FJ60 Fuel Delivery Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a lot of threads on here concerning this issue, bucking, stalling, etc... I've read quite a few of them but nothing I've come across has helped with what I'm dealing with. My 85 FJ60 was running great around town. I put in the ac delco charcoal canister and rebuilt the carb. I've confirmed the Idle solenoid is working. The other day I took it on the freeway for the first time and couldn't get past 50 MPH and it started feeling like I was running out of gas. I pulled off the freeway and even at lower speeds it was feeling like I was running out of gas, but I had recently fueled up, so I knew that wasn't the case. I got it home and was looking at things and noticed that while running the fuel filter is collapsing (photo below). When I rev it up to 2500 RPMs I can see the float bowl level drop below the sight glass and when I let off the throttle, it seems to take longer than it should to get back up to the middle of the sight glass. I disconnected the charcoal canister, opened the gas cap and still collapses. I don't want to start swapping hoses around or dropping the tank before asking here for some advice. I just don't know what would be causing this issue, but I believe it's a fuel delivery issue causing my 60 not to run properly. I also installed a brand new fuel tank and pick up tube.

Any help is welcomed and appreciated. I've been a 40 guy for 30+ years, this is my first 60 and first time having to deal with all the extra smog stuff. I'm trying to learn. Thank you in advance for any help offered.

PS: I know it's a cheap and not the correct fuel filter and I have the correct one. I swapped it out to see if the other filter was clogged.

collapsed fuel filter.JPG

Last edited:
Did your 60 sit for any long periods of time where there could be sediment/rust in the fuel tank starving the main feed line? Given the filter collapsing I would think the fuel pump is working correctly and producing plenty of vacuum which would place the issue on the tank side of the filter.

Did your 60 sit for any long periods of time where there could be sediment/rust in the fuel tank starving the main feed line? Given the filter collapsing I would think the fuel pump is working correctly and producing plenty of vacuum which would place the issue on the tank side of the filter.
It did sit for 7 years, but like I said, I put a brand new tank and pick up tube in it.

The fuel filter- any of them- shouldn’t collapse when engine is running.
Something upstream of the filter is impeding the flow.

Have you inspected hard lines along the frame for any damage/blockage?
I gave them a quick glance last night. I'll take a closer look at them tonight to look for any damage. Thanks for the suggestion. I did blow compressed air through the feed and return lines before installing the new tank to make sure they we were clear.

The fuel filter- any of them- shouldn’t collapse when engine is running.
Something upstream of the filter is impeding the flow.
Thanks for your reply. How I'm reading this is that upstream, meaning the float needle possibly sticking closed or something of the likes. Correct?

Upstream is the source of the fuel — from the gas tank to the filter.
The mechanical fuel pump on the 2F SUCKS fuel from the tank. If there’s something blocking the flow, it will create negative pressure as it’s sucking and sucking. That negative pressure could be visible via a collapsing fuel filter.
Just to rule out manufacturing mayhem, I’d replace the fuel filter with a different type. Use the Toyota filter if it’s still available.

Upstream is the source of the fuel — from the gas tank to the filter.
The mechanical fuel pump on the 2F SUCKS fuel from the tank. If there’s something blocking the flow, it will create negative pressure as it’s sucking and sucking. That negative pressure could be visible via a collapsing fuel filter.
Just to rule out manufacturing mayhem, I’d replace the fuel filter with a different type. Use the Toyota filter if it’s still available.
I figured out the issue. Thanks for the help. I do have an OEM filter, I just need to remember where I placed it.

Can you share the fix so others who search for this issue and find your thread know the resolution?
Certainly. It was a small oversight. When I installed the new tank, I wasn't getting fuel to the filter. Suspecting the pick up and return were swapped despite marking them prior to installing the tank, I swapped them and began getting fuel to the filter but it wouldn't go past the filter. I then discovered that my pump was bad. When I installed a new pump, it didn't cross my mind to swap the pick up and return lines back to how I had them originally (the correct way). While tracing the hard lines and inspecting for damage, I realized that I still had them swapped. The return line had a slight kink in it and that is the line I had running to the pump, which is likely what was causing the negative pressure OSS mentioned. I installed them to their correct hard lines and adjusted the kinked line and fuel was flowing like it should be and my filter wasn't collapsing. Simple fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom