AT WITS END (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Why do I bother writing this stuff if no one reads it?
i have a question for you
in the right side kick panel i have an unconnected black 4 pin connector....two of the wires (green and white-green) are going to the gauge light dimmer rheostat......the other two(red-white and blue-red) are going somewhere inside the dash.....the red-white wire has 12v even with ignition off the other three have nothing......these are the wires i messed with and have had no spark since then......60 seconds before i messed with these the truck was running fine.....any ideas?

some more info for you guys.........this truck ran perfect when i pulled into my driveway.........i never went under the hood....went into drivers side kick panel to try to get my interior lights working...turned on the head lights to check the dash lights....head lights were on for about 5 minutes...turned the headlights off and restarted the truck to recharge battery........truck started fine...turned truck off...found two unconnected cut wires....(later found out they were speaker wires to the left drivers door....touched them to a four connector plug coming from the dash light dimmer.......about 60 seconds passed......tried to restart the truck.......no spark.....that was 3 months ago. im pretty sure the unconnected four wire plug powers my dash lights.......could a speaker wire and dash dimmer wire take this truck down like this?

some more info for you guys.........this truck ran perfect when i pulled into my driveway.........i never went under the hood....went into drivers side kick panel to try to get my interior lights working...turned on the head lights to check the dash lights....head lights were on for about 5 minutes...turned the headlights off and restarted the truck to recharge battery........truck started fine...turned truck off...found two unconnected cut wires....(later found out they were speaker wires to the left drivers door....touched them to a four connector plug coming from the dash light dimmer.......about 60 seconds passed......tried to restart the truck.......no spark.....that was 3 months ago. im pretty sure the unconnected four wire plug powers my dash lights.......could a speaker wire and dash dimmer wire take this truck down like this?

The plot thickens! I was taught that the first step when troubleshooting is to ask your self "what was the last thing I did before I had this problem?" The answer was usually "installed a stereo".
I suspect that when you missed connected these wires you damaged either the wires or a component the these wires connect to and your problem is related to this. Genius, I know...:hillbilly:

Exactly. I know what you mean.

some more info for you guys.........blah blah blah................could a speaker wire and dash dimmer wire take this truck down like this?

No, but you may be wrong about the identity of the connector, just like you may be wrong about the wires being good.

There are very few unconnected connectors on a stock 80. The few that are unconnected are generally there because you lack some kind of option. You need to find out what all the wires in that connector do by looking up their color codes. The problem is usually related to what you were doing when it failed and if you F'ed with the wires, chances are they may be F'ed up.

As far as checking the wires go, continuity and the presence of a voltage is not enough. You also have to check for a lack of continuity (short circuit) to any other wire in the harness and you have to be sure that the wire has sufficient conductivity. These checks are listed in the factory wiring manual. You haven't done that yet as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
i have a question for you
in the right side kick panel i have an unconnected black 4 pin connector....two of the wires (green and white-green) are going to the gauge light dimmer rheostat......the other two(red-white and blue-red) are going somewhere inside the dash.....the red-white wire has 12v even with ignition off the other three have nothing......these are the wires i messed with and have had no spark since then......60 seconds before i messed with these the truck was running fine.....any ideas?
Wait a minute, didn't we go through this once on another thread? You're THAT guy?
Didn't I ID those for you already? IIRC you were confused about the actual color of the wires.
You connected +12 to a random wire and blew the snot out of something. Stop me when I'm wrong.

Last edited:
if i take the tester and put black end in negative terminal on battery and put red end on the case of the igniter i get continuity also if i touch red end to igniter bracket i also get continuity...........does that mean the ground is ok?
There is a difference between "continuity" and 0 ohms. What is the setting on the meter you're using? To check things like "continuity", you should be on the most sensitive scale. On my trusty old 8060A that's 200 ohms. If you select a high enough range on a meter you will read continuity from point to point on your skin.

yes he's that guy. That's where I found the info on his voltage readings earlier..
Igniter ground is through the chassis mount. MAYBE there's enough corrosion to prevent a good ground to the igniter.
lol... there it is (yes I do read them but sometimes my wires don't have continuity)
I would just run a jumper cable from the neg terminal to the igniter, then you know its grounded.
jonheld-- does the 91 have the connector 1h1 on that right kick panel area by the glove box that you mentioned earlier..< maybe knocked it loos when he was in there.

There is a difference between "continuity" and 0 ohms. What is the setting on the meter you're using? To check things like "continuity", you should be on the most sensitive scale. On my trusty old 8060A that's 200 ohms. If you select a high enough range on a meter you will read continuity from point to point on your skin.
they didnt read zero....they read something like 2.56mv.....it would start at zero and move up slowly......

yes he's that guy. That's where I found the info on his voltage readings earlier..

lol... there it is (yes I do read them but sometimes my wires don't have continuity)
I would just run a jumper cable from the neg terminal to the igniter, then you know its grounded.
jonheld-- does the 91 have the connector 1h1 on that right kick panel area by the glove box that you mentioned earlier..< maybe knocked it loos when he was in there.
Yes, connector IH1 is behind the glove box and the entire universe of engine control as well as several other systems pass through that one.

they didnt read zero....they read something like 2.56mv.....it would start at zero and move up slowly......
STOP. Please tell me you understand the difference between ohms and volts and that you know how to set up a meter to read what you need it to read.

Wait a minute, didn't we go through this once on another thread? You're THAT guy?
Didn't I ID those for you already? IIRC you were confused about the actual color of the wires.
You connected +12 to a random wire and blew the snot out of something. Stop me when I'm wrong.
i connected a 12v to a speaker wire coming from the radio.....i pulled the dash out to trace that pink wire.....it goes to the back of the radio.....pink wire two silver dots to the left speaker and pink wire one silver dot to the right speaker

STOP. Please tell me you understand the difference between ohms and volts and that you know how to set up a meter to read what you need it to read.
i had my meter set to tone if there is continuity.......is that not how you check it? like checking a fuse?

bear with me fellas, i have only been at this for about 3 months..........this is my first cruiser........

Yes, connector IH1 is behind the glove box and the entire universe of engine control as well as several other systems pass through that one.
i was not in the right kick panel i was in the left one

i connected a 12v to a speaker wire coming from the radio.....i pulled the dash out to trace that pink wire.....it goes to the back of the radio.....pink wire two silver dots to the left speaker and pink wire one silver dot to the right speaker
Toyota wires are always marked with stripes, not dots. There is also a standard color code for speakers in the aftermarket. http://knowledge.sonicelectronix.co...-installation/wiring-harness-color-standards/
FrontSpeakers.JPG

Wow, how the story has evolved, you guys are saints to continue to try and help this guy. It's been quite entertaining reading how the OP knows so many things "as a fact" only to find out he doesn't have a multimeter and is probably using a Harbor Freight special continuity/12v energizing probe. From my viewpoint, the whole troubleshooting process has been compromised by his lack of understanding and all the things he knows as a fact...

Sorry to butt in BUT I sold new parts to the auto trade for 15 odd years. During that time I had numerous new parts fail. So if you are replacing a dizzy for example make sure that it runs in another truck. Not someone told you it runs. Then we can say it works. And your frustration shows through your posts( I know I would be too) but you need a cool head and methodical approach. YOU will fix this as long as you are determined not to let this beat you. Good Luck cheers Brian

I had a ham radio intermittently take my truck out of service. Start unplugging fuses plugs and relays to start with the basics no alarms door locks heater radio sillier lights etc etc . Then see if you have an power to where you need it . When you start plugging stuff back in check for current draw each time . It could be a couple things now. On my truck the wires you describe are my ign only power wire right of the battery without that circuit nothing works period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom