In-cab Harbor Freight Winch Controls (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

supercarrera

I Like LEDs
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Last year I installed a Harbor Freight 12k winch in my stock bumper. I really wanted in-cab winch controls using the OEM antenna switch but I searched and couldn’t find any information on wiring for this brand of winch. There are a couple Mud write ups for Warn winches using relays, but nothing for a HF. I knew using relays were in order to prevent damaging something if I accidentally hit both sides of the antenna switch.

DSC_5697-Edit.jpg

Since the HF winch controller only uses 3 wires and the Warn winches use 5, Slee’s relay board is not really applicable. I started from scratch and came up with my own wiring design using two SPDT relays. See the diagram below. Feel free to let me know if there was a better way to do this as I never consulted anyone and my electrical skills are limited. :)

winch diagram.jpg

As you can see, when you hit one of the antenna switches, the other one is deactivated.

Below is how the wiring looked when I was done. My setup lets you also use the external hand controller if you want. The relay on the left controls whether to use the external hand controller or the internal antenna switch. The two relays on the right are controlled by the antenna switch.

I drilled a hole in the side of the box and ran the wires to the relays out of it, sealing it with silicone. The red and blue wires go to the antenna switch while the green one goes to the heater switch.

IMG_20130618_182248-2.jpg

Here's how my switches are laid out. I used a rear heater switch to switch between the hand controller and the internal controls. Leaving the the heater switch in the off position, disables both the internal controls and the external hand controller.

DSC_5696-Edit.jpg

Obviously the next step is to properly label my switches. ;)

By the way, the usual disclaimer applies here. This is for informational purposes only and in no way do I take responsibility for any possible mishaps that may arise from following this. And in now way is this guaranteed to work or to be 100% correct. :cheers:

DSC_5697-Edit.jpg

DSC_5696-Edit.jpg

winch diagram.jpg

IMG_20130618_182248-2.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed. This just got added to my list of things to do. Thank you!

Awesome. You pretty much just laid out what I was going to start figuring on very soon.

My 2nd antenna switch is in the mail and I am going to be getting an HF winch. Furthermore, my rear heater is bypassed and you just gave me something to assign to the no longer used switch.

Where did get that fog light switch? Didn't know those existed for the >94 dash.

Aweome! I was just starting to look into this the other day. You just made this a lot easier. Thanks for sharing.

Where did get that fog light switch? Didn't know those existed for the >94 dash.

I got it at the stealership of all places. I forgot how I asked for it. I may have given them the part number that I got from one of the "fog light switch" threads here. I didn't come with a pigtail but I found one at the junkyard out of a 4 runner or something.

I think Slee sells them with the pigtail. At least he used to.

Scott

HF sells a wireless remote for this winch for about $25. Did you look into using it and decide it was not a workable solution?

HF sells a wireless remote for this winch for about $25. Did you look into using it and decide it was not a workable solution?

Yeah but I think in-cab controls using oem switches is cooler. :cool:

It also seemed like there were potential reliability issues with the remote such as the remote battery going bad, input delays, the possibility of being out of range, putting the remote in your center console and having something press the buttons, etc...

Last edited:
I have a 12k HF winch in my stock bumper now, still have to find the time to wire it up. Where did you hide the solenoid box? Also what relays did you use and where did you get them?

I already have the switches and pigtails just need to get the rest of the parts together and slip this in between projects, hopefully on a cool weekend and before I take my son on his first elk hunt!

I have a 100 series but I happened to see your thread while surfing through. Thanks for the info I will be doing something similar in my truck

As you can see, when you hit one of the antenna switches, the other one is deactivated.

Good job this is how mine is wired except my +12v is from my mirror switch so that my winch only works when the ignition is turned on.

HF warns you about the wireless remote to NEVER leave it hooked up - radio interference can cause ... unanticipated ... results.

Could actually be rather scary in a recovery situation. While I'm not quite tin-foiling this yet, it does give me pause to use mine.

This is great. I didnt realize the HF winch was 3wire. I was going to get the slee setup but i will go your route instead. I already have the relays in the tool chest!

Mine is just set up to disable the controls, not cut off power to the winch. I wasn't too worried about it because I basically leave my winch disconnected until I'm somewhere where I might need it.

Scott

Just found this; super cool!!

Has anyone improved on this interior switch solution? Labels??

(asking for a friend)

Curious how you wired in the heater switch as I didn't see that on your diagram?

Just found this; super cool!!

Has anyone improved on this interior switch solution? Labels??

(asking for a friend)

write-up starts here:
'93 80 vs. '97 LX post #25 in that thread has a pic of the extra switches

then followed a seat heater switch for setting winch control to in-cab or outside, read here: '93 80 vs. '97 LX post #37 in that thread also has pics, and a wiring diagram

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom