24V BJ42 electrical issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've been struggling for the past 6-7 years with battery going dead, Note that my BJ42 has 2 since it runs on 24v, well kinda..

To make a long story short. I haven't been using the LC because battery would go dead and wouldn't restart after 4-5 hours. So i had to recharge one after the other battery and could ride it for 4-5 hours then it wouldn't start.

So a few month ago i thought i had found someone who know well those truck :rolleyes: . He did some work, told me a relay was bad and change the battery, but two month later (yesterday) it decided not to start. I was kinda expecting this because a few years ago i tried to have it fix by a toyota dealer and they told me my vbattery were bad because i don't use the truck enough, they changed the battery so the truck went well for 1-2 month then the same thing, and now it happened again. but this time i've norrowed down the possibilities.

First off i couldn't never found a electrical leak by check amps being drawn on the 24V. Then yesterday i notice that on my new battery there is a small charge indicator, and only the right side battery (the one connected to the ground frame is dead or not charged. The other one with the positive to the truck is green and fine. I had a good hint in the past that something was sucking up 12V. Now i know for a fact only one battery goes dead.

I currently have 3 wires that plug to the negative pole of the right side battery therefore using 12V, my viair compressor (newly installed) so since the problem has been there for 6-7 years it is not the compressor. I also have a wire for a led (fake anti-theft), i've rule that out a few years ago by removing it, anyhow i'd be suprise a small led would be able to make my battery go dead after 2 months (the truck has been used alot lately). And finally a other wire with a inline 20amp fuse. This wire seems to give current to the head light. If i remove the fuse and pull the lights switch on, the head light won't come up, but all other parking light does.

And the day before the battery went dead i drove a few hours at night with the head lights on, and it was the first time i used my head lights for more the 5 minute since the battery were changed 2 months ago. So now i am pretty convinced there something with the headlight or headlight switch.

Now my first questions is, does anyone have the wiring diagram for a 1983 BJ42, or where i could find this, i wanna find out where exactly the red and black wire that goes to the negative pole of the right side battery goes.

Yesterday i've dismentle the dash and remove the pull switch for the head light. I cleaned it out with contact cleaner ( i remembered a few year ago, that i had once close or push the light switch to realise the light were still on) maybe there is a bad contact in there.

also i removed the dimmer relay that runs on 12v, what is that for? even with that relay unplug, i could dim the dash light by turning the light switch? is that relay for the high and low of the head light?
Anyhow i've openned up the relay and all seems fine and all contact seemed to be clean.

If anyone has the wiring diagram that would help me trouble shoot. If any of you have suggestion to further trouble shoot the issue i'm open to suggestions. Are those 24V BJ know to have single battery issue because the headlight draw from one battery? Could someone at one point isntalled wrong lights? Does anyone know the original part number for the headlights?

I'm very desperate about all this, i thought i had solve the issue and decided to do some major upgrade on the truck; tires/arb lockers etc.. and now i've lost total confidance again. The last thing you went is your LC with dead battery hundreds of miles in the wood....:doh:

and sorry if my story was still long...

Arg, maybe this thread should of went in the Diesel Tech and 24 volts Systems forums, sorry and move it if necessary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom