My FJ60 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

just stumbled across your three, VERY nice work and looking awesome

I would suggest blackening your wheel wells, for that new suspension, wheels & tires, brake upgrades and rock sliders I feel it would look awesome and set off the things that are new instead of taking away from the new gear, my 2 cents really

I am in between selling my 89' FJ62 for a 87' FJ60 and will be doing some of the work you have, but with winter defending quickly upon the Tahoe region there is very little I will be able to do before the snow comes and I am without a long term garage.

Do you have any recent updates to your rig TacDoc?i did get a set of Iron man lift but won't be installing it until after the holidays.:D

Do you have any recent updates to your rig TacDoc?

Yes I have a recent update, but is the boring part of the build: body work and paint.

I'll upload some pics soon.

Also got an early Christmas present: a gray dash cover. Will install it as soon as I finish the roof body work and before the windshield re-istallation.

These are the Holidays planned updates:

1. Roof body work and paint. Then I'll have a 100% rust free FJ60.
2. New inside rearview mirror (old one was beated by 25yrs of tropical sunlight).
3. New dash cover.
4. New chrome less windshield gasket.

After Holidays planned updates:

1. Gamiviti or the like (still undecided) roof rack.
2. Warn 10K winch.
3. Selective de-chrome...

Last edited:
This is a beautiful truck!
Makes me want to go out and work on mine (it's red also).

Show us how you're handling the roof rot please.
Mines pretty well rust free, except for a couple of sections in the same place yours was.

My P & B guy say's it's not big deal and that we can tackle it (yes, I get to help!:bounce:) easily.

I have my doubts?

Good work on the truck, I'm jealous. It will feel good to go place those targets. What kind of ranges will you be shooting them from? I'm a long range guy also, no competition just fun. What calibers you shooting?

Rust under the windshield seal.
IMG_1408.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

Grinded and treated
IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1414.jpg

IMG_1418.jpg

Fiber Glass Resin
IMG_1433.jpg

IMG_1432-1.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

Sanded
IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1442.jpg

Ready to mask and prime
IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1449.jpg

IMG_1452.jpg

Did you get in from the back side and make sure there was no more remaining rust there as well?

you'll need to treat the rust from the inside. It'll show up again next year as a bubbled up mess if you don't.

I'm not entirely sure how to remove the headliner.

Normally I do not like the color of red for a 60. But in your case, the bkack wheels and trim give it a different look. Also, I like the roof white on a red 60 :)

So after a lot of research here for the best antenna location, I found the unwanted truth: THERE IS NO PERFECT PLACE TO PLACE THE ANTENNA! So, along the lines of “two is one, and one is none” I just installed 2 antenna mounts and got 2 antennas: Comet SBB1 and SBB5. Each one for a different purpose…

For the usual road trips, I use the SBB5 in the front bumper. This location allows for worry-free in/out of the garage without the hassle of removing the antenna. On the down side, reception is not optimal on this spot.
IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Close up of the custom base I built using 1/8 stainless.
IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

For the best reception, I place the SBB5 in the Diamond K400 mount. In this location the antenna interferes with the roof rack when the hatch is open. It’s a major hassle in trips that you need to get things from the cargo area constantly. For this reason this spot wears a NMO Cover most of the time.

For heavy bush trails, I plan to use the SBB1 in the K400 mount.
IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

The Yaesu 7900 was installed in the center console and used the separation kit to install the face on the dash.
IMG_1730.jpg

A close up of the radio main body. Here it can be seen the plug for the rear antenna attached to the body with a bungee cord.
IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

More pics coming shortly…

Last edited:
Hey I'm in the process of building some rear panels like yours an I was wondering, it looks like your panel lids are a separate piece... Did you make them or buy them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom