Silascrum's project: Where to start? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK fellas,

I need some advice on where to start and what to do. Originally I thought I would start by fixing the brakes, wipers and a few of the other necessary safety stuff like lights. Then I got to thinking that something needs to be done with the body asap or it will get worse. I have rust holes behind the front seats and in some really bad spots in the usual places on the exterior.

pics of most of it can be found here:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/nc-olde-north-state-cruisers/205951-check-out-her-body.html

Where I am:
A cruiser that starts with no problems after a fierce electrical problem that took this newbie a bit to fix. Idles high due to a worn out spring. Brakes needs some work. Wipers don't work. Turn signals don't blink. Most of this stuff I can probably do. Runs fantastic and the engine is dependable, although I have some leaks in some places (haven't investigated this seriously) A very rusty body. Everything else, I'm not sure about.

Where I'd like to be:
Not a fantastic looking exterior b/c I still want to barrel through the woods, but something way more presentable. Mechanically, stock as much as possible, but reliable and dependable. I'm open to some mods where it will give me better wheeling capabilities.

My thoughts so far:
Body
Gonna have to replace most of these doors and the hood. I think everything else can be fabricated (idea here is trying to keep as much of the original cruiser as possible) Rhino line the inside floor and possibly more depending. The underside and chasis, not sure due to what may need to be done mechanically.

Mechanically
Do I replace/rebuild/or do modifications before or after the body is restored? Which is easier? I guess this depends on what I want to do. To be completely honest, I have no ideas or knowledge here. This is where the advice and great ideas from more experienced cruiser enthusiasts is more than welcome!

Fire away!

While I have never restored a Crusier I have done several cars from the ground up. (1968 Jag XKE, 1969 Mustang, and a 1984 Porshe 944) My first priority was always to get the motor and drive train 100%. After all what good is a great body if it doesn't move. After the drive train and motor check out I went for the wiring. It never hurts to bang and knock a body prior to restoration but once that paint is on there it gets really hard to work without being overly cautious. Prepare to live in your garage, it is ADDICTIVE! Good luck and post lots of pics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom