How to connect a trailer brake controller to a (late?) 100 series TLC (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

don't remember the rating but I think I used some generic little (like 1in across) $5 4 blades black box guy from a generic car parts store, maybe even Radio Shack. Has worked fine ever since.

added: On an unrelated note, I would be really careful about towing a big trailer and heavier car with a 100. I'm thinking 5000lbs is likely pushing it. I'm sure some people here have done it, but I'd look carefully at the numbers and at how much liability you're willing to take on.

Could you elaborate a little? I do want to be as safe as possible especially considering that I'm new to towing.

Am I really looking for a 200-series at this level? ~3900lb car + alum trailer at ~1600lbs is my best case scenario...

not the best place to discuss that and I may be overly careful and wrong about this anyway. Plenty of threads discussing towing capabilities. Or start a new one for your specific situation. I don't know anything about the 200, really, but would not expect the tow rating to be dramatically different. Look up the specs or ask in the 200 forum.

not the best place to discuss that and I may be overly careful and wrong about this anyway. Plenty of threads discussing towing capabilities. Or start a new one for your specific situation. I don't know anything about the 200, really, but would not expect the tow rating to be dramatically different. Look up the specs or ask in the 200 forum.

Fair enough. I did look into this beforehard: 100-series 6500lbs; 200-series 8500lbs; LX570 7000lbs. I'll search a bit more. Thanks!

I used this thread as a guide to install a Redarc Tow-Pro V3 into my 2006 LX. I also used a Tekonsha 3040 wiring harness that I cut and spliced into the Redarc provided one. There is a Redarc harness that is specific to Toyota but it was not available at time of purchase. Part number TPH-021.
I decided to remove the knee panel to run and secure the wires as best as possible. It did not take more than 5 minutes to remove the panels.

Parts included:
F13A8A61-80AB-4986-846B-FD361D7D1C5F.jpeg

If your truck has the tow package, you will find the connector here.

AB44ACBF-8CA9-45D7-8172-B108145912A5.jpeg

I drilled a 1" hole into the locker blank plate and installed the provided switch mount.
8DB0724D-1C6A-41DD-992E-6CD58E074099.jpeg

You can see the controller box mounted just above the dead pedal. I used the heavy duty Command strips. If they fail I will find a better solution. This location gives me easy access if I need to remove it. The wires were cleaned up with small zip ties after this photo was taken.
558E3AF8-0F4A-4252-BC53-9AB7C01B78A0.jpeg

Final product. Very clean installation and does not take up a lot of dash space.
C613A617-21AC-44D6-81D3-CE2AD6AE365F.jpeg

So I know this is a 20 year old thread... but it helped me hook up my brake controller today so thank you.

added: later posts suggest that it is possible to just squeeze the black tube and then access the plug, without the need to remove the tube. YMMV.

But then you can't paint the "knee brace" metal.

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 7.05.39 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom