Builds I need to practice my diesel swap skills. So I will. (FJ-60 getting a 12HT) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks Dan

That's makes sense, I've given it a bit of stick, but haven't seen the red light come on

If you don't make use of that rhd 12ht throttle cable I will take it off your hands. I just bought a rhd 61 and the throttle cable is very finicky. I can't get it to adjust right. The routing seems silly also...the cables seems to be way to long.

I was just out west with the new 61. I should have stopped buy and checked out your stable. Bought it in Calgary then dropped south thru Montana to my parents cabin in Idaho near Yellowstone. Fished around there for a week and headed south to moab. Then onto colorado where I spent a week visiting friends, drinking good beer and watching it snow. Unfortunately I'm back east now.

I also have a fj62/ 2h h55 swap in the works right now. Was planning on keeping it till I found the 61. Now I just need to sell it once the swap is complete. You are a bit ahead of me on your swap and you luckily don't have to swap over all the manual trans stuff.

Anyway will be watching your progress with interest wishing my swap would goes as fast yours.

DanS HJ-45 said:
Green light comes on at 2.0 psi of boost. Basically tells you that you are making some boost.

Red light comes on at 15.5 psi of boost. If you get that light, you should back off with the throttle.

At least, the FSM quoted above says those are the numbers where those lights come on.

Dan

And that, for those not fortunate enough to know Dan personally, is why he simply cannot leave the red and green lights unhooked.

Nice work amigo. Hope to get down to lend a hand this weekend.

And that, for those not fortunate enough to know Dan personally, is why he simply cannot leave the red and green lights unhooked.

Nice work amigo. Hope to get down to lend a hand this weekend.

Very true. :grinpimp:

Not this weekend, I will be back on the 15th I believe.

Dan

DanS HJ-45 said:
Very true. :grinpimp:

Not this weekend, I will be back on the 15th I believe.

Dan

Ok, let's see what day around then I can get away. Would be great to catch up. I get to see your mom and dad way more than I get to see you...not that I'm complaining.

I'm back at it.

Dad has been busy cleaning up the 12HT! It looks great!

clean engine 1.jpg
clean engine 2.jpg

I did a bit of cleanup of the engine bay. You'll notice that I powder coated the left and right side mud shields. We used Pewter from Shane (that's really more for the 40s) but it looks good in there we think.

clean bay 1.jpg

I had to modify the FJ-60 left side mud shield a bit to allow it to clear the motor mount and the diff breather. Five minutes setting up the plasma cutter, and 30 seconds to trim it and it. Then, naturally, I powder coated it. ;)

clean bay 2.jpg

Last of this post is the 12HT flywheel from Georg.

flywheel.jpg

clean engine 1.jpg

clean bay 2.jpg

clean bay 1.jpg

clean engine 2.jpg

flywheel.jpg

We pulled the oil pan off, just to get a good look inside the engine, and to reseal it tomorrow.
pan 1.jpg
pan 2.jpg

It's drying tonight. Tomorrow it'll get put back on with FIPG, and a shiny coat of black paint!
pan 3.jpg

We also powder coated a few odds and ends. I am absolutely amazed at how much pitting the average battery tray has in it. Takes forever to wheel that rubber off so that we can get on with the powder coating!

pc parts.jpg

pan 1.jpg

pan 2.jpg

pan 3.jpg

pc parts.jpg

I also kicked around the shop on some wiring jobs...

I started with the aftermarket gauges. I ran the wires for all 3 of the ISSPro gauges.
gauges 3.jpg
gauges 4.jpg

I mostly had to test that my wiring pigtail would be long enough to allow us to install and remove those three gauges sometime in the future.

That's it for today. I should have more tomorrow...

Dan

gauges 3.jpg

gauges 4.jpg

DanS HJ-45 said:
I'm back at it.

Dad has been busy cleaning up the 12HT! It looks great!

I did a bit of cleanup of the engine bay. You'll notice that I powder coated the left and right side mud shields. We used Pewter from Shane (that's really more for the 40s) but it looks good in there we think.

I had to modify the FJ-60 left side mud shield a bit to allow it to clear the motor mount and the diff breather. Five minutes setting up the plasma cutter, and 30 seconds to trim it and it. Then, naturally, I powder coated it. ;)

Last of this post is the 12HT flywheel from Georg.

Glad to see dad's surgical cleaning skills carry over so well from his medical practice :)

OK, back at it. Not a lot of real photogenic stuff today.

I'm diving into wiring, mostly.

Yesterday we put the cleaned and repainted oil pan back onto the engine. This job is so incredibly easy with the engine upside down!
oil pan.jpg

I mounted a sedimenter onto the firewall, so that the fuel filter warning light would have something to turn it on....
sedimenter.jpg

The boost lights in the tachometer are activated by two pressure switches on the right fender well. I fabricated a bracket to hold the ISSPro boost gauge sender near them, and then used a spare Toyota hose T to plumb in the boost gauge sender. Clean, simple, and avoids having to drill and tap the intake for the sender.
boost.jpg

Here's a pic of the right fender with almost everything installed (no washer reservoirs yet, and no glow screen relays yet). It's busy over there, but it's not all that bad, so there is room to add things like a sedimenter and whatnot.
eng bay 4.jpg

One quick question for tomorrow: what kind of amperage does a 12HT glow screen draw?

Last pic of the day: goodbye to the 2F! We loaded it up and hauled it to Senior Chamba's place. Now you get to practice your surgical cleaning skills brother! ;)
goodbye 2f.jpg

Dan

boost.jpg

sedimenter.jpg

eng bay 4.jpg

oil pan.jpg

goodbye 2f.jpg

Hey Theo,

The 2f is now sitting in my warm garage awaiting a refresh and warm up (shaved head .040", port, polish, new cam, new oil pump, new water pump, Jim C carb rebuild/tune, emissions delete using my non US brackets, manifolds and air cleaner, etc) I'm pretty excited. I tried to load the 12ht into the truck but Dan noticed. :-( the 2f will go into Lexie when done. I wanted to do a 2fe, but I've accepted that I won't have the time.

It was nice to get to help a wee bit Dan....we need more wrenching time! Great and impressive work as always.

Last edited:
There's an engine under all that emissions rubbish, I'm certain.

ForumRunner_20131118_094229.jpg

Getting ready to buy a set of isspro gauges for my new to me 61. Mind if I ask where you got them from and which model you went with?

Getting ready to buy a set of isspro gauges for my new to me 61. Mind if I ask where you got them from and which model you went with?

Absolutely. LOVE THEM, so far. Not that the truck is running yet, but I am really, really impressed with the quality of them, very well thought out. I will definitely buy more, and not buy the Autometer again if I have the choice. ;)

I bought them from http://www.issprogauges.com, and I bought the EV2 gauges.

ISS-R17021 EV2 0-1600 °F Pyrometer Gauge - R17021
1 $197.40 $197.40
ISS-R17133 EV2 0-30 PSI Boost Gauge - R17133
1 $162.95 $162.95
ISS-R17588 EV2 100-280 °F Coolant Temperature Gauge - R17588
1 $119.11 $119.11

A little pricier than other brands, but as nice as these are--worth it IMHO.

So, today I made a trip into town to pick up some odds and ends (like a new oil line for the vacuum pump, fuel and oil filters, etc...).

Then I opened up the HJ-61 wiring harness, to pull out what we need.

The next job was to rectify a problem that I had, that I hadn't yet figured out how to deal with it...

Can you spot the problem here?
cluster 1.jpg

That's right, there's no brake warning light in the combination meter! The horror! Since I'm using the HJ-61 cluster housing, for the glow plug light and the air filter warning light are new, but the choke, brake, and seat belt warning lights are removed. Choke? Don't need that--diesel. Seat belt? Don't need that--stupid.

But the Brake warning light? The diesel turns on the warning light if the vacuum reservoir is low. That's new, and cool. So, because I am who I am--I must make it work. That's when I realized that the HJ-61 combination meter included a brake warning light (instead of just charge and hi-beams). But, the HJ-61 oil pressure gauge was broken. So, for me to get busy swapping out the gauges themselves...
cluster 2.jpg

To do this, you remove the combination gauge from the gauge cluster, then remove the front three screws to remove the clear plastic cover and the gasket that seals it to the gauge. Then, you remove the center cover (the circular metal disc that has the icons for TEMP, FUEL, OIL and VOLTS. Once that is done, you remove the gauges themselves by removing the nuts from the studs on the back (or the screws for the volt meter), and simply push the gauge out towards the front and then replace it with a good one. It's a :banana: job, at most.

Here's one gauge swapped...
cluster 4.jpg

And now all 4 gauges swapped...
cluster 5.jpg

With that done, there's another problem: the RHD and LHD combination meters are on the opposite sides of the gauge cluster. Basically, they are on the outside of the cluster. This means that the RHD combination meter doesn't sit flush on the three screw holes, one of the feet hits the turn signal indicator...
cluster 3.jpg

cluster 1.jpg

cluster 2.jpg

cluster 4.jpg

cluster 5.jpg

cluster 3.jpg

...But that's an easy fix.

Take one saw blade, and cut off the offending leg--this lets it sit flush on two of the three mounting screws. But, 2 screws isn't enough, I assume, because Toyota used 3.

So, you cut off one of the feet from the surplus gauge pod...
cluster 6.jpg

And it attaches onto pads that are molded into the correct gauge pod! Just glue it together, and you've got it mounted securely, easily.
cluster 7.jpg

Voila! Here's the completed gauge cluster!
cluster 8.jpg

But.... that leads us back to wiring. Here's the pin diagram I made of the cluster.
cluster 9.jpg

Note: the check marks are the pins that are the same between the FJ-60 and the HJ-61.Basically, I'll have to repin three pins on this plug, but that's it. We're talking 10 minutes of work, if that.

OK, that's the pictures for today. More tomorrow, likely of a mess of a wiring harness--because I know you are dying to know what that looks like.

Dan

cluster 6.jpg

cluster 7.jpg

cluster 8.jpg

cluster 9.jpg

.......that's the pictures for today. More tomorrow, likely of a mess of a wiring harness--because I know you are dying to know what that looks like.

Dan

I don't care what you choose to do next Dan...

It's ALL interesting...

:popcorn:

I couldnt help but notice, the 12ht is going to be 12v? :O

yeah the 12v sure makes the swap easy.
thanks for the info Dan. I was leaning towards the ev2 myself. waiting on an insurance check from the knucklehead shipper who hauled my 61 back east. He left the ignition on killing the batteries. Then he tried jump starting the 24v system on the high side frying the batteries and alternator. Talk about pissed...I just put over 5000km on the truck out west with out anything at all go wrong and then this fool does this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom