Help removing sunroof motor... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my sunroof leaks last time I did a car wash, then now it doesn't even open (just made the click motor sound when buttons were pressed).
After hours of research, I decided to work on it. I removed the 2 side trims (from bottom inside of the glass), removed the 4 10mm bolts and popped the glass out. Now the cables (driven by the motor to slide the glass) are dirty but not so rusty. I sprayed WD and let me sit overnight. Today I tried the buttons again but no dice. So, it is time to drop the motor to see what condition the gear is in. I am at this stage now:

IMG_20180522_141209122.jpg

I even removed the metal bracket held up by 2 little screws, the motor still doesn't drop down even with some yanking. Do I yank it off really hard? Or something else is holding it? Or the gear is locked / stuck to the 2 cables?

Appreciate if anyone who has done this would give me a hint. It looks like it is going to rain tonight.

IMG_20180522_141245719.jpg

I have a 1998 LX470. I don't know what exactly you have, but everything looks the same in the picture. If so, you're correct, there's nothing else holding it up. Gently pry the motor down. I found that it did take some coaxing on my part to get it to come off.

Right, it took some brutal force to get it off. The gear is so stuck to the cable thread.
I took it off and tried but failed to free the left cable. It needs to be replaced but I would not go thru the trouble and $ to fix it because the headliner needs to come down. So, I just unclogged the drain lines and use a toothbrush to clean off all the dust and buttoned everything up. Oh, I disconnected the motor connector so that it simply doesn't run.
If someone somehow can free up the cable and can provide detailed info / video on how to do it, I will try again.

I think I have the same problem, only bought my LC105 a couple of weeks ago but the sun roof has never worked, just clicks when I press the switches. It leaks too so I'm going to unclog the drains and do what you've done here. I'll let you know how I go. Thanks for the photos

For this matter I clean the sunroof drain and lube the tracks at least 2-3 times a year. I hate sunroofs!

Did you try to remove the two Phillips bolts located at the bottom on the OP's first picture? Be ready to catch any falling wheels. If you have access to the mechanism through that, then no need to pull the motor mechanism form the main tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom