Builds A Canadian build of a JDM BJ74 - *TECH ONLY PLEASE - NO CHAT* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I should start a build thread on my BJ74. I will start by bringing you up to date on all the work I have done. Here is the truck as I purchased it in March of 2009. Very clean rust free body and under carriage, however less then perfect paint by the previous owners insurance company, after a minor fender bender and having it keyed in a parking lot.

Truck was originally imported into Canada through outback imports and then was in the hands of 4wheelauto. From there it went to the owner of Max diesel in Edmonton and then Kevin the guy I bought it from had it for a few years and obviously continued to give it the pampered life it was accustomed to.
100_1455.jpg
100_1456.jpg
100_1471.jpg

It came to me sitting on 33x12.5/15's and a very sagged out stock suspension. The first step was a lift kit, I chose the OME 2 1/2" with extended anti inversion shackles.
100_1458.jpg
100_1480.jpg
100_1489.jpg

I'm interested in knowing more about those caster shims you put in.
I have vague steering and cant get the wheel alignment right. I have a 2" OME
lift in my BJ and have been looking at installing something like this to correct the caster.
The local 4x4 shop said they could put caster correcting swivel hub/trunion bearings in
but those wedges you have look like less hassle to install.

Did they improve the ride? and how much $$$.?

Great rig mate.

With the steering knuckles striped down, I said screw it, this is the time to rip the front axle out and re drill the leaf spring centering holes on the spring perches
100_1526.jpg
100_1527.jpg
100_1537.jpg

Back together and looking good!! At this point I added a drop pitman arm off of a 60 series, all new tie rod end links, OME steering stabalizer as well as a sway bar extension kit with new bushings.
100_1584.jpg
100_1809.jpg
100_1808.jpg

Last edited:
I'm interested in knowing more about those caster shims you put in.
I have vague steering and cant get the wheel alignment right. I have a 2" OME
lift in my BJ and have been looking at installing something like this to correct the caster.
The local 4x4 shop said they could put caster correcting swivel hub/trunion bearings in
but those wedges you have look like less hassle to install.

Did they improve the ride? and how much $$$.?

Great rig mate.

The Shims I used were ProComp 2 1/2 degree shims, don't remember what I paid for them but they are not expensive. I used the same ones on the rear for pinion angle. However when I first installed them on the front I unknowingly put them in the wrong direction and was using them as pinion angle shims. This made the caster that much worse and the handling and bump steer was very bad. After turning them around (thick side forward) the handling was like night and day. I also added the drop pitman arm to try and keep the drag link and tie rod as parrallel as possible, which also helps eliminate the bump steer. At this point I think it handles as good or better then any 4x4 I have ever owned. :steer:

Thanks for the info.

I have moved the diff forward as you have done in your build?
Did you have any problems with the front stabilizer bar?
Because of the front diff moving forward mine has alot of play and the bushings on the diff have come out the brackets causing the bar to be ineffectual.
i think it need extension where it mounts to the chassis. Have you had any probs here?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info.

I have moved the diff forward as you have done in your build?
Did you have any problems with the front stabilizer bar?
Because of the front diff moving forward mine has alot of play and the bushings on the diff have come out the brackets causing the bar to be ineffectual.
i think it need extension where it mounts to the chassis. Have you had any probs here?

Thanks for your help.

Are you talking about the sway bar?? I did add sway bar extensions with new bushings. I have added a picture of it in post #11

Good build mate and a very nice looking 74 you have there.

Thanks for the info mate. I saw that picture after I posted. I'm not much of a mechanic but I do like to work on the cruiser myself when I can. You have a very good rig there!!!!!

Have a good one,

Gav.

Thanks for the inspiration 71.

I ordered some caster shims today. 3 degree. That should hopefully improve my steering troubles. I have a 2.5" OME spring lift and 1" body lift. Also going to replace the shocks at the same time. I have nitro's like yours at the moment but have been looking at EFS or Mallee Bull (some Aussie shockers) but still researching. Maybe rancho's, funds are limited, but I need as much bang for my buck as I can get.

Whats next on the Mod's list?

Cheers Buddy,

Gav.

Thanks for the inspiration 71.

I ordered some caster shims today. 3 degree. That should hopefully improve my steering troubles. I have a 2.5" OME spring lift and 1" body lift. Also going to replace the shocks at the same time. I have nitro's like yours at the moment but have been looking at EFS or Mallee Bull (some Aussie shockers) but still researching. Maybe rancho's, funds are limited, but I need as much bang for my buck as I can get.

Whats next on the Mod's list?

Cheers Buddy,

Gav.

I hope the shims solve the problem. I have no real recommendation on the shocks, other then to say the OME that come with the lift are definitely too short. Let me know what you go with as I eventually will be changing mine as well

Good Luck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom