Roof rack tiedowns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well this is a weak question but I have never carried anything on a roof rack. I am fixin to order a Baja Rack soon and I would like to ask exactly how/what you use to lash/tie down substantial objects on the rack. I plan to carry my Springbar tent (heavy), possibly a Disc-o-Bed (heavy), and probably a section of capped 8" PVC pipe for fishing rods, etc. Better safe than sorry.
Any advice appreciated,thanks, namsag.

I usually just use bungees. Wanting some of these however for tie down points.

1442160716936.jpg

bungees and elastic nets are not safe enough IMO. I use only strong ratchet straps. You really do not want to lose something on a public road. I also would only use a rack with raised sides so there is a barrier in case things slide around, and especially so in the front. It can be surprising how much things that you thought secure can move if subjected to enough bumps and vibration, and something that appears "stuck in place, wedged, etc" can sometime become very loose with only minor movement.

I use a combo of ratchet straps and a bungee net. The bungee net is more to minimize wind flapping and restrain light stuff.
What would be ideal in my opinion would be a net made from nylon webbing with tension buckles on all sides.

Same here... I use a Spidy Gear net, when needed, and always secure everything with good ratchet straps. My Spidy Gear web is over 8 years old and still perfectly usable.

If I'm going on a multi-day trip in 44, I pack two Rolla Bags, with supplies, in the rack and ratchet strap them down. I have two Rolla Bags that are at least 5 years old and they have never leaked.

I keep a close eye on the ratchet straps condition and replace them when they start to fray.

Check out steadymate track tie downs, I'll be using them in my rack build.

If it's soft stuff, I've used bungie cords/net for years. They work great..
Hard/heavy stuff needs to be a bit more secure..

We went on a 7800 mile trip last year, with 2600 miles being off-road on trails. I only used a combination of regular bungees and black rubber bungee cords. The black rubber ones are fantastic but will tend to melt and break if left in extreme heat for a number of days. We didn't need a ratchet strap for anything. If it's any consolation, I have a Gobi stealth rack, so the sides aren't high at all. Strapped down a scepter can, portable toilet, and three waterproof bags of clothing, all in front of the RTT.

So, that was your stuff I dodged last year!! ;)

Seriously, I would be very careful using bungees to secure anything that can kill or maim anyone who comes in contact with it, should it be thrown from your roof... What if you have an accident and a 5 gallon Jerry Can is launched thru someone's windshield and kills another driver?

I have dodged so many contractors' ladders over the years.

Be safe!

If you know how to tie a couple of knots, then I recommend using quality rope. A trucker's hitch with two half-hitches, can hold anything you want.

NRS (National River Supply) straps have been a standard in the rafting industry for decades. I have a variety of the 1" width straps which have a 1500 lb tensile strength and reliable cam buckle. You can get them from 1 foot to 20 feet. In addition to single straps, they have 2 piece "loop" straps that may serve you well for roofrack applications.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

50 yards...

If I'm going on a multi-day trip in 44, I pack two Rolla Bags, with supplies, in the rack and ratchet strap them down. I have two Rolla Bags that are at least 5 years old and they have never leaked.
You guys have to stop posting stuff for me to buy.....

If you know how to tie a couple of knots, then I recommend using quality rope. A trucker's hitch with two half-hitches, can hold anything you want.
My issue with rope is time, nylon web straps with ratchets of friction buckles are a lot faster to use. Since we break camp every day a few minutes here and there for set up and break down add up. If we drove some place and camped for a week it would be different.

I understand for most people knots can be elusive. I spent 10 years as a kayak Instructor and every day we would have to secure 2-20 boats. It’s a lot quicker then nylon straps when you understand it, plus cheaper.

I was also a yakima rack pro installer at that time so I definitely see the point for the nylon straps.

FB_IMG_1443142270450.jpg

that does not look like rope and definitely not like ROPE. Are you using strings to tie those kayaks? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom