff per recommendations here on mud with the main goal to wheel it down to Blotch for its inaugural run!
Here it is when I got her home after I replaced a bad alternator!
blotchrig 002_edited.jpg
blotchrig 003.jpg

Last edited:
Here are pics of the maiden voyage...Blotch 06!
I had not wheeled EVER at this point, nor did I have much mechanical ability, so the 5 hour trip from Reno to Death Valley, wheeling for 3 days straight and a 5 hour trip back was daunting to say the least.
I had not ONE single issue and I learned what "Pucker Facor" was first hand!
Mace had given me his number before hand in case I got into a JAM being a newbie. Thanks for that Mace!
blotch06 002.jpg
blotch06 039.jpg
blotch06 081.jpg

I later hooked up with the NorCal wagon folks and did a weekend trip consisiting of the DeerValley and Strawberrry Canyon trails!
This was an EYE OPENING experience! Never had I seen terrain like this! They were GREAT with me, as much of the time I was scared SH*TLESS!
Brett T (Dieselbigot) babysat me for MOST of the trip (which as it turns out would not be his LAST TIME babysitting me), and most everyone was awesome with my "newbieness." I learned SO MUCH from this run about wheeling, spotting, and all the fundamentals that is off roading! Most importatant, I realized what the "Landcruiser Community" truly is...the people!
It was this run that propted MAJOR CHANGES to the Blotch rig!
deervalley 009.jpg
deervalley 014.jpg
deervalleyrigpic.jpg

I loved the deer valley run and knew then that I wanted to more wheelin like that, in fact I had an itch to run the Rubicon one day. However, I needed a lift, lockers, tires and armor.
I kicked the string of mods off with the decison to go SOA!
I HATED my spring packs hangin up on the littleist crap, I wanted better articulation than the SUA set ups had and though it was the most work, it was what I wanted!
I researched here on mud, began accumulating parts, learned to weld and in Oct of 06 began MAJOR reconstruction of the Blotch rig...Mind you, I had never done any major work on an automobile before, and at this point I had only had the rig 8 months!
Quite a big nut to crunch!
OOOOH did I get a crash course! The experience was INVALUEABLE!
Here are a few pics!
Also, I did a FULL write up of my experience here on mud to help others who were going to tackle this project. I dont know how to post the link, but its here and its a LOOONG read Ive been told!
SOApics 001.jpg
SOApics 009.jpg
SOApics 015.jpg

A few more of the highlights of the SOA
SOApics 070.jpg
SOApics 073.jpg
SOApics 097.jpg

More

oops heres more
Almost completed, shocks mounted and a test run with RustyTLC!
I had to re learn how to wheel with the SOA! The performance is AWESOME, but the COG issue takes a bit of getting used to!
Id never fully understand that till the fall of 07!
SOApics 102.jpg
SOApics 122.jpg
SOApics 126.jpg

As mentioned, I wanted to run the Rubicon right...Well before that, I needed some protection, and a wrap bar. Here is what I (with help from the mud community) came up with...
Custom built x member and wrap bar...Cuz she was HOPPIN like a MO FO trying to climb SOA!
xmember2 011.jpg
xmember2 013.jpg
wrapbar 016.jpg

Marlin sliders!
sliders 003.jpg
sliders 005.jpg
sliders 002.jpg

All the mods were done! and this is pretty much how she sits now!
SOA (Parts from Cuiser outfitters who also helped me along a great deal with the SOA process...Thanks Kurt)
Ford towers
Doetsch tech shocks (go to the internet to get the price, then call them to order and state the internet price)
DC rear shaft
Black rock crawler rims 2.5 in BS (RIms, tires, mounted, balanced with lugs and caps, shipped to my door...996.00)
35 BFG MT's
4.88 gears (1000.00 for both, set up with new bearings and locker installed)
Lockrite rear locker
sliders (179.00 shipped...custom fab...by me
Wrap bar (around 70 bucks for me to build including rod ends and hardware.)
Custom built in bed storage (Carpet and finish going in this winter!)

Coming up this winter!
ARB front locker
rear quarter chop and rust abatement
Dura line on the lower line
Wrap around rear bumper with swing out for jerry can and tire
Front bumper and winch possibly!

Later possibilites...
H55 manual conversion with marlin crawl box IF I go with the 2FE motor!
Or a vortec/ SBC with throttle body, with a 4l60E tranny and dual cases.
Ill deicde when the engine blows, which there is NO INDICATION it will happen soon!

Later FOR SURE!
Longfields and 36x 12.5 in TSL's!
ROTW 011.jpg
ROTW 001.jpg
ROTW 005.jpg

Last edited:
The pinnacle of my illustrious 2.5 year wheelin career came when the opportunity to run the Rubicon Trail with the Norcal crew!
Once again, Brett T had the duty of babysitting me!
This was a HUGE acchievement for me both as a "builder" and as a wheeler...I made it through (with EXCELLENT spotting, thanks Alvaro, Brett, Snook, Dan and everyone!) and the work I did held up AWESOME!
rubicon07 011.jpg
rubicon07 016.jpg
rubicon07 039.jpg

More
rubicon07 043.jpg
rubicon07 068.jpg
rubicon07 074.jpg

So that's my story!
How it started to where its at now...a work in progress!
Id like to thank you all here on Mud, cuz without this site and the advice and write ups of the people...NONE of this would have happened!
This is hands down the best resource available!
Thanks to all who wheel with me and get me through especailly the West Coast Blotchers, Battle Born Cruisers of Northern Nevada, and the NorCal Wagon crew.
And last but not least, a BIG thanks to my wife Julie who is both supportive and understanding of my "ILLNESS", and most recently has beocme my co pilot on a couple of trips....shes now oficcialy a "CRUISER CHICK!"

Thanks for reading and I look forward to wheelin with you in the future!

Keith (Chicago)

Last edited:
Now, here are some more random wheelin pics!
blotch07 045.jpg
blotch07 040.jpg
blotch07 047.jpg

Deer Valley, post SOA!
Got my butt kicked the first time, walked through it SOA and locked!
deervalley07 004.jpg
deervalley07 020.jpg
deervalley07 045.jpg

More Rubicon!
rubicon07 053.jpg
rubicon07 082.jpg
rubicon07 040.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom