Has anyone spent time in an ARB roof tent? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
Hope this post is allowed since this is mostly a US forum and I'm in the UK but has anyone bought and spent a good amount of time in an ARB roof tent?

I'd love to interview / get testimonials on those who have really spent a lot of time overlanding in it and talk about the comfort, its practical use, how easy it was to set up and the space inside.

I've rolled about in them but haven't spent serious time in them.

Many thanks in advance!

Roof top if your solo they are great, quick pack up, leave clothes and blankets all set up, only pita for me is climbing in & out, best ones are on pick ups so you can just step right to bed. I would shop before buying the arb , not saying they are less but there are major differences and access, wind duability,and for me staying dry while stowed is the most important.

Hi everyone,
Hope this post is allowed since this is mostly a US forum and I'm in the UK but has anyone bought and spent a good amount of time in an ARB roof tent?

I'd love to interview / get testimonials on those who have really spent a lot of time overlanding in it and talk about the comfort, its practical use, how easy it was to set up and the space inside.

I've rolled about in them but haven't spent serious time in them.

Many thanks in advance!
Are you asking specifically about the ARB RTTs or RTTs in general?

I have an ARB Simpson III RTT that is about 15 years old. I bought it well used in 2017 from the prior owner who used it for about 10 years going down Baja and through Mexico.

PXL_20221105_003758186.NIGHT.jpg

It's durable. The factory mattress sucks, Exped Megamat Duo fits perfect and is great. The ladder is terrible so I replaced it with a wider retractable ladder from an iKamper RTT with angled steps. The PVC cover shirks over time and the zipper stitching eventually fails because it gets so tight. The Velcro straps ARB uses are useless when they get dirty so I upgraded those straps with slide buckles. You can order replacement parts for the tent from ARB, I've replaced the rainfly and cover. The tent deploys quickly if you can reach it. I moved the tent from the cruiser to the trailer and couldn't be more pleased. It hasn't leaked on me yet, but I do treat the canvas with a water repellant spray. The annex makes a great privy and changing room.

Are you asking specifically about the ARB RTTs or RTTs in general?

I was originally asking about ARB roof tents because they are more popular in the US than in the UK and I want unique views from those who have spent a lot of time in them. I own a store and have spent time in them but since we have quite a few its hard to spend a lot of time in them.

We're currently in the process of having contributors to really give detailed opinions.

But I guess any from this list below to create some better testimonials

I have an ARB Simpson III RTT that is about 15 years old. I bought it well used in 2017 from the prior owner who used it for about 10 years going down Baja and through Mexico.

View attachment 3342363

It's durable. The factory mattress sucks, Exped Megamat Duo fits perfect and is great. The ladder is terrible so I replaced it with a wider retractable ladder from an iKamper RTT with angled steps. The PVC cover shirks over time and the zipper stitching eventually fails because it gets so tight. The Velcro straps ARB uses are useless when they get dirty so I upgraded those straps with slide buckles. You can order replacement parts for the tent from ARB, I've replaced the rainfly and cover. The tent deploys quickly if you can reach it. I moved the tent from the cruiser to the trailer and couldn't be more pleased. It hasn't leaked on me yet, but I do treat the canvas with a water repellant spray. The annex makes a great privy and changing room.

Oh thats interesting moving it over to the trailer. In the UK that isn't so common. What were the advantages moving over to the trailer for you and what was annoying having it on top?

Oh thats interesting moving it over to the trailer. In the UK that isn't so common. What were the advantages moving over to the trailer for you and what was annoying having it on top?
Moving the tent to the trailer was multifaceted.
1) The tent was cumbersome to fold up on top of the 100. I am 6'3" and had trouble getting the tent stuffed into the cover and packed up.
2) When packed up the ARB is about 12" tall. This brick on the roof reduced fuel economy, vehicle handling and the ability to get into garages. I get better freeway fuel economy pulling the trailer than I did the with tent on the roof.
3) A lot of the American West is under continual fire danger. My wife had reservations about the RTT due to the fussy packing ritual that took significant time. She feared needing to quickly evacuate a campsite due to fire or other natural disaster. With the trailer, if necessary, we could unhitch and get out in a matter of seconds.

PXL_20210904_011333619.NIGHT.jpg

The trailer itself has cons, but that is another discussion. If I went back to a tent on the roof, I would be inclined to try a hard shell that doesn't require access to all 4 sides of the tent to quickly pack up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom