Roof rack tiedowns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like BlueWater 7mm accessory cord tensile strength 2600 lbs
or NRS 1" wide polypropylene webbing tensile strength 1500 lbs

I understand for most people knots can be elusive. I spent 10 years as a kayak Instructor and every day we would have to secure 2-20 boats. It’s a lot quicker then nylon straps when you understand it, plus cheaper.

I was also a yakima rack pro installer at that time so I definitely see the point for the nylon straps.
I drove a furniture delivery truck, worked on the woods, and did a ton of construction jobs. I have no issue with tying knots in rope, straps are faster, just my opinion.

The elusive knot... Not (pun intended) sure I ever heard that one before... :)

Anyone who struggles with the elusive knot can install 'grog knots' in their iPhone... Probably available for android too.

Knots are organized by category and the instructions are animated... Or, you can step thru the instructions.

Knot tutorials are available offline - no cell signal is required.

I keep this app in my old iPhone and carry it when 'out', especially fly fishing, because there are certain knots that are very seldom used... Nail knot, blood knot, etc. Truckers knot is there as well.

It's NOT rocket science... Another intended pun... :)

But, straps for roof rack or cargo baskets are simply intuitive... So, much quicker to get loaded (but, don't try to tie a knot, while loaded :rolleyes:), strapped and on the road.

To each his own.. If rope works better for you, great! I'll stick with ratchet straps, for cargo, and save my rope for other uses. :cool:

We load flatbed trucks were I work with Heavy Equipment, of about every shape and size.
Drivers use 10K ratchet straps and check straps (and tires with same bar) religiously.
They told me you would not believe how often straps come loose as freight shifts.

We load flatbed trucks were I work with Heavy Equipment, of about every shape and size.
Drivers use 10K ratchet straps and check straps (and tires with same bar) religiously.
They told me you would not believe how often straps come loose as freight shifts.

True, as attributed by the number of straps lying all over the highways. It isn't what you use as much as how it is used.
What ever you are tying down, whether it be a box or bag, try to have an attached loop, handle, strap that is affixed so you
can strap through or over that so in the event it does loosen, you are stilll more or less attached to it. If there is a handle, then
your strap should utilize it. Also, things will go in all directions, so strap in all directions. You want side to side, and front to rear.
If it's round, like the tube, have the flat strap lay flat around the tube for the full circumference, one over top, one over bottom.
This will stop said round tube from rolling out from under or over the straps.
For the first while, stop regularly and climb up there and check your straps, load position, and look for rubbing of items
together. Look for sharp edges, you don't want a sharp aluminum box to rub a hole through the 5 gal fuel can up there.
Anyhow, be a safe as you can.

x2 on the Gladiator cargo net. I use the following one over my roof rack when carrying camping gear. I did buy their optional s-hook kit as the hooks that came with the net didn't fasten well to my ARB roof rack. Driven many miles with this setup and zero issues.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZWKCVW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, had good luck with the Safari Net when carrying smaller cargo...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HRIIOD8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
^^X2 I use rope for a lot of functions, but never for securing a load anymore. Ratchet Straps are much quicker.

Same. Love rope, and you can secure just about anything with it. But quality ratchet straps or cam lock straps or so much quicker.
Don't buy cheap s*** ratchet straps. You'll end up with straps and no ratchets, or ratchets bent out of shape that won't work freely.

Ratchet Straps for me and I always recheck to make sure they stay tight.

Roller Cam straps are all I use and need these days; 5+ years and 100% pleased with them on all fronts.

Ratchet straps for my interior & exterior strapping needs are a PITA.

Not your Daddy's cam strap: Home

Roller Cam straps are all I use and need these days; 5+ years and 100% pleased with them on all fronts.

Ratchet straps for my interior & exterior strapping needs are a PITA.

Not your Daddy's cam strap: Home

Thanks for recommending RollerCams!! I had never heard of them... After ordering and using a couple in two lengths (4' and 12'), I can honestly say they are much easier to use than ratchet straps and not nearly as much of a pain in the ass to use and manage.

They hold extremely well and are replacing all my ratchet straps.

Thanks for recommending RollerCams!! I had never heard of them... After ordering and using a couple in two lengths (4' and 12'), I can honestly say they are much easier to use than ratchet straps and not nearly as much of a pain in the ass to use and manage.

They hold extremely well and are replacing all my ratchet straps.

Welcome! The Rollercam 1" can be tightened as tight as any 1" ratchet strap I've used.

And if you need a hook on each end of a strap, the hooks can be purchased (McMaster-Carr and many hardware stores) then a simple cut & sew to the Rollercam strap gives the best of both worlds.

Welcome! The Rollercam 1" can be tightened as tight as any 1" ratchet strap I've used. ...

Please explain... seems the leverage one can get with the ratchet strap would allow greater tension to be put on the strap.... no?

Please explain... seems the leverage one can get with the ratchet strap would allow greater tension to be put on the strap.... no?

Well you've probably been around the world of ratchet straps. The wally world/el crappo/cheap parts store variants IMHO are junk: Bad stitching, poor quality/thin nylon webbing, rust/corrosion prone and if you even slightly over tighten/torque them it usually requires a little quick handy work with the Benchmade ;), etc.

Whereas the Rollercam utilizes highly corrosion resistant cam materials and web strapping (sorry can't remember the rating of the strap material but its stout for 1") that is thick, strong with a slight amount of stretch (you can get the straps so tight you won't believe you are using a cam buckle type strap...).

I moved a 500lb Quincy 5hp/60-gallon steel vertical compressor in a U-Haul truck using three Rollercam straps. They were as tight at the end of the 300 mile journey as they were when I loaded and strapped it down. I'm not suggesting using these or any straps beyond their holding power/rating but for most if not all my household and Land Cruiser strapping needs my 1" (and some of my 2") ratchet straps go unused.

I can say this: For any 1" strap application give them a try. They're relatively inexpensive for 'risk' :) and I'm confident you'll order more after your first use.

For the record: I have zero involvement in/with the guy that produces and sells Rollercam straps; just a very, very satisfied customer.

I received a pair of Stratchits from a friend. Pretty cool product, but would not use for extreme loads, rated for 300#. Decent enough for duffles on the roof.
front-runner-stratchits-pair--STRA034-8.jpg

The side effect of making stuff like this.
jkgggggggggg%20003-XL.jpg

is that you end up with a massive amount of Kevlar strands, A few years back I made a net with them, proximate about a squire foot per segment, silly strong, I actually give it to a bunch of rock climber friends that like to spend time in the air in between two peaks, so far it has not fail and they have fit more than 15 people.

Doggie mat, they love it is so grippy and soft...
For light loads like on a motorcycle, road bikebtires work great, the have a rate of expansion, so the strech byt then come back to tight, hold the stuff perfectly...
jkgggggggggg%20007-XL.jpg

For light loads like on a motorcycle, road bike tires work great (with out the bead), the have a rate of expansion, so the stretch but then come back to tight, hold the stuff perfectly.

First test of many.
strap%20016-XL.jpg

Chainring bolts, what else..
strap%20015-XL.jpg

Look how much stretch under a heavy effort.
strap%20007-XL.jpg

For years I have carried two and two hock to the wide holes of the rack, absolutely silly the things I have carried..
Cara%20%26%20Lauren%20at%20the%20beach%20001-XL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom