My FJ60 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn't see it mentioned, but did you do a rattle can paint job or the real deal? I seriously need to do the same with my windscreen seal and gutter seals. It's pissing down rain here ATM so it won't happen for a few weeks at the earliest....

How is the road noise without carpet? It looks super clean.

I have not a past experience to compare with. The carpet was the very first thing I removed from the truck as soon as I got it. It was filthy and teared bad.

Anyway, the cruiser have no A/C, so windows ride down most of the time.

I didn't see it mentioned, but did you do a rattle can paint job or the real deal? I seriously need to do the same with my windscreen seal and gutter seals. It's pissing down rain here ATM so it won't happen for a few weeks at the earliest....

I went with the real deal. Used PPG Urethane 2K (no clear coat needed) Freeborn Red. Just painted the roof and rain gutters though. Every time I wheel the truck, new scratches and dents appear, so no more paint jobs for now.

Where did you get your ABS plastic from?

Its been a while since I posted the last updates.

So its time for a new update...

Several months ago I found this FJ62...
fj62.jpg

fj62thirds.jpg

... a few days after the discovery, look what followed me home...
IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg

After several filthy days, everything was disassembled and cleaned.

The 4:11 thirds were reshaped and new OEM pinion seals were installed.
IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2030.jpg

IMG_2029.jpg

Spartan Locker installed in the rear third.
IMG_2034.jpg

Thirds installed.
IMG_2158.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

New U-Joints.
IMG_2178.jpg

Knucle and rear axle rebuild (seals and bearings).
IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

Rock-Ring Knucle Felt Protectors. Really beefy protectors...
IMG_2170.jpg

Marlin Crawler Inner Seals.
IMG_2165.jpg

Last edited:
My alternator bearing had a strange sound lately, so I decided it was time for a new one.

Went with a Mean Green Alt.
IMG_2302.jpg

Also bypassed the link fuses with a new cable and 250amp mega fuse in a BlueSea fuse box.
IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2308.jpg

The day I was installing the MG Alt, my 3y/o kid managed to let it fall from a 6ft stair... :mad: The alt fan suffered the most.

So I went to my local alt shop and got this $5 metal type fan. I have not noticed this before, but this alternator turns REALLY HOT with use.

Is this normal for a 200amp alternator?

Should I have to use the plastic type fan?

I used the wagon for a day trip to the beach and the alt runs flawless. The OEM volt gauge marks somewhat over 14V even at idle.

One more thing about the MG Alternator: IT IS NOT A DROP IN! I needed a new belt 1" longer and the new battery cable is a MUST.

Also installed a new-to-me radiator fan shroud.

Last edited:
Assuming the alternator is functioning properly, the heat on it would be a reflection of power draw. Maybe double check the voltage regulator is installed correctly, but after the vehicle is warmed up and the batteries are topped up, it should actually make less heat than a lower amperage unit.

Otherwise you may have an excuse to throw some venting in the hood if your looking for something else to do.

we need to ride soon in PR...we have a Safari in Yauco this sunday..
i saw a Ham base ant...im KP4CHE most of the time in 145.470

we need to ride soon in PR...we have a Safari in Yauco this sunday..
i saw a Ham base ant...im KP4CHE most of the time in 145.470

Indeed!

WP4ONZ here, but Im a newbe at ham radio. I got my tech licence 2 months ago and have not taked at all... Just scan and listen.

I will assist to a 24hrs emergency communication drill in June 23th and probably to the Caguas ride the next day.

TacDoc that is one great looking rig, nice mods, great craftsmanship on the homebuilt\custom pieces. Got a question for you that I didn't see answered in the thread. Did you end up getting the headliner down to look at the rust from the underside of the roof\front windshield edge? If so, how does the headliner come down?

TacDoc that is one great looking rig, nice mods, great craftsmanship on the homebuilt\custom pieces. Got a question for you that I didn't see answered in the thread. Did you end up getting the headliner down to look at the rust from the underside of the roof\front windshield edge? If so, how does the headliner come down?

Its like a surgery. You have to CAREFULLY peel it apart without tearing. I removed just a small pocket enough to use a small brush and apply some rust treatment. Looked carefully using a white light and it did not look that bad. Just some superficial rust. Dirt just blowed away using compressed air. There is some kind of "crossmember" just where the outer body was rusted, so there is not much I could do from the inside.

If I ever have to repair rust again, I'll weld a patch and probably will have to look for a replacement as I doubt the headliner will resist removal without tearing it nor the weld job heat.

Glued it back using UHU cement.

Last edited:
Want to share pics from my last weekend trip to Corredor Ecologico del Noreste and La Selva Beach.

Northeast Ecological Corridor is a protected Natural Reserve in PR. La Selva is how locals call this beautiful beach. In the winter we have world class surf here and in the northwest part of the Island as well.

Enjoy!

This is the entrance Lat 18°21'19.99"N / Long 65°41'53.72"W (D@mn politics!)

IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

Plenty of vegetation... and a few more nicks and scratches to the truck's body and paint... more character to the 60!
IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

IMG_2321.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

Panoramic views
IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

IMG_2349.jpg

IMG_2353.jpg

Last edited:
There is a small playground at the top of a mountain
IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

IMG_2377.jpg

IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2371.jpg

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

He is the one having the most fun…
IMG_2370.jpg

IMG_2355.jpg

La Selva Beach
IMG_2331.jpg

There are some crawling routes (4Lo) but the official photographer (AKA the wife) wanted to go inside the truck. She did not want to miss the fun…

Next time I’ll have some more action pics.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you have got the greatest FJ60 on this entire sight. Well done on this excellent write up, and I cannot wait for more action shots!!

I'm sure I've said this before in this thread. But damn that thing is clean.

How do you like the 4.11's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom