FJC Tube Fenders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BMThiker

I aim to misbehave
s-Moderator
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I posted this in the UC chapter forum a lil while ago, but it should probably go here for proper exposure to all things FJ.

Steel Tube Fenders
It's been something I've been thinking about for a long while. And after busting out the same window twice, I figured I'd go ahead and armor-up my bad driving skills.:D I saw the tube work ACC did for DanKunz's FZJ80 aptly named Avocado (now Guacamole? Tornadocado?) and thought we could sit down and sketch up some ideas for exactly how this was going to play out.

The plan was pull off the plastic fender flares and replace them with steel. Harder than it sounds, because of the complex curves of the front fender. Also a much easier task if you have steel bumpers front and back and sliders. Once I got my Metal Tech sliders last year, I knew that part would be a piece of cake (I told you I had been thinking of this for a while). Then I got the Demello rear bumper and thought there's enough flat space to connect there too. The front bumper is an All Pro and it is not as structurally sound as the other elements we were going to tie into. It's a great high clearance winch bumper, but the outer wings are pretty thin.

This meant that we were going to have to tie into the frame rail in some fashion. ACC's tube bender went to task last Saturday and got the rough shapes bent for each fender. It's damn near impossible to bend it exactly into place because of the extra material on each end needed for final tie-in. The bends looked great as we held them up to the side of the FJC.

DSC03841.jpg

DSC03838.jpg

DSC03839.jpg

Michael spent some quality time with the bent tubes and had to cut and turn as he went to get them lined up exactly as I wanted. My major criteria were that they protect my fenders and my rear lights. I wanted a finger width between the tubes and the body panels to allow some flex room and to allow enough room for mud to fall out easily.

I think they did a fine job. Originally I wanted a bolt on solution, but in the end ACC said it would never be as strong as welded tubes. So I went with a fully welded in place solution and I am glad they talked me into it. I've used them several times in the last year and they do exactly what I wanted. [updated 4/20/10]

DSC03854.jpg

DSC03856.jpg

The scars on my door and rear fender are from Guardrail at Upper Tellico OHV last year.
DSC03860.jpg

DSC03858.jpg

DSC03859.jpg

DSC03861.jpg

DSC03862.jpg

Last edited:
Definately not a bolt on, but definately cool.

I was considering something very similar a while ago after bouncing off of a tree. They look good - nice mod. I thought about doing them with a stub of pipe with a flange end welded to the sliders and a flange end on each end of the fender rails, and drill out the bumper for mounting locations - so that they were bolt on.

I thought I was going to go with a bolt on solution at first, but with the direction we took on the tube bending, it made sense to weld in place. The front was a real bi-otch to bend because of the angle under/behind the bumper. The rear was difficult because of the two bends that make up the rear corner are so close to each other. They are hard to bend and just hold it up to match. We had to bend it as close as we could and then cut and turn the tubes to get a tighter fit. All the while my bank account was hemorraging, so welding on slowed the bleeding.

saw a t-shirt recently that said "Bolt on is for beginners." Made me chuckle.

Last edited:
Looking good! This is the first mod i thought of when i the FJC came out, Replace the Cheesy Plastic flares with Tube! The Best type of mods are not Bolt on ;)

Now we just gota work with you on your wheel Color Choice! :p J/K

The front was a real bi-otch to bend because of the angle under/behind the bumper. The rear was difficult because of the two bends that make up the rear corner or so close to each other. They are hard to bend and just hold it up to match. We had to bend it as close as we could and then cut and turn the tubes to get a tighter fit. ... Now that they are on, we could cut them out, measure them for duplication and perhaps come up with a bolt on application.

:hmm:Makes sense - now that I think about it at least tacking the pieces in place for intial fitment and tuning would be necessary anyway. I really like the mod.:cheers:

IronPig did this on 07TEQ's FJC a couple years ago. No doubt has saved more than build cost in body damage. I don't think I have any pics of his rig on my new computer though.

This is the only pic I can find here on MUD. It's from the Toyota Jamboree at Barnwell, just before he left for a year in Korea. If you look close you'll be able to pick out the tube fenders. He was able to keep the factory flares with this design too, so they do stick out quite a bit. It took a while for the design to grow on me but I like it a lot now.
101_0138.jpg

I too was looking at making a bolt on version of fender tubes. Unfortunately without some sort of support in the center of the fender well I dont think a bolt on application will work well. Making a set of weld on tubes for myself wont work either as I am always removing my bumpers to build bumpers for customers. So it is either come up with center supports of some kind or pass on my own rig.

The real hard part in making fender rails for customers , even weld on units is that there are so many different combinations of front and rear bumpers and sliders. They would have to be installed at the shop.

This is the only pic I can find here on MUD. It's from the Toyota Jamboree at Barnwell, just before he left for a year in Korea. If you look close you'll be able to pick out the tube fenders. He was able to keep the factory flares with this design too, so they do stick out quite a bit. It took a while for the design to grow on me but I like it a lot now.

Whos truck is that?

It's 07TEQ. He is in S Korea for a year. He doesn't get on here that much.

Like Green73 said IronPig did mine several years ago and I can contest to how much this saves in damage alone!!!
DSCN0544.jpg
IMG_0893.jpg
IMG_0919.jpg

I don't think IronPig plans on making any production runs of 07TEQ's set-up. It wasn't cheap though. It looks like BMThiker was heavily involved in the design and labor of his as well, so that effects cost as well. Nobody is making these as a bolt-on kit as of yet that I know of. You could stop at a fab shop that has a bender and get an estimate though. Prices for this will vary from shop to shop, and coast to coast.

Last edited:
yea this cost me a big chunk of change, but it was well worth it and IPOR did a great job!!!! The only input that I put into the whole thing was that they bolt on and attach to both bumpers. Like it has been said before the more you are involved and how well you know the shop helps the cost also.

yea this cost me a big chunk of change, but it was well worth it and IPOR did a great job!!!! The only input that I put into the whole thing was that they bolt on and attach to both bumpers. Like it has been said before the more you are involved and how well you know the shop helps the cost also.

thanks for your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom