4BD1T into FJ60 Fit Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Based on the "best" place we had it, that picture is a couple inches too close the to drivers side.

I thought that I had read Doug's and Don's threads enough times...apparently not!

From the sounds of things and rereading Doug's thread, where it goes in the engine compartment doesnt matter and doesnt affect too much of anything other than fit. All of that being said, I think that I prefer to the keep the driveline in the stock location, it is far less hassle for me; I dont think that the Alternator is an issue with the engine moved over slightly; I dont have firewall issues with the engine at 1.5deg; the only issue is then the turbo, which sounds like it can get sorted with a hydroboost unit that is basically bolt on (I do still need to look into it more), or I can fab a slightly different turbo mount.

I will be going and getting two pieces of 6" length of 6"x3" box cut at 40deg later this week for engine mounts.

Bluehawk, I am using an H55F, it is the same as a stock trans from 85+ (check the month though!) I did an OME heavy+ lift (expedition rig). The starter doesnt work at all with the oil filter block off plate. The space is 0.8" IIRC and the blocking plate is 1.0". Dustin is already aware of this and is working on it. I am putting on a different turbo and the plan is for an intercooler. My inlet piping will go over the top too to a cyclone (I dont remember the LC model, but the mounts need changing) type filter. The hardest part has been all of the small stuff that keeps going wrong or needs replacing when I rebuilt the engine. I have a ton of pictures and I plan on writing a post build/rebuild thread/book on it, along with lessons learned....or that is my hope.

Mitch

Keep plugging along and remember the old adage...measure twice and cut once. Many times I stood back and stared thinking about what the next step was and how it would affect various things down the road.

You're doing good and making progress.

Cheers.

Doug

Dazed, thats cool. Just sent a PM to Dustin to see what he has come up with for the block off plate problem. Work has slowed down so I will be back on the Cruiser in a few weeks. Let me know what other problems you have had so far. If you can could you post up some pictures of your motor mounts. Did you use the stock mounts that were on the motor? Thanks again for what you have posted thus far.

Yeah, I am using the stock motor mounts and then making some frame to motor mount brackets. I am doing it like Doug: I bought 3"x6" box cut at 40deg. I bought and am using 0.25" thick box and it is a bit too thick and overkill. I am having issues right now welding it to the frame....my mig welder isnt powerful enough and I just got my neighbor's arc welder. I suck at welding to begin with, so learning a new type is a bit challenging. I will get some pictures posted at some point....I did take pictures.

My current issue revolves around the turbo still. Attached are a few pictures showing some of the predicament. The turbo does not fit, even with a hydroboost setup....this can possibly be solved by shortening the adapter. The major issue is that there isnt enough space for the air inlet pipe from the air cleaner. I think that there might be enough if the turbo is moved and tucked closer to the engine. There are a few pictures from different angles of the issue and a few pictures of how I think it can be solved. The pipe coming out of the firewall can be removed...it was used with the charcoal filter. Also, the turbo oil drain will be an issue getting to to mount the pipe with the exhaust to turbo flange being right there.

What are everyone's thoughts?

2 steps forward, 1.5 steps back.....Cruise Moab is getting closer.
Mitch

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

Last edited:
more pictures of the possible placement

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0236.jpg

IMAG0238.jpg

If I flip the manifold, the turbo is then pointed down and not up. The space issue is the same if not more complicated.

The possible placement you show is pretty much where we put Dirtgypsy's turbo and he got everything to clear and he is using the vacuum booster.

I can't add much on this turbo, but remember where ever you mount it, the turbo oil drain must be within 10 degrees of vertical to work properly. It looks like yours can be rotated, so maybe not an issue.

As to the hydroboost, have you held one up to actually check the fit? As an idea, go to AutoZone and buy a re-manufactured unit. Bring it home to check it and then return it if it won't work.

Keep pluggin along, it will be worth it.

Doug

Yeah, I went to the pick and pull yesterday and got a hydroboost and master cylinder unit off a Chevy truck.....

I am also looking at the exhaust manifold from the early 4bd1t's that has the turbo mounted vertical.

I need to look at dirtgypsys page tonight.

I'm not sure if the Hydroboost from a Chevy truck and an Astro van are the same or not. I was told the Astro van unit worked well in 60/62. Maybe the size is different?
Maybe someone who knows will chime in?

I saw a picture, I think on 4BDswaps of a manifold adapter that turned upward and left the turbo flange sitting horizontal to ground. Might be an option and maybe easier than locating a manifold.

If the manifold option is what works, try Tom's Isuzu. They have a used parts section and the prices are pretty good.

Doug

That's the picture! I think you could start the first segment angle closer the manifold which would move the turbo closer the engine too.

Doug

That is a great idea. I put the turbo about where that will put it, and it might just work.

It is amazing to see everyone's swaps and how they are different. I think his engine is over toward the passenger's side a bit more than mine, but he redid the tranny a bit. I like that he took out ALL of the excess wiring.

Thanks for the encouragement...it gets frustrating from time to time.

I used an astro hydroboost on my FJ40 and it seems like it is the same as the chevy truck model except that the astro firewall mount is angled about 25 to 30 degrees downward from the firewall whereas the chevy truck one has a flat mounting plate and will be easier to use. I just cut out the back of the vacuum booster and welded that to the hydroboost plate to adapt it to the Toyota firewall. I think FLcruiser gave me the idea and it works great.

Don

Dazed, great write up first of all. Secondly I wondered if u had any thoughts on fitment in an 80's engine bay using an A440 vs. a 60's. I don't know if u'd be able to offer much info, but figured I'd ask. I imagine wheelingnoobs writeup will cover this at some point since his adapter thickness ought to be close to Dustin's but figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks. I guess it is probably time to start the full thing. I have learned a ton that I want to document. Unfortunately, the engine still isnt in yet.

I have never actually been in an 80 engine bay. The 60 engine bay cups the engine. This has proved challenging because the original design and placement of it in an NPR allowed full use of the space above and slightly behind the engine. Without moving the tranny forward, you don't get this luxury. I still need to figure out how to do the turbo, but I have some box tube and a some good ideas. This may seem silly, but make up a cardboard box that is the same size of the engine and "attach" it to the tranny. Then one by one place your accessories, turbo in particular, where they would fit and see how well it looks and what the fit is like. I didnt do this because others had put this engine in the 60s bay but it might have been a good idea with me being the first to use this adapter.

Good luck!

Mitch,

Keep plugin along, each step is one closer to being finished and driving your diesel 60!

My suggestion to anyone doing a swap, gas or diesel, is to fit the motor complete with accessories, manifolds, turbo, alt, A/C compressor, etc. You get a much clearer idea of problems and have the most leeway to find solutions.

Doug

It (the engine is actually named the Lobster...came from an old fish delivery truck), as of 30min ago, is in. Engine mounts welded in place and good to go. I will be working through the turbo location next....details to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom