Crankshaft pulley bolt/nut 46mm & 1 13/16th same size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems like every major undertaking I end up with a new tool. For the engine rebuild it was the ability to turn the crankshaft for valve adjustment/TDC without moving the vehicle.

For those interested parties, the large nut on the crankshaft pulley is 46mm, but the much cheaper 1 13/16" socket is approximately the same size and works like a dream. I purchased mine for about $11US from the local tractor/farm supply store. With the plugs out and the transmission in neutral it was easy to turn the crank. (Of course, the battery was out, wheels blocked, etc...as the engine was also apart.) I also trimmed the fan housing at the bottom to better accomodate the ratchet and socket.

What was the previous method of achieving TDC? On a flat surface - 4th gear, brakes off and push gently while watching the needle in the observation window until aligned; then set brake and place in gear. Always have something behind the wheels to catch the runaway in case she goes too far!

Now, just make sure wheels are blocked and emergency brake is on. Neutral, battery disconnected, plugs out and crank.

Cool info on the cheaper socket.

When adjusting the valves, I always popped the clutch cover off and rotated the flywheel by hand with the timing window open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom