Builds I need to practice my diesel swap skills. So I will. (FJ-60 getting a 12HT) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We did a swap a few years ago and changed out the cluster, cannot remember what the issue was but the wiring was different and we ended up swapping gauges in like you did..

Of the few 12Ht swaps I did, we did see one truck have a problem with starting a few years later, he eventually ran with factory under hood solenoid.. We used the fj60 hot wire for starter... I have only seen this one truck have that issue.

Nice work..:beer:

Rob

blis said:
Well, thats a bummer... 24V would've been more cool...

¿Cool for whom? Ever tried to mate a 24v engine into a 12v truck? How about buying accessories for a 24v truck? What a pain; I'd never buy a 24v engine for a transplant due to all the ancillaries one must replace. 12v rocks!

This was an Aussie truck and they never received 24v except as JDM import. This rig even still had the Ryco oil filter :)

¿Cool for whom? Ever tried to mate a 24v engine into a 12v truck? How about buying accessories for a 24v truck? What a pain; I'd never buy a 24v engine for a transplant due to all the ancillaries one must replace. 12v rocks!

This was an Aussie truck and they never received 24v except as JDM import. This rig even still had the Ryco oil filter :)

Nope, never tried it and probaply never will... I'm just happy with my 24v hj61 :) makes life here in the cold north more pleasant...

Of the few 12Ht swaps I did, we did see one truck have a problem with starting a few years later, he eventually ran with factory under hood solenoid.. We used the fj60 hot wire for starter... I have only seen this one truck have that issue.

Way ahead of you. There's a solenoid, but the ignition switch is otherwise the same between the two. That means that the increased current (yes, the solenoid on the starter will draw more current too) of the diesel is going through the ignition switch, which it wasn't intended to do, so it will wear out faster. Therefor: I MUST use the factory solenoid.

Well, thats a bummer... 24V would've been more cool...

Actually, the best of both worlds would be a 24V starter on an otherwise 12V truck, with a series-parallel switch for starting. That's how large diesels often work, and it would work pretty slick for better cold weather starting, but no hassles with the accessories and such.

If even one of my 1HZs had a 24V starter that's undoubtedly the way I'd go.

....just to be different. ;)

Dan

Dan,

My HZ has the 24v starter... Unfortunately, it is going into the 24V BJ44 so I will need it. :)

On another, and more related note, how hard would it be to source or rewrap my 24V 12HT stuff to drop into a 12v '72 FJ40?

If even one of my 1HZs had a 24V starter that's undoubtedly the way I'd go.

....just to be different. ;)

Dan

All the 1HD-T's had 24v starters on 12v trucks, I'm sure you could make that work on your swap...:hmm:

On another, and more related note, how hard would it be to source or rewrap my 24V 12HT stuff to drop into a 12v '72 FJ40?

Not particularly difficult. You would need to source a 12V alternator (if I was going to be modifying one, I'd get busy looking at the NPR alternators, see if you could make one bolt up). But I know you can swap the motor itself on the starter to convert that to 12V, and then you just need 12V "other stuff." Off the top of my head on the 12HT it would be:
  • Oil Pressure Sender (same as FJ-40)
  • Glow Timer temp sensor (I'm assuming that's 12V or 24V specific)
  • Temperature Sensor
  • AC compressor (if you are putting AC on that 40)

Seems pretty doable to me....

All the 1HD-T's had 24v starters on 12v trucks, I'm sure you could make that work on your swap...:hmm:

Son of A!

You are right! So my uber cool idea is something that Toyota already did. I don't know if I should be pissed, or proud of myself for exactly the same solution.

But back to the progress...

We had a new oil line for the vacuum pump made because the old one was a little bit chafed from rubbing on the bolt nearby.
oil line.jpg

And here's the results of the cleaning of the engine. I suspect Dad may give it a quick coat of paint too, you know--while it's on the stand. ;)
clean engine 3.jpg

And with that, here's some pics of the wiring mess as promised. I'm going to see if I can do this without removing the WHOLE harness from the FJ-60, but I suspect it'll be easier to pull the right side of the harness back through the firewall to make the changes I need to.

In this case, I'm not only adding the stuff that the diesel needs, I'm also removing some useless stuff. See?
wiring 1.jpg

So, the basic process is this:
  • Open up the HJ-61 harness
  • Identify what is unique to the HJ-61
  • Tease the unique HJ-61 wiring out of the half-cut's harness.
  • Identify the useless gas stuff from the FJ-60 harness
  • Remove the useless wiring for things like the carb fan, evap canister, etc...
  • Fix any cuts, abrasions, or PO nonsense (this truck is really good in the PO department--but I have found two wire nuts--and wire nuts must be removed and burned in the fire)
  • Splice the unique HJ-61 wiring into the FJ-60 harness
  • Tape it all back up nice and clean like

Here's the mess of the HJ-61 harness. I'm in the process of removing the glow timer wiring.
wiring 2.jpg

And here's the removed FJ-60 harness. It's exposed, but not entirely removed.
wiring 3.jpg

Unfortunately, that's it for a while for me. I've got to work a lot over the next few weeks, so it'll be almost two weeks before I get back to it. Of course, parts arrived this afternoon--that are needed to mate the engine and transmission, and then get that back into the truck. I'm willing to bet Dad is going to get the two mated and installed on the truck before I get there (which is good--it's ready for that).

Question: What kind of amperage does an HJ-61 draw for the glow screen? And best if I can find out for both glow relays. The HJ-61 had some pretty awful fusible link replacement jerry-rig stuff in that department, and I'm thinking of replacing the fusible links with high quality circuit breakers--but need to know how big I would need--and I don't want to go too big either.

Dan

clean engine 3.jpg

oil line.jpg

wiring 1.jpg

wiring 2.jpg

wiring 3.jpg

Here ya go...I haven't looked at the fsm but according to this thread it's. around 100 amps.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/24480-13bt-glowscreen.html
Seems pretty high to me.
Judging by the rest of your work you will be hooking up everything to make the glow system work like factory. Are you going to add the manual override in the thread above?

I'm in the process of wiring in a manual switch in my truck. The factory system isn't coming on when its around freezing. It starts sooo much better when I let it glow for 5-10 seconds.

Here ya go...I haven't looked at the fsm but according to this thread it's. around 100 amps.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/24480-13bt-glowscreen.html
Seems pretty high to me.
Judging by the rest of your work you will be hooking up everything to make the glow system work like factory. Are you going to add the manual override in the thread above?

I'm in the process of wiring in a manual switch in my truck. The factory system isn't coming on when its around freezing. It starts sooo much better when I let it glow for 5-10 seconds.

How on earth did I miss that one???

Consider the switch done! Very simple and elegant. Especially since I've got the wiring opened up, and will have the glow controller right by the driver's seat.... so I won't have to run wires all over the place.... And I'd been debating what on earth I would use to block the hole where the choke cable had been....

Best part is, that by opening the circuit through the water temp sensor, you could leave the switch on (open), start the truck, and not damage the screen anyway--since the glow timer would simply be glowing as if the temp were very very cold--and would thus shut off the glow screen in accordance with the glow timer logic.

Love that solution!

Dan

Man, I'd love to be visiting Casa Senor Silbaugh for some of this action.

You know we'd love to have you there.

...since it's going to take a couple more weeks for me to get back to it, I'm hatching a plot to finish the whole project now, instead of doing the engine swap, and then doing the finishing touch later (that's the FF rear axle, if you're curious).

But Dad might like help cleaning and rebuilding the FF rear axle...

Looking great Dan.

Thank you sir!

BTW--my solution for the "Cold Start" switch has been ordered. Simple. Elegant. Classy. Functional.

I'm psyched.

Dan

I don't like telling people what to do but I figured since you had all the wiring apart now would be the time to do it. I'm still trying to figure out where I want to mount my switch and where to run the wiring without having to tear to much stuff apart.

I currently just have the pigtail unplugged from the temp sensor now that its cold as a temporary fix until I wire the switch in. Just using the key switch as my momentary switch for the time being.

I was just passing thru Idaho Springs a couple weeks ago in my 61. Had I seen this thread I should have stopped in to compare trucks.

But the bj42 is in Idaho Springs. Besides, Dan would never miss a chance to talk diesel.

Doh...should have realized that.

Nah.

I'm a complicated dude. ;)

You'd have to hang out with me to have even a chance of understanding my schedules and whereabouts.

Dan

You sound just like me...I never no which way I'm going...and it usually changes at the last minute. I stopped making plans along time ago b/c nothing every seems to go according to them.

I live in my own world now...they know me well there :)

Aha! I found you!

Good to see you're up to no good Dan, seems you've been quiet recently and haven't seen you for a while.

Project is looking great! I have no input but will be watching with extreme interest!

Can I ask about details on the 1/2 cut? Did you get it through SOR? About how much did it run you?

¿Cool for whom? Ever tried to mate a 24v engine into a 12v truck? How about buying accessories for a 24v truck? What a pain; I'd never buy a 24v engine for a transplant due to all the ancillaries one must replace. 24v rocks!

Fixed it for ya...:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom