Please help seized (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there

please help. I have 1968 FJ40, drove it 3 miles perfect, parked,then could not restart. Basically the engine is somehow seized, I have the plugs out and the starter off. If i tow it in gear the wheels just drag???? anybody got any idea and what i should do next as I am a bit stumped.

hope nobody else has ever had this but hope somebody does know what to do?

Giles

Put it in neutral and try to turn over by hand. Should rotate if you put a little extra tension on v-belt and push or pull on fan blade.

hi there

yeh tried that and it would work so i put it in gear and try to pull her but the engine is locked tight. its really weird it was running perfectly before i turned her off. now she totally seized???

any other ideas what to try next?

Is there oil in the pan? Clean oil? Mine did that and I found I had blown the infamous oil galley plug minutes from home. Parked in my driveway and found it seized the next morning.
Next step is to pull the oil pan and see what you find. Mine looked great except #1 rod bearing looked a bit burnt. Popped the rod cap and found what used to be a bearing.

Make sure it's a neutral. If you can turn it over by hand then it should start. When it's in neutral do the tires turn free? If they do your going to have to pull the pan.

yeh it has clean. sorry not not sure what i am doing,, so i look for burn marks and then take the caps off?

hi

i have the pan off and i undid 2 nuts from the cap but it won`t come off,,how do you get it off to check if it is all alright.

could there ben another reason why its seized because it looks alright under there?

You have to make sure that the trany is in neutral and or the clutch is pushed in. If you can determine that the trany is not frozen (usually stuck between gears) then the next step is to pull all of your spark plugs. Try to turn it over then. If water or coolant comes out your hydro locked. If the motor still doesn't turn you can pull each cap by removing the bolts and use a brass punch to tap them loose.

Remember or mark the caps they have to go back exactly how they come off

hi

tops off the engine and all looks ok nothing bent. pan is off as well. I have had 2 caps off and the bearings look fine to me.

what do i do next???

i had the flywheel cover off as well and it all looked ok in there??

engine is still rock solid

Is the head off? Two caps are not gonna help. You have to look at all of them. You might get lucky and loosen them all and then turn your crank. That way you will know that your at least in the right direction. It can be anything from the cam to distributor etc. You just have to keep looking until you find it

thanks for the help. so if i take the rest of the caps off and they are all fine i should pull out the distributor and see if i can turn the engine again.

Also have you tried to turn the motor both directions or just clockwise

The distributor will be a long shot and I would think last. Also make certain that your starter is not still engaged

If you want help your going to have to answer questions when asked. If assume you did something and then find out that you didn't. I might send you in the wrong direction

hi there

yes took the plugs out, starter off, distributor off. engine won`t turn either way.

the two caps i took off, should the bearings come off the crank??? because they seemed stuck on?

The bearings should've had a bit of suction due to the oil film but you should be able to gently PPP off half of it. Look at the cap and see there's any indication of spinning. The surface should be fairly uniform

ok i will do that. ps thanks for all the help.

I should say this is a 1968 and she had not run for 20 years. we put fresh oil, water, plugs and fuel in her and she went straight away. we have had her going for about 2 week but never had her running for more than 30 mins, she sounded great and ran really well.

whats bothering me is when i took the pan off there was oil over everything but i would not say a lot?

also when i took the caps off the bearings underneath were bone dry, should they be?

Will the vehicle roll with the transmission and/or transfer case in neutral? That question hasn't been answered yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom