Heater/defrost fan switch problem(??) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a Canadian HJ60 (24 volt) that just developed a problem with the heater/defrost fan control. The first two speeds of the fan switch does nothing. The fan operates normal in the third and fourth speed settings though.
I don't think that it could be a problem with the blower motor as it still operates normally in the two high speeds.
Could it be the switch(??) or is there something else that I should be looking at? When I put the fan switch in the off position I can hear a relay click coming from behind the dash behind the area where the dash light dimmer knob is.
The fan switch just stopped working properly a couple of days ago. Seems everything starts breaking down in the cold weather!!!

mine did that and it was just dirty and loose connection...bought new motor thinking that was problem and when I unplugged everything the motor did not arrive that day. So reconnected and cleaned and it started working and fan arrived next day. :) Still got new fan in garage....been 4 months now or more.

Clean all the contacts with electrical cleaner.Either fan or switch with cruisers this old. Mike

Most probably your fan speed control resistor bank has the first 2 resistors (low and second speed) blown. It is located in the heater box, just inboard and above your acellerator pedal. The third resistor is the third speed and high is just straight full voltage to the fan. At least you have those two left!!!!
There are a number of threads on this if you search.
Good luck!

Try searching for " hj60 heater relay " , good thread on the subject.

Last edited:
Most probably your fan speed control resistor bank has the first 2 resistors (low and second speed) blown. It is located in the heater box, just inboard and above your acellerator pedal. The third resistor is the third speed and high is just straight full voltage to the fan. At least you have those two left!!!!
There are a number of threads on this if you search.
Good luck!

Try searching for " hj60 heater relay " , good thread on the subject.

I also don't have the use of my first two fan settings. I have searched too little avail. Also could not find a replacement for the resister bank on the Spector on line catalog. Is there a simple fix for this problem? It's not a big problem, but in summer the A/C is too cold and in winter the heater is too hot! You need the slow fan speed for it all to be just right!

Thanks for any additional info.

At least your Land Cruiser produces heat!!!! :crybaby:

I also don't have the use of my first two fan settings. I have searched too little avail. Also could not find a replacement for the resister bank on the Spector on line catalog. Is there a simple fix for this problem? It's not a big problem, but in summer the A/C is too cold and in winter the heater is too hot! You need the slow fan speed for it all to be just right!

A year ago there was a post in which it was stated that one had been purchased at Napa for a reasonable price. I need to do it myself, my first two speeds are dead.

I just fixed mine today. It was a broken resistor element. I repaired it by putting a couple of 1.5 ohm resistors in series and soldering it, replacing the broken resistor element. The two grey blocks are the 1.5 ohm resistors I used. Great side job during a slow day at work.
Works great now.
Thanks Roalco for leading me in the right direction.
The hardest part of the job was removing one of the two screws holding the resistor assembly to the heater box.
Now only if it weren't cold outside. It was -15 degress Celsius this morning!!

A year ago there was a post in which it was stated that one had been purchased at Napa for a reasonable price. I need to do it myself, my first two speeds are dead.
DSC00786.JPG
DSC00788.JPG
DSC00789.JPG

Last edited:
Can i get a revival?!

So i looked around and pulled my AC Blower Motor Resistor out because the 1st blower setting was/is not working. The resistor costs anywhere from $40-$50 from AutoZone, Carquest, etc, but i don't think its worth it for just the one setting being broken.
My question is, can this coil/spring just be soldered back together or do i have to do exactly like the gentleman above did and solder resistors in series?
IMG_0761[1].jpg

You won' be able to solder the resistor element itself ( the coil) it gets too hot and will quickly unsolder itself, that is if you can even get it to flow on the burnt inconel element.

roalco said:
You won' be able to solder the resistor element itself ( the coil) it gets too hot and will quickly unsolder itself, that is if you can even get it to flow on the burnt inconel element.

Ok thank you.

Sent from my rotary phone

Those resistors that I used in place of the factory "coil" resistor can be bought from most electronics surplus stores for $2-5 each.

87 HJ60 said:
Those resistors that I used in place of the factory "coil" resistor can be bought from most electronics surplus stores for $2-5 each.

Do they have to look like the ones you soldered or can I use any 1.5ohm resistor?
Can i use a lesser ohm resistor or must it be 1.5?

Edit: I bought two resistors($.96 from Frys) that were 1.5ohms that have the box look. My ride is an FJ60. Hope its not going to be a problem.

Last edited:
Ok, so I just went ahead and soldered on a new 1.5ohm. It worked. Hurray.

$.96 instead $50 for a whole new resistor assembly.

image-396733641.jpg
image-120427241.jpg
image-1786905786.jpg

Nice work.
Sometimes you can get by with improvising. This was a simple and easy fix; $0.96 sounds a lot better than $50!!

I just used my multimeter to meaasure the resistance of the original coil that broke off.
I can't remember what the exact resistance measured was but it must have been close to 3 ohms. Hence I used two 1.5 ohms resistors in series giving a net resistance of approx. 3 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom