2008 LC 200 V. 2008 SEQUOIA / I own both my 2 cents (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A member asked me some questions and I can't figure out how to reply privately.

I saw you mention you have both vehicles, I am looking for a relatively unbiased comparision:

I am looking for a daily driver for my wife, and something large enough for the family trips (my wife and I and 4 kids, we use all 3 rows in the the TLCs). I am looking at getting an 08+ TLC or a Limited 5.7 Sequioa (w/ rear DVD and 8 seatbelts, not the 2nd row captain chairs).

Which would you recommend as a daily driver?

THE LC IS EASIER TO MANUEVER AROUND, AND THE LC RIDES A LITTLE BETTER (BUT OUR SEQUOIA HAS 20 INCH RIMS WHICH COULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE). I THINK THE LC IS A PRETTIER CAR, AND ITS SMALLER.

Do you notice an MPG difference between the two?

THE SEQUOIA 2WD WE HAVE GETS SLIGHTLY BETTER MILEAGE, AT LEAST 2MPH BETTER.

What is the difference in ride quality between the two?

NONE REALLY OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT THE SEQUOIA FEELS A BIT ROUGHER. THE SEQUOIA HAS A LONGER WHEELBASE.

How does the Sequoia interior fit and feel compare to the TLC?

LC IS A GOOD BIT NICER. REMEMBER THERE IS A SEQUOIA PLATINUM WHICH ACTUALLY OFFERS REALLY NICE STUFF SUCH AS COOLED SEATS WHICH LC DOES NOT.

How does the seating comfort in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rows compare between the two?

COMFORT IS SAME IN 2 FRONT SEATS. WE HAVE CAPTAINS CHAIRS IN SEQUOIA. SEQUOIA HAS A TON MORE ROOM FOR 2ND ROW SEATS. BOTTOM LINE. THIRD ROW COMFORT SAME. 3RD ROW SEQUOIA SEATS FOLD DOWN INTO FLOOR BOARD WHICH IS GREAT FOR SPACE.

I want a full time 4x4 for winter weather, if I understand correctly, the Sequoia has a full time setting with a Torsen Diff, similar to the 200 series.

I AM UNSURE AS MY SEQUOIA IS NOT 4WD. ALL THE GUYS ON HERE SEEM TO SAY SEQUOIA IS NOT REALLY FOR HARD CORE 4WD.

My wife was driving an 05 TLC and loved it. Unfortunately, we had to sell it due to temporay economic issues. Now she is driving the 97, which is still a great rig, but not as civil as the 05.

Before we bought the 05 TLC, we looked at a 2008 Suburban, but we were turned off by the interior and wear on a vehicle only a year old, the 05 had three times as many miles but still felt like it had much more useful life left than the Suburban.

I LOOKED AT 08 TAHOES AND SUBURBANS. FRIEND HAS 2008 TAHOE SO DOES BROTHER IN LAW. ANOTHER FRIEND AHS 2009 SUBURBAN. INTERIOR LOOKS PRETTY CHEESY COMPARED TO TOYOTA. OWNED A 2002 YUKON BABIED IT AND ENGINE BLEW FOR NO REASON. I AM DONE WITH GM CARS.

I have not had a chance to compare the two side by side, but on paper they are essentially the same drivetrain (other than KSS vs rear IRS) and the Sequoia is longer.

YES THIS IS TRUE. SEQUOIA IS HUGE COMPARED TO LC. I FEEL LIKE I AM DRIVING A 2500 SERIES PICKUP OR SOMETHING DRIVING SEQUOIA. ITS TOO BIG FOR ME TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH BUT MY WIFE LOVES IT. IT HAS BETTER TOWING CAPACITY THAN LC.

I know the 200 series is better off-road, but I have a semi built 97 TLC for that. I was wondering if the 200 series is worth the $15k extra for on road and mild off road use.

THAT WOULD BE YOUR CALL. I WAS ABLE TO GET A 2008 LC FOR UNDER $60K BRAND NEW IN EARLY 2009 (WAS STILL ON LOT). SEQUOIA LIMITED WOULD PROBABLY BE WITHIN 10K OF THAT.

Rather than typing up a long reply, would you mind giving me a call or I can call you if you name a good time to call.

HA HA ALREADY TYPED IT UP.

Well thanks for posting that. I wasn't the one who asked the questions but I have been wondering the same thing. In fact, we just got back from the Toyota dealer. We were looking at the Tundra, Sequoia, and the LC. I was completely turned off by the build quality of the Tundra and Sequoia (Platinum edition no less). The LC felt much more manageable on a daily basis because the Sequoia just felt way too big.

Anyway, thanks for posting it for all of us to see!

Well thanks for posting that. I wasn't the one who asked the questions but I have been wondering the same thing. In fact, we just got back from the Toyota dealer. We were looking at the Tundra, Sequoia, and the LC. I was completely turned off by the build quality of the Tundra and Sequoia (Platinum edition no less). The LC felt much more manageable on a daily basis because the Sequoia just felt way too big.

Anyway, thanks for posting it for all of us to see!

I went through the same dilemma. I was looking for a large sized SUV for my wife and the kids (1.5 and 4 y.o.). I wanted a vehicle that is safe, big enough to tow a 5000 + lb boat if in need, reliable, easy to drive and not over the top bling. I test drove just about everything out there (Range rover HSE, Supercharger, Escalade, Yukon, Sequoia, etc.) There is no true substitute for LC reliability, build quality, understated presence, capability and heritage. Domestic SUVs just seemed excessive at multiple levels. Some were all about the bling without substance. Some were capable but not reliable. For me and my family, LC was a hands down winner.

Great post. I went through the same ropes. I almost ended up getting a new range rover. But the reliablity is not good. I looked the H2 and you have to admit "it's cool looking and makes Eco freaks mad" hehe. But it's still a gm with a sub. Platform. LC 200 and never looked back

I know this is resurrecting the dead, but I wanted to say thanks to the OP on this thread.:beer:

The wife and I rented a Tahoe 4wd for a week in the mountains and loved it.
Decided we wanted to go Yukon XL or Suburban.

Yesterday, driving by the Toyota dealership in my area, a 4wd Sequoia caught my eye.

Went back, played with it, sat in it, really liked it, but wondered what others thought about the difference in the GM product and the Toyota.

I know this is a Toyota website, but the OP's comments were right on target.

I know this is resurrecting the dead, but I wanted to say thanks to the OP on this thread.:beer:

The wife and I rented a Tahoe 4wd for a week in the mountains and loved it.
Decided we wanted to go Yukon XL or Suburban.

Yesterday, driving by the Toyota dealership in my area, a 4wd Sequoia caught my eye.

Went back, played with it, sat in it, really liked it, but wondered what others thought about the difference in the GM product and the Toyota.

I know this is a Toyota website, but the OP's comments were right on target.

Considering this a Land Cruiser forum I find this thread as "funny". The underpinnings, guts, build quality and the like of the Cruiser dwarf that of the Sequoia and especially the GM products. Not even in the same league...and no offense either as they are not priced in the same class either. It's not about wheelbase, size, drive, feel and the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom