FJ40 Original Bumper Color (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just used cruiser Corp pewter for my touch ups. It doesn’t look bad. I ended up getting a new front bumper from Toyota. So I have some OEM reference. I’ll take some pictures soon.

FYI PPG is selling the color: Ash Grey Metallic Toyota 145

This is what I usually use in their Omni MTK acrylic urethane line. It’s a bit “grayer” than the OEM bunperettes and bumper I recently picked up, but their doesn’t seem to have been complete consistency with the OEM pewter color over the years.

Does anyone know if the carriage bolts were painted the same pewter as the bumper or if they were zinc plated and just look similar? I've looked at a few photos of supposed original 40s and it's difficult to tell.

@WarDamnEagle

The parts fiche indicate the only OEM carriage bolts available now (91112-10016) ($5.32 list) are chrome plated, which were originally intended to go with the chrome front bumper (52111-60060) which remains available at $432 list price.

If you were to go OEM chrome, you wouldn't have to worry about paint color! ;)

@WarDamnEagle

The parts fiche indicate the only OEM carriage bolts available now (91112-10016) ($5.32 list) are chrome plated, which were originally intended to go with the chrome front bumper (52111-60060) which remains available at $432 list price.

If you were to go OEM chrome, you wouldn't have to worry about paint color! ;)

I'm showing 90112-10016 available but I'm looking at a '77 FJ55 diagram. I'm also not checking availability on Toyota so they may not actually be available.

I think I'll stick to pewter on the pig; I have enough chrome going and coming on my FZJ75. :D

FZJ75 front.jpg

FZJ75 rear.jpg

I'm showing 90112-10016 available but I'm looking at a '77 FJ55 diagram. I'm also not checking availability on Toyota so they may not actually be available.

I think I'll stick to pewter on the pig; I have enough chrome going and coming on my FZJ75. :D

View attachment 2253163

View attachment 2253164
Oops, missed the Riyadh location in your avatar.

The carriage bolt number looks good in the U.S., I check on an online Toyota dealer site which keeps availability up-to-date.

Parts availability in your neck of the woods seems to be much more plentiful than here in the USA where Toyotoa expects you will buy new instead of fixing up old.

Oops, missed the Riyadh location in your avatar.

The carriage bolt number looks good in the U.S., I check on an online Toyota dealer site which keeps availability up-to-date.

Parts availability in your neck of the woods seems to be much more plentiful than here in the USA where Toyotoa expects you will buy new instead of fixing up old.

Currently in the US so good to know that replacements for the front are still available. Unfortunately the rear bumper bolts are M12 x 1.25 and they are NLA as far as I can tell. I was looking at alternatives for the rear when I asked the question. I'll probably just try to find zinc plated and will likely have to substitute M12 x 1.75; not a huge deal.

Thanks!

Edit: clarification

Last edited:
I had several samples but they were all just slightly off. I compared a few other parts too. The rear view mirror, glovebox, etc. I can see why metallic silver is one of the hardest finishes to match.

I had several samples but they were all just slightly off. I compared a few other parts too. The rear view mirror, glovebox, etc. I can see why metallic silver is one of the hardest finishes to match.
I don't care if it is perfect. I don't have much perfect silver on my truck anyways. What is the closest one you found?

I believe samples were free minus shipping. Might be worth it to order some of the close matches. You’d be surprised how much of a difference there is when sitting side by side with the part.

I believe samples were free minus shipping. Might be worth it to order some of the close matches. You’d be surprised how much of a difference there is when sitting side by side with the part.
I tried to order swatches with my first powder order to save on shipping. The swatches ship from somewhere else and there is an additional shipping charge for them, go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom