Anyone have their rearview mirror melt off? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ewillis

SILVER Star
Threads
Stepped off a week long cruise ship in Long Beach. Apparently it was pretty hot while I was away. Anyone been down this path that can offer tips?
20180717_125148.jpg

I've never done that but if it were me, I'd look to Plio-Bond (the one with red & blue letters, not the green) and give that a go. It can be found on Amazon but be sure not to buy the one with green letters, that's junk.
71rATZrIolL._SX425_.jpg

NOT this one.
40P233_AW01

I've never done that but if it were me, I'd look to Plio-Bond (the one with red & blue letters, not the green) and give that a go. It can be found on Amazon but be sure not to buy the one with green letters, that's junk.
71rATZrIolL._SX425_.jpg

NOT this one.
40P233_AW01
Well...I guess I'll be the first on this one. Picked this up earlier today. I'll start the repair as soon as the sun goes down...still too hot!
20180717_162834.jpg

Well...I guess I'll be the first on this one. Picked this up earlier today. I'll start the repair as soon as the sun goes down...still too hot! View attachment 1746651

:hmm: that might be good but remember not to over do it. You don't want to have to go back and scrape it with a razor blade once it's dry. How to keep it in place during the drying process is beyond me but I'd use a piece of wood to keep it up there, other than that then you're spending the night holding it up in the truck. :)

Well you have to remove the mirror button by unscrewing a torx #20 on the bottom of the mirror.
20180717_193908.jpg
20180717_183929.jpg
View attachment 1746802

Last edited:
Sand off the old adhesive from the button with 120 grit...
20180717_185457.jpg

Don't use a razor blade on the inside of the windshield as the black stuff is plastic. I scraped the adhesive with my fingernail and hit it a bit with sandpaper. Clean everything with rubbing alcohol. Glue the button on bevel edge up and let cure overnight...
20180717_191040.jpg

Don't use a razor blade on the inside of the windshield as the black stuff is plastic. I scraped the adhesive with my fingernail and hit it a bit with sandpaper. Clean everything with rubbing alcohol. Glue the button on bevel edge up and let cure overnight...View attachment 1746807

That Permatex stuff is pretty good. I think we used the same kit when mounting the mirror on my dad's C10 about 6 or 7 years ago. It splits its time between Redlands and OC though so maybe it doesn't see as much heat as yours.

Reattached this morning...all is good again in the GX470 world.
20180718_095412.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom