Screwed-Up Oil Change - did it affect my LC? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had my LC's diesel oil changed over the weekend. Same vendor/mechanic that has been changing the oil for about 4 times already.

Everything was normal: drain the oil, put back on the drain plug; remove filter, put in new oil filter; and then put in the usual 10L of diesel oil. I started the LC and for about I think 2-3 minutes, vendor was yelling at me to kill the engine. And I did. Getting out of the LC, there was oil all over the floor. My first instinct was the drain plug was not filled in. But it was. The mechanic/vendor then looked again and said that it's coming from the filter.

My first instinct was defective filter? But's is new and OEM-sealed from Toyota. After checking and removing again the filter, it turned out that the filter was not properly seated/locked. Mechanic thought he had tighened it enough. So mechanic re-tightened and I/vendor watched him again. Started the LC for just about 15-30 seconds just to see that LC is not spewing oil again. It's not - and the killed the engine.

Vendor/mechanic then started adding oil. I thought we lost only about 2-3 Liters but they ended up adding 8 liters. We checked everything before starting the engine and there are no more leaks. Drove home for about 80 kms (after seriously reprimanding vendor/mechanic) and parked the car. Things looked normal to my untrained/non-mechanical/non-LC type of guy.

My concern on the LC: how does the above affect my engine. Should I be concerned that the LC was running for about 1-2-3 minutes with very low oil? Or since it was at idle and we did not run for extended period of time, the engine should be ok.

Don't flame me: I know I should be the one to change my oil.
And I know I will never go back to that vendor/mechanic.

Did the warning light come on?

Running an engine with low oil (obviously depends how low) for a couple minutes with no load shouldnt hurt it.

I'm no guru when it comes to diesels but I think you should be OK. Those are pretty darn tough engines but for the real diesel heads you might want to post this in one of the international forums. I realize it is an 80 but those guys will probably know more about the workings of these motors. The only diesel I know anything about is a big ass John Deere and I don't think anything would stop that puppy from running. If you want I can move this thread or you can start another over there and glean info from both tech sections. There are some guys here with diesel knowledge. Heck there are guys here with knowledge about everything.

Forsaken - No - the AT/Oil Temp light did not come on at any period of time. I only see this buld turn on whenever I start the engine.

Refug - I'll post a similar thread on the Diesel 80 section. Please keep this one under the 80 section so I can hear other's comments.

your comments are very re-assuring. thanks,

i did this in my 4runner about a month ago, and everything seems fine, i wish it has been in someone else's garage though it was a pain to clean up 5 quarts of fresh oil

Should be fine. Why are you pissed at the mechanic? It sounds like you were present, started it, and then didn't hear when he said shut it down. It sounds like he was being conscientious in not over torquing the filter.

Kumusta,
You might also want to ensure the tech did not leave the old oil filter gasket on.

Other than that, I think the only thing for you to worry about is if your tech cleaned all the spilled oil off the motor and ensure there isn't too much oil in your motor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom