Saving The Old Rustbucket--My 1982 FJ40 Tale (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason reading this reminds of Ed Abbey's A Fool's Progress, but more upbeat.

Yep! I loved that book.

I guess it is silly to reply to a post that is over 2 years old, but I am loving this read. I am a little late to the party, story of my life...

Just hop in the back seat and enjoy the ride with the rest of us.

Here's what I know as of this afternoon. According to the pulmonologist my Dad's condition has not improved since his hospitalization last Tuesday. He's still being treated for pneumonia and a right chest pleural effusion. As you can imagine, pneumonia is rough on a 91 year old and he was already frail before this came up. He had a thoracentesis (pleural tap) last Thursday and 2.3 liters of fluid were drained from his pleural cavity. The fluid buildup has recurred and they're doing a second tap now, as I write this. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that he's confused about where he is and why he's here so there isn't much conversation. He is lucid at times but isn't able to speak more than a few words without gasping for breath. He sleeps most of the time but periodically will open his eyes and ask a question. Late last night a nurse came in to check his vitals and when she woke him he seemed agitated. He asked if his "boy" was here. That's me, still his boy. She pointed to me and that seemed to ease his mind. I'm not goin' anywhere.

As I keep saying, and I can't say it enough, thanks to all of you for your concern and well wishes for Army. Keep them coming.

My goodness Lee... Reading these posts makes me appreciate my Dad, my Son, and my Wife even more.
I have been a jerk to my Dad when I was young and stupid. Now that I am not young (what do you call early 40's, am I middle aged now?). I sure do appreciate having him around. And having a son of my own has given me so many insights into the challenges he faced as he tried to run lead his family.

The thought of Army in his struggle and asking for his boy just really got to me this morning...

Army Jr.

Army,

For years my good friend Lee had an email address that started with armyjr@.

I did not think too much about it until years later after, when I knew him so much better. Why would a Naval Aviator have Army as his nom de guerre of an email address. I do not remember ever asking. If I did and he told me I do not remember.

You might wonder where his other title in the Land Cruiser world comes from. He has been Commander Armstrong since April of 2004. It started as a tongue in cheek ribbing over his debonaire handsomeness and demeanor and his affection for bling on his otherwise manly vehicles. Another 3FE guy, Greg Thompson, was going too far on his bumper plans for his FJ62 so I gave him the business, "Buy an ARB bull bar and have it chrome dipped! Are you in some kind of competition with Grandmaster Flash Commander Lee? Of Course Lee protested this ribbing, but surely not vigorously enough,"David (and Greg),
Good grief, my honorary title seems to get longer with every post. Grandmaster Flash Commander ??....does have a nice ring to it, kinda like Flash Gordon, but it's hard to fit on my business cards. What ever happened to plain old Boy-Racer?

FWIW, TJM makes a polished alloy bull bar for the 62, which they claim is lighter and stronger than the steel version. I think it'll take a winch. Unfortunately, you have to order them directly from Australia. Or, you could just buy a generic black ARB, and have it painted red to match those bling-bling bushings.

Lee"

Dunbar"

Excellent context - thanks Dunbar!

I thought maybe he was the Commander in Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen:

Hot Rod Lincoln

Don't forget Mama Hated Diesels

This story evokes strains of the Flying Burrito Brothers - 6 Days On The Road:

Army Jr.

Army,

For years my good friend Lee had an email address that started with armyjr@.

I did not think too much about it until years later after, when I knew him so much better. Why would a Naval Aviator have Army as his nom de guerre of an email address. I do not remember ever asking. If I did and he told me I do not remember.

You might wonder where his other title in the Land Cruiser world comes from. He has been Commander Armstrong since April of 2004. It started as a tongue in cheek ribbing over his debonaire handsomeness and demeanor and his affection for bling on his otherwise manly vehicles. Another 3FE guy, Greg Thompson, was going too far on his bumper plans for his FJ62 so I gave him the business, "Buy an ARB bull bar and have it chrome dipped! Are you in some kind of competition with Grandmaster Flash Commander Lee? Of Course Lee protested this ribbing, but surely not vigorously enough,"David (and Greg),
Good grief, my honorary title seems to get longer with every post. Grandmaster Flash Commander ??....does have a nice ring to it, kinda like Flash Gordon, but it's hard to fit on my business cards. What ever happened to plain old Boy-Racer?

FWIW, TJM makes a polished alloy bull bar for the 62, which they claim is lighter and stronger than the steel version. I think it'll take a winch. Unfortunately, you have to order them directly from Australia. Or, you could just buy a generic black ARB, and have it painted red to match those bling-bling bushings.

Lee"

Dunbar"

Last song reference (for a while), I keep getting the feeling that Grandmaster Flash Commander Sea Knight Lee will happen on some hapless folk needing assistance and help them out, only to find out they are famous. Obviously it would be cool to fix Merle's flat tire, but something tells me Gretchen Wilson would be more Lee's luck/style?

Pure Prairie League - I'll Fix Your Flat Tire, Merle:

"Well I hear you had an adventerous youth, making love in a telephone booth..."

Army

Dear MUD friends,

I wanted you all to know that Army passed away in Oklahoma City early this morning. The old warrior gave it the good fight but ultimately it was too much, even for him. He was 91.

I'll write more about him later but at this time I'm not finding the words. He was one of those tough guys you thought would be around forever. At least we know that he's at peace now, and with my Mom.

Know that my family and I appreciate the many kind PM's, emails, and MUD posts from each of you during his recent illness. I feel as though many of you came to know Army through the earlier chapters in this tale, although I doubt I was able to do him justice. He was truly a remarkable person in more ways than I could possibly describe. When you think of the Greatest Generation, of grit and courage, that was Army. He will be missed, more than I can say.

Lee

Lee,

Words fail me...

So sorry for your loss.

When I think of my Father, and our relationship, this poem fits sometimes, not sure if that means it would fit you...

How do we forgive our Fathers?
Maybe in a dream
Do we forgive our Fathers for leaving us too often or forever
when we were little?
Maybe for scaring us with unexpected rage
or making us nervous
because there never seemed to be any rage there at all.
Do we forgive our Fathers for marrying, or not marrying our Mothers?
For Divorcing, or not divorcing our Mothers?
And shall we forgive them for their excesses of warmth or coldness?
Shall we forgive them for pushing or leaning
for shutting doors
for speaking through walls
or never speaking
or never being silent?
Do we forgive our Fathers in our age or in theirs
or their deaths
saying it to them or not saying it?
If we forgive our Fathers what is left?
-
Dick Lourie

As in Jr. Brown? He does rock and it's always big fun to watch the faces of the youngsters when they find out that Jr. can channel Jimi Hendrix as well as anyone. Seeing him in the little clubs, as with most performers, is always the best. The Beat Farmers comes to mind when remembering stunning shows in dive bars.
Ball game's over Commander, back to work!

Junior Brown is the real deal. The first thing I thought when I saw Jr Brown is that we have to tip our hats to the Mrs. Commander Sea Knight Lee who so graciously sanctioned this great adventure. (Or who knows, perhaps she just needed to get Lee out of her hair for a while!) Either way, she must be a great lady...

The Better Half

Sunday Afternoon Windup

Indeed they do. Speaking of the old days, I saw Murphy perform at Armadillo World Headquarters in the mid 70's, shortly before it was demolished. Talked with him backstage between sets. Very nice, humble guy.

Lee :beer:

Armadillo World Headquarters?!?

I love armadillos (long story), I'll have to look this place up!

Hell of a thread, was glued to the phone between calls at station while I was on shift. Started page one a week ago and just finished tonight. Hope all is well with Commander and we hear the upcoming story soon!

Sure as hell makes me miss my old 72' 40.

I got clean and sober a little over 3 years ago and it's the best decision I have ever made. I'm glad I can vicariously partake alongside those of you who know how to enjoy finer brews responsibly. You're having one for me whether you know it or not!

Thanks again!

Congratulations chazehen, good job!

I was wondering if I was the only non-drinker here...

I was wondering if I was the only non-drinker here...
Me, you, Chaz.... We're starting a movement. {insert "Alice's restaurant" reference here}

No way. He is in residence in Austin with many distractions. Weekly WALCS meetings at the local clubhouse, honey dos for Kathy etc. When he hits the road with his wife, who is employed, he has to keep himself busy with something. Otherwise he well get dragged into conversations with attorneys from her company at cocktail parties at locales that do not serve good beer. They tend to ask stupid questions that try the nerves. We don't want the Commander to blow his cover by sucker punching one of them to the curb costing Kathy her job. He will instead retire to the private balcony with a belly full of Pliny to continue the trail. He also has a plantation to attend to in Mississippi. With no internet he will find time at night to write. Fear not.

After spending 4 days with him last weekend, tending to the MS plantation, I can tell all that two things the Commander lacks are NOT stories to tell, or the propensity to tell them. Be patient.

First, a blanket apology to everyone who was following this tale. I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back on track. I could offer excuses, and I do have a few, but my Dad, Army, always told me that no one wanted to hear excuses so I'm not gonna bother offering them up. My hope is that we didn't lose anyone who was riding along in the back.

I don't have a new chapter completed, yet, but I did discover a set of long lost photos from the trip, taken with a cheapo disposable camera. As a way of easing back into the story I'll start posting them, a few at a time, and cross reference them to the appropriate chapter. Trying to figure out where they fit will be a good refresher, at least for me.

I'm driving from Texas to Oklahoma this weekend, in a beater 40, retracing the first leg of the Turtle saga. After barreling through the countryside in an ancient truck for 10 hours, barring any disaster, I'll be inspired to start writing as soon as I cross the Red River.

Photos, Batch 1:

1. The Turtle, parked on the street beside my house, the day I met Tucker74. Probably in the same spot. Pg 2, Post 22
2. Poser pic of me and The Turtle, the day before leaving Austin, in the greenbelt across from my house. Pg 3, Post 46
3. Glancy Motel, Clinton, Oklahoma, the morning after the storm. Pg 8, Post 149
4. The Turtle at the Route 66 Museum, Elk City, Oklahoma, a few miles west of Clinton. Not mentioned in any chapter but should have been. I'll fix it in the book version.

The Turtle--Bull Creek--2005.jpg
Lee and The Turtle--SC Greenbelt-March 2005-2.jpg (2).jpg
Glancy Motor Hotel-5-Clinton, OK.jpg
Turtle 1-Route 66 Museum-2-Elk City, OK.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom