Saving The Old Rustbucket--My 1982 FJ40 Tale (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great story, I am working on my second one now and everything I touch is rusted :(
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image4.jpg

I have been a Land Cruiser guy since I was a small kid I am 39 now and have several. I could really relate to your adventures.
My wife is a Cruiser chick by default. For about a week I read your story to her a few chapters a night. We were really sad when we found the end of your writing.

Last edited:
I found a set of 5 original steel rims that have never been used before. The tires are 215 70R 15 mud tires. I finished the corrosion issues in the back and now I am working the frame corrosion issues in the front. While doing that, I pulled the smelly AC unit and now finding that the wiring is a MESS so I will probably pull the whole wire harness and build a new one. Fun Stuff haha

IMG_1599.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1613.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

While I understand the sentiment of this thread, and I myself truly enjoyed reading and eagerly anticipating the next installment, it really needs to be no longer a sticky.

Blasphemy, I know. Please hear me out.

Look at the facts though, Lee has not posted anything to this thread since September 17th, 2014. Well over a year has passed and there have been no updates, not even a "Hey, still working on it"

It seems sad to think that that would mean this thread and the story would be lost in the mundane topics of the "40s Tech" forever being buried further and further from view to be eventually forgotten... yet I think this thread has already been forgotten, not by those of us who await the continuation of the story in the next installment which we are ever hopeful is just around the corner, but by the author himself.

There will not be many who agree with my opinion, most would prefer to have this thread remain a sticky. Similar to how there is always that sweet 40 sitting under a tree in some guy's yard. He was working on it for a few years, got it back into good condition then for whatever reason had to park it. He always said he would get back on it when he had time, make it "off the showroom" mint. Tomorrow, always tomorrow. You have stopped and asked about it before, he isn't selling because it is simply an unfinished project. Every day you have to drive past that 40, thinking about what could have been, lamenting on the memories of experiences in your past that seeing it invokes. Instead you watch as it slowly ages, never moving from that spot.

This thread is that 40. It's time to move it behind the garage where no one has to watch it rust into oblivion.

I have to reluctantly agree. As much as I freaking loved this thread when it was live I get so let down when a new post is from someone that just found it. Thank you Lee for taking us here but you can't be held to it anymore. If you ever get to it again we will find you and follow like the minions we are. Love the tale you wove in our brains. Thanks again.:beer::clap:

Next time the Commander stops by I'll ask him wassup. Maybe tomorrow - OGCT rocks!

Steve (@overhanger), I hope the snow doesn't slow him down too much. The weather was pretty sketchy on his way out of Idaho.

Last edited:
Steve (@overhanger), I hope the snow doesn't slow him down too much. The weather was pretty sketchy on his way out of Idaho.
Just got a post from the Commander and Old Guys Cruiser Transports Services has met with some misfortune. Sounds like the 40 being transported wasn't up to the trip - not without some surgery anyway and the weather isn't cooperating, either. Thanks to friends like Eric Vogt Lee is back on the road and diving south west of CO so we won't be seeing him this go round.
Safe travels, as always, Commander.

Last edited:
I dialed into this thread 3 weeks ago simply because I own an '82 FJ40 and it's... well... sort of a rusty thing also. I figured on picking up some useful tech info and advice but ending up not caring much 'bout that after a few pages (as I'm aware many others felt as well). I'm glad the thread is where it is or I may never have run across it. This may prove to be the case for future 'seekers of tech wisdom'. They deserve the chance to discover and enjoy these stories as well...

I had to read a book for an English assignment in high school years ago - "To Kill A Mockingbird" which was released in 1960... I did not like to read at that time but did like this particular book and remember thinking it would be nice to find out what became of the characters.... In 2015, the story continues -

So as for this thread...................... :cheers:

Last edited:
Sea knights story will live on!
I know at some point or sometime he will post something up. If not the next chapter to his great story but at least an update!
I am sure life has gotten in the way! I am sure the story is in back of his mind picking at him at what he can write and when he will write. In time, in time, I say the story continue to be a "Sticky" .

Sent from my iPhone

I totally agree on the sticky part. This is a epic story and I believe it will continue. Good things come to those who are patient. I'm sure this story has inspired many people including myself. Having three fj40's in the past and settling the past few years with a jeep, I decided to get back into the Landcruiser world with a 79 fj40 after reading this story. Can't wait to see what's next....

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
I totally agree on the sticky part. This is a epic story and I believe it will continue. Good things come to those who are patient. I'm sure this story has inspired many people including myself. Having three fj40's in the past and settling the past few years with a jeep, I decided to get back into the Landcruiser world with a 79 fj40 after reading this story. Can't wait to see what's next....

Sent from my iPhone

I as well enjoyed this tale and hope to see it brought up to date when he see's fit. I too am returning to the FJ40 world after a 20- plus year hiatus. Hoping to pick up a 79 this afternoon which will have it's own journey. I just found pictures of my old 79 and it brought back some fond memories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom