AT WITS END (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here is a basic DMM tutorial. While I don't agree with all of the statements made regarding features to look for, this is enough to get you on the right track. Personally I buy Fluke products, but my needs are different than yours.

Go get yourself a decent meter, learn how to use it, then take the troubleshooting from the top.

Going forward from this point, please remember that it is not a crime to ask questions and admit when you don't know something. People will respect you for your honesty, and if they don't, they're schmucks themselves.

Last edited:
There are inherent problems diagnostic static circuit using a meter either set on ohms or volts.

What this thread nipping at the heals of loaded voltage drop testing.

I'm sorry, but I can't stand to watch people throw money at part after part after part just because they "think" that's what it COULD be.

Follow a troubleshooting checklist in an orderly fashion, making sure that all "i's" are dotted and "t's" are crossed.

You said "Toyota will charge thousands". By the time you're done doing it your way, YOU will spend thousands....

Need to find the problem with good diagnostics.

Problems is with "most" shops there's not enough time allowed for correct diagnostics and you end up in a part swapping endless loop.

Great advise on this thread ...

ok..........first of all......jonheld...your wrong....some (actually most) of the wires inside the dash have silver spots on them......maybe you should go check instead of trying to make other people look like they dont know anything..........second of all mtbcoach i know what continuity is its not hard to figure out if a wire can carry current......and my meter does not have an adjustment on it....it is an auto meter..(do you know what that is?)..my meter tells me when there is continuity with a tone or reading if i want it to..and if i bought new parts for the problem and checked the 7 wires for continuity its not a fact that i did that?...quit bein a jerk..and yes jonheld my meter can read if i touch it to my skin....so in your own words it is sensitive enough..this meter was quite expensive.....i just came on here to see if someone knew of something to try that i have not tried yet........and code 14 in the FSM reads to check when "idling" does not make sense but thats what it says....
too all the folks who came on here and actually tried to help i do thank you very much.......
I WILL ALSO SEND SOMEONE AN ECU (for a 91,92 FJ) IF THEY CAN HELP FIGURE OUT THIS PROBLEM.....FREE....
i have an extra one. come to think of it..i also have an extra dizzy and two igniters.......lol...i will send ALL of it....

now, if anyone has a 91 or 92 cruiser, i would like to know what the black 4 pin connector is for in the drivers side kick panel.....two of the four wires (G..W-G) are coming from the dash light dimmer rheostat....it has ...R-W....W-G....G...LR....the R-W has 12v all the time.....i would like to know what it is.......extremely hard to find it in the FSM........might be headlight dimmer option? i dont know.....
i am trying to rule out what i could of done when i touched the speaker wire to it.....oh and just an FYI....remove the foot rest before you remove the kick panel..one screw..

@dani cee There are very good people contributing excellent advice to you in this thread. Jon Held chief among them.
He is not wrong, while there ARE dots on these wires, they have zero to do with the identity of the wire. So when you talk about dots, you are deminishing your credibility regarding all the things you represented as fact.
We know you are new to this and those providing advice have been very patient with you to guide you through this. So to get all aggro and lash out at those that are trying to help is not wise.
Jon is from NY so he is straight forward and comes off gruff most of the time, but he is taking his time to type out detailed instruction in order to HELP YOU! You need to take that into consideration before you flame spray on a help thread YOU created.
I hope you get this figured out, but I think your odds just went down as a result of your tantrum.

Toyota wires are always marked with stripes, not dots. There is also a standard color code for speakers in the aftermarket. http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.co...-installation/wiring-harness-color-standards/
View attachment 1062993
this is an after market wiring picture......i have stock
@dani cee There are very good people contributing excellent advice to you in this thread. Jon Held chief among them.
He is not wrong, while there ARE dots on these wires, they have zero to do with the identity of the wire. So when you talk about dots, you are deminishing your credibility regarding all the things you represented as fact.
We know you are new to this and those providing advice have been very patient with you to guide you through this. So to get all aggro and lash out at those that are trying to help is not wise.
Jon is from NY so he is straight forward and comes off gruff most of the time, but he is taking his time to type out detailed instruction in order to HELP YOU! You need to take that into consideration before you flame spray on a help thread YOU created.
I hope you get this figured out, but I think your odds just went down as a result of your tantrum.
and your also wrong......you are saying there are black wires with no dots and black wires with dots that are the same? thats totally wrong......there are black wires with silver dots going to the wiper motor and there are solid black wires going to totally different things as with every other color wires...some solid, some with dots, some with stripes all doing totally different things but the same color....
i know there are pinks wires..one silver dot going to left side of speaker, two silver dots going to right side of speaker and solid pink wire going to thermostat sensor on ECU....three pink wires doing three different things.
i also think most people on here have been extremely helpful

What the fxxx is wrong with you? Are you, 12 fxxxing years old?

I don't need to make you look stupid. You're doing a fantastic job all by yourself.
Good luck with your truck. I'm done.

this is an after market wiring picture......i have stock

and your also wrong......you are saying there are black wires with no dots and black wires with dots that are the same? thats totally wrong......there are black wires with silver dots going to the wiper motor and there are solid black wires going to totally different things as with every other color wires...some solid, some with dots, some with stripes all doing totally different things but the same color....
i know there are pinks wires..one silver dot going to left side of speaker, two silver dots going to right side of speaker and solid pink wire going to thermostat sensor on ECU....three pink wires doing three different things.
i also think most people on here have been extremely helpful
Often there are these silver dots near the terminals of these wires. They are useless for tracing these wires.

The pics of the wires and connector are on his other thread
that shouldn't have much to do with no spark unless it's part of the old alarm that he removed. The circuit opening relay is in that area and possibly Jimmie a wire.
the thread was " no CEL on start "- I couldn't quote the thread or pic

Last edited:
Just wanted to post this before all the **** hit the fan....

Screenshot_2015-04-18-21-45-26.png

ok..........first of all......jonheld...your wrong....

uh uh :popcorn:

I mean, whatever maybe wrong with jonheld . . . but it's certainly not his knowledge of early 80 series cruisers :cheers:

The pics of the wires and connector are on his other thread

that shouldn't have much to do with no spark unless it's part of the old alarm that he removed. The circuit opening relay is in that area and possibly Jimmie a wire.
the thread was " no CEL on start "- I couldn't quote the thread or pic
yes thats what i was thinking........but i think i will trace the wires in that plug anyways just to be sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom