Intro Xml325 38.5's with no lift 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, been lurking here for a while and actually tried posting an introduction before but couldnt get it load. Decided to try it again, I'm not sure what I did different this time!
1994 80 fully locked factory, all stock except radio and minus a few things. 184k miles on the clock and runs great.

The purpose-
overland type trail riding with room for gear. The capability to be a DD. Keep suspension and drivetrain stock for dependability.
The plan-
Ground clearance with 38.5 xmls. Tough tread and side wall to reduce risk of cuts and punctures. Stock suspension to maintain dependability and low center of gravity. Keeping stock gear sets, truck seems to do great on the hwy with the larger shoes.
LOW profile bumpers, slidèrs, atleast one winch and on board air.
I'm sure I will probably up the springs to handle the added wieght and I will only if I have to.
uploadfromtaptalk1454329668321.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900R7

Over landing build ... And 38.5's. :grinpimp:

Are the tires bolted up in that pic? They look to be but appear to have some spacers. One pic isn't gonna cut it for this crowd !

Keep it up and keep us posted.
That's some aggressive trimming Does the rear door maintain functionality? Weatherproofness?

Oh yeah they are bolted up and I've got a few miles on them.
Rear doors will retain function and will seal as well.
Keeping middle row and deleting 3rd.
More pics for sure but it is taking forever to load them!

Sent from my SM-G900R7

Stock drivetrain with that size tire is going to reduce your level of reliability, mainly in the birf department. You're also reducing the crawl ratio to next to nothing. You do have big tires on your truck though. That's the goal right?

If need be I will upgrade the shafts but with mild wheeling and no hesitation to winch if needed I should be ok. In past I've relentlessly hammered a stock dana 30 low pinion with 15" wide 35" swampers and never broke an axle climbing rocky hills at superlift orv park in Hotsprings AR.

Sent from my SM-G900R7

Welcome.

Yes, more pictures please of the fender cutting please.
I Luv it when people go outside the box building these 80s. So let's see how this all works out.
You will find that you will welcome a firmer spring rate once you start loading up with all your expo gear.
I'm a firm believer in the OME stock height springs. They are approx. 1" of lift.

How much did you cut out of fenders. Looks very agresive.

This is exactly what @Delancy describes as the perfect 80 trail rig (plus 30mm coil spacers). Non of the bad side-affects of lifted radius arm geometry, and low COG = win!

I'd put some 5.29's and a Marlin low-gear in though for sure.

Not sure what to think, but definitely out of the box thinking. You can make some nice inboard storage compartments when you box in the rear wheel wheels. This takes some cojones. Welcome. :flipoff2:

Do the fronts rub anywhere on the inside? I also second the 5.29's, or at least 4.88's

With that much wheel well, you should be all set for some 44's :worms:

My very humble recommendation, install a good aftermarket temp gauge for your tranny .. and keep those pics coming !

How much did those tires cost?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom