What is the normal engine temperature fzj80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

or, on early 80s, get a Koso gauge - same numbers obsessing, though

My 97 LX runs at 195 around town and on the interstate. Sits at 200 when on the trails. That's what the scanguage tells me. :D

just about right for our 80 here in Baton Rouge, too

now, the LX in Arizona can run hotter, depending on outside temps - waiting at stop lights in town got to the hottest temperature of 213 this summer so far

For me 181-185 seems to be the normal & 195-200 on the mountain passes of colorado - on hot days more noticeable than cool days. not sure why - but have the Ultra Gauge, and live on a pass, so every time I drive I watch the pass temps rise on my way home. hope that helps ya!

Mine runs 184-190 normal driving. When I pull my large tent trailer, loaded with 6 people in the cruiser, all the gear and bikes, I hear my tuned blue-hub fan clutch kick in at 198 and the temp then slowly goes towards 203, but rarely hits 205. This even up the long Colorado mountain passes. I've been on a scale loaded like this and I am right at 11K lbs.

A few more data points on normal. With the AC on 200-205 seems average. No AC 195-200. In the winter the 180's. I regularly have to turn off the AC when going over the passes in CO in the summer. This summer i have started to need to run the heater when pulling a loaded trailer over the passes. I foresee a new radiator and other cooling PM work in my future.

I'm in Reno where it can get up to 120 deg. My rig is well armored and has an SC. My A/C used to crap out routinely until I replaced the fan clutch (thanks guys for the input on that)... Now the temps run 180-210, rarely 220 if I'm pulling hard up a trail. The A/C never fails.

I have noticed the SC does not function well when the temp is pushing 210-220. Might be due to it having to work against the fan...

I have a 94 FZJ80, I replaced the alternator this weekend and I'd swear the temp gauge is showing the engine hotter than normal (and yes I know the engine temp. & the alternator have no correlation), the needle is sitting right at the halfway point. Is this typical of most stock 80's? My truck is my wife's grocery-getter, all around hauler, no mods or heavy driving, I bought it for her strictly out of safety for her and our kids. Any comments would help. Thanks!

There is a correlation between the two as the same belts that drive the alternator drive the water pump. Check the belt tension. The 94 is not ODBII compliant so scangauge or ultra gauge will not work.

after I replaced my fan clutch to a blue hub/20k oil, on the hottest days it got up to 212/214 ish. that was in the sand at low speed. it did run cooler with the lockers on.

Mine seems to like 190. It'll run like that all day long. Today (104*) in stop and go traffic (and stuck at a train crossing). Long grades in this kind of heat it'll go to just over 200. Coasting and downhill it'll drop to like 186 or something.

- Blue hub/~12500, pretty new radiator/cap

image.jpg
It was 114* today at my house. It was 94* by 10am!!!!

Here is how my truck is running. The low IA # is thanks to the snork.

View attachment 1125997 It was 114* today at my house. It was 94* by 10am!!!!

Here is how my truck is running. The low IA # is thanks to the snork.
Why only 12.4V? Mine's never in the 12's even w/brights on, LED light bar on, A/C on high, radio on & in gear stopped w/foot on brakes. W/just A/C & radio it's 14V+.

Why only 12.4V? Mine's never in the 12's even w/brights on, LED light bar on, A/C on high, radio on & in gear stopped w/foot on brakes. W/just A/C & radio it's 14V+.

Because my Sequoia 150A alt is dying a slow death :(

Go with a KOSO slim gauge off of amazon. They are about 50$ and require 2 wires to be hooked up. Super easy.

I run around 185 in the am and under 95*days and 195on hot summer days or big grades. typically.

Is it dying a slow death or is the low idle speed of the 80 just not turning the alt fast enough to generate juice? Has it always been low? I do know at one point there was a smaller pulley right?

Just curious as I am going to need the extra juice for my build since I am going to do electric fans, electric water pump and 2 fuel pumps.

Yeah my original was fine. I did the Photoman upgrade about 4/5 years ago. Time to replace it.

Is it dying a slow death or is the low idle speed of the 80 just not turning the alt fast enough to generate juice? Has it always been low? I do know at one point there was a smaller pulley right?

Just curious as I am going to need the extra juice for my build since I am going to do electric fans, electric water pump and 2 fuel pumps.

It's definitely a slow death. Voltage output has been decreasing over the past 1000 miles. I have the smaller alt pulley and the smaller water pump pulley so that I can get the most out of it at low speed/idle.

Last edited:
It's definitely a slow death. Voltage output has been decreasing over the past 1000 miles. I have the smaller alt pulley and the smaller crank pulley so that I can get the most out of it at low speed/idle.

I hope you mean larger crank pulley otherwise your alternator and water pump will be turning slower.

I dont see the fuss, just do the temp-gauge mod! No, not the one everyone does to the 80-series ohms in the cluster. PM @ChaseTruck for details. If we're really lucky, he might share some secrets in this thread!

image.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom