Please help seized (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi

Yes rolls no problem when in neutral. I also set the timing about a week ago so no how to get the engine to turn over without starting it.

The 2 bearing caps that I took off, when I took them off you could move the pistons, so at least 2 of the pistons seem normal enough.

My next plan is to take all the caps off and try and turn the engine again.

If that doesn't help could it be the bearings that hold the crank to the block (sorry no idea of there name)

I'm not that familiar with pre-75 rigs, but the F engines can't be that much different than the 2Fs
I think the crank is lubed by the oil pump-rods by the oil pan splash--so, if the dizzy was not seated, there could have been oil starvation to the crank brgs, causing the seizing

To the OP... You need some knowledgeable ON-SITE help before you mess up what might be a perfectly good engine. If you remove the rod caps and turn the crank, the rods will be pushed off the crank one by one and as you turn the crank the rods will probably hit the crank journals and scar them, and then you'll have a real mess to deal with.

Last edited:
If it really is locked up try putting some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders through the spark plug holes. I have done this to a couple motors that where locked up and let them sit for a couple days and I could turn it over by hand with just the v belts with the plugs out of it. Don't know if it was mentioned but did you take the inspection cover off and look at the push rods for a bent one?

What DougAustinTx said about scarring the crank is a big concern. Get some rubber hose/fuel line that is the same inside diameter as the outside diameter of the rod bolts. The hose needs to be just big enough to easily push on over the rod bolts, but snug enough to stay in place on the bolts. Doing this will protect the crank from the threads on the rod bolts, both if you try turning the crank, and when moving the pistons up or down in the bore.

Don

Proceed with caution, be methodical, make sure you don't break something while investigating the problem, take and post pictures of anything you're unsure about... And not to scare you, but mess up those pistons, and you'll be S.O.O.L., they're NLA... You'll need custom made ones, or to scrap the motor.

I had the top of the engine off and nothing seemed to be bent so I guess it must be dry bearings.

Thanks for all help and I bow to all everyones superior knowledge.

I have decided I will tug the engine out and take it to be rebuilt, I am hopping that its not to bad as it was not running when it seized and it when it was running it was running long as was still cold.

I guess the good thing is as I have the engine out and if it will be ok I can have it painted up.

Here is a few pics of her so you know what you have been helping me with. I plan to keep the OZ desert look . she was very original when we found her and has only done 48000kms, even still has the sales guys business card in the dash
image.jpg
image.jpg

Very nice rig. Glad your getting it fixed. Let us know what you find frozen.

do not mix up the rod caps they have to go on the way they came off .just loosen them and try to spin the engine over sounds like it was out of oil and siezed up .take one thing at a time and dont guess because it looks ok .ive had this happen several times over the years and the outcome was never good .shawn is giving you good advice but you cant move to a new problem without eliminating other problems good luck

Hi

Yes rolls no problem when in neutral. I also set the timing about a week ago so no how to get the engine to turn over without starting it.

The 2 bearing caps that I took off, when I took them off you could move the pistons, so at least 2 of the pistons seem normal enough.

If that doesn't help could it be the bearings that hold the crank to the block (sorry no idea of there name)
Those would be the MAIN bearings.

I had the top of the engine off and nothing seemed to be bent so I guess it must be dry bearings.

Thanks for all help and I bow to all everyones superior knowledge.

I have decided I will tug the engine out and take it to be rebuilt, I am hopping that its not to bad as it was not running when it seized and it when it was running it was running long as was still cold.

I guess the good thing is as I have the engine out and if it will be ok I can have it painted up.

Here is a few pics of her so you know what you have been helping me with. I plan to keep the OZ desert look . she was very original when we found her and has only done 48000kms, even still has the sales guys business card in the dashView attachment 1040555 View attachment 1040554
Did you notice that the steering wheel is on the wrong side :)

i am going to send the engine to a shop now but i will have to order them the parts,,any idea what and from where I should order? its totally standard and the pan had never been off before

and should i put a new oil pump on while its in the shop?

i am going to send the engine to a shop now but i will have to order them the parts,,any idea what and from where I should order? its totally standard and the pan had never been off before

and should i put a new oil pump on while its in the shop?
Yes to the new pump and have the shop source the parts. That way the have no one to blame for poor work. They may just turn your old ones and use correct bearings. If its never been done and it just needs resurfaced it should not be a problem.

Hi

When you set the timing about a week ago, you probably didn't seat the distributor correctly, which means your oil pump was not engaged, which led to your seized engine. Seen it happen too many times over the years with F engines. Do you have a functioning oil pressure gauge on this truck, and was it registering oil pressure before it seized?

PLEASE do not paint it. That is absolutely beautiful as it sits. Perfect patina and stance. I am no help on F engine tech but know what pretty looks like! Good luck and GREAT find!

Hi Shawn the problem I have is nobody in the UK has ever seen FJ40s never mind have the rebuild parts so I was hopping to order a complete kit and then send the engine and the kit to the shop,do you think this is possible or will I just end up with the wrong parts?

Thanks Farman, we like the worn desert look to so will plan to keep it just as it is. We plan to buff up a bit then rub down with ACF50 just so she does not get eaten buy our Great British weather.

This can not be real.

I actually have a few cruisers and have one almost identical, i believe in OZ the pre 70s cruisers only came in two colours
image.jpg

Hi Shawn the problem I have is nobody in the UK has ever seen FJ40s never mind have the rebuild parts so I was hopping to order a complete kit and then send the engine and the kit to the shop,do you think this is possible or will I just end up with the wrong parts?

Thanks Farman, we like the worn desert look to so will plan to keep it just as it is. We plan to buff up a bit then rub down with ACF50 just so she does not get eaten buy our Great British weather.
I would keep looking for a reliable shop. The reason I say to let them do the hunting is because I am a mechanic and when a customer brings me his own parts I cannot take any responsibility for them. I sometimes end up charging them a lot more than it should have if they brought me the wrong parts and now their vehicle is stuck up on one of my racks taking up a bay etc... If I get it wrong then it is 100 percent on me. Some other UK members might be able to help you out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom