How to connect a trailer brake controller to a (late?) 100 series TLC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an aftermarket 7 pin connector on my 2000 that hangs down alongside the receiver and keeps getting smashed up. Anybody installed it facing down underneath next to the spare?
Wondering if the trailer male end would fall out?

These instructions worked great on my '06, installed the harness with only the duct removal. Here's a pic pulling an Airstream Bambi :)

image.jpg

I have an aftermarket 7 pin connector on my 2000 that hangs down alongside the receiver and keeps getting smashed up. Anybody installed it facing down underneath next to the spare?
Wondering if the trailer male end would fall out?
The 7-pin socket uses its cover to latch the plug in place.

Steve

This was stupid easy. I was psyched out by people talking about this. Using the OP's directions I looked just above the black piping, squished it a little (no risk of it breaking) and there was the plug. I snapped in the Tundra pigtail and I was done 2 minutes later. Literally.

I've had the parts and have been waiting for 2 weeks to do this because I thought it'd take hours but it was super easy when you look in the right place. Thanks for all of the info that ultimately saved me a ton of time!

Does anyone have a pic of the white plug I'm looking for? I don't see an empty plug up there, not sure if the PO already had a brake controller in and the pigtail has been used and bundled up somewhere. Thanks!

Does anyone have a pic of the white plug I'm looking for? I don't see an empty plug up there, not sure if the PO already had a brake controller in and the pigtail has been used and bundled up somewhere. Thanks!

There's a photo of the plug and location a few posts down in this thread.

Trailer Brake Module Questions

An even better one here:

Brake Controller connector for 2006 LC

And note that you don't have to take the dash apart; it's accessible but way up there!

AWESOME! Found it, thank you!

Just installed the controller on my 06. This worked perfectly.

LOL, that thread is like 13 years old now...

"The more things change, the more they are the same..." :D

Adding my 2 cents here. Just installed a Tekonsha (Prodigy) Primus IQ to my '03 and it was a breeze. Finding the factory connector was really easy after removing the lower dash panel and knee brace. That takes about five minutes and you don't have to get down on your back and feel around in the dark. Removing those two items, plus the dash cap, made it super easy to snake the wires to the ashtray cubby which is where I installed the controller. Best part of the deal was going out to Stevinson Toyota where I had ordered the Tundra connector from - $42 retail - $30 my discount price. When I told Derek, my parts guy there, what I was doing, he said "You don't want the OEM connector, you want this Tekonsha connector instead" which he had hanging on a rack right there. He was right, of course, as it was $12 retail and $9, plus tax, and it fit perfectly, connecting to the plug behind the dash and the back of the controller. Tekonsha part # is 3040-P and it was made specifically for the Toyota connector with plenty of lead length. Attached the ground wire from the harness to the upper left knee brace bracket. Everything works perfectly. Yup, Bob's your uncle and thanks Mud for making this a less than one banana job that took less than an hour.

Old thread but new to me. Was daunted by write ups as well / moved lower vent tube out of drivers side - slid it down and there was plug. Easy.

4CCF83EE-3AF4-45D1-AC8E-FD55EC94A6E9.jpeg

I wasn't seeing the ventilation conduit as described but there is a hard piece of square plastic that appeared to be related to the ventilation. I started to feel above it (there was literally no visibility) and felt a connector that seemed to be the right size. I forced myself a little further in and saw about 30% of a white connector that had the same plug pattern. I tried the clip and it worked. Not sure the images are of much benefit but it gives you an idea of where it's located: ~1 foot off the floor, resting on top of the black square vent, facing the front of the car in between the brake and gas pedal. I used part OEM #: 82132-0C010 from Toyota ($75 from Toyota YIKES). Good luck.

IMG_5241.JPG

IMG_7583.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

Last edited:
Unloaded weight of an M416 is 1170lb. Check tongue weight-m416 . With that much weight unloaded, if the trailer were mine electric brakes would be a given.

That is max loaded weight. The total curb trailer weight is just a bit over 600 lbs.

Anyone have ideas on where the ground wire could go?

x2, reviving this thread. This thing is crazy tough to grab with my big hands, I couldn't see it but put my camera up there. I think it's this white plug at the bottom of the pic?

thumbnail_20200619_151219.jpg

Last edited:
Lol, this plug had tested my sanity for the last two days. Thank god I found this thread I HAVE NOT LOST MY FREAKING MIND

In the market for a 2003-ish LC, and have been reading a lot about this install and the other issues. What's the DIY fix for the trailer battery feedback thing? Can I just use a wireless-style brake controller? Electrical/automotive literate person here but new to trailering. I can probably do whatever needs to be done.

Will be using 03 LC to tow musclecars on (probably) an aluminum trailer which should be within the capabilities of the truck.

Thanks!

I put in a little relay in the back panel (DS IIRC) of the 03 to cut off the feedback. It is activated by a key-controlled wire I found someplace in there. It's been a long time but from memory I think the feedback was happening when the key was half-on and playing havoc with the dash. Easy to do if you're familiar with basic 12V stuff. I may have put up a post on that here someplace, not sure.

added: On an unrelated note, I would be really careful about towing a big trailer and heavier car with a 100. I'm thinking 5000lbs is likely pushing it. I'm sure some people here have done it, but I'd look carefully at the numbers and at how much liability you're willing to take on.

I put in a little relay in the back panel (DS IIRC) of the 03 to cut off the feedback. It is activated by a key-controlled wire I found someplace in there. It's been a long time but from memory I think the feedback was happening when the key was half-on and playing havoc with the dash. Easy to do if you're familiar with basic 12V stuff.

Sounds like it can be any automotive relay just spliced into the correct wire, not anything special from Toyota? What amp rating should it be?

I'm confident I can find the right 12v feed, a key-on from the 12v rear outlet (like I've heard on here) and any ground wire/location... ok cool. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom