1988 FJ62 Engine Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wanted to share some pictures of my latest project. I purchased this 62 out of Seattle and drove it from Seattle to Denver where I started having some engine issues but little did I know I had some major engine issues. After getting it transported from Denver to Franklin, TN we started working on it right away. First thing we found we it had zero compression on three cylinders. Yes zero compression and I drove it over 1000 miles that way. Honestly I don't know how it made it that far but at the same time it was running great and had ample power. Here are some pictures of the 62.

25405664210_d5411e361f_b.jpg

Picture in Seattle when I picked it up.

25079802333_d7b4446a8c_b.jpg

Starting to take the engine apart little by little.

25405669470_0aa83d74fc_b.jpg

25079806893_0714b792e3_b.jpg

25076002004_29a1678561_b.jpg

25706425855_a49038d126_b.jpg

More to come...

The Seattle twin to my cruiser! Looks nice and clean. Looking forward to watching this rebuild!

Just did this last year myself. What's the plan for it? Straight rebuild or bored out? Not sure how much of a difference it made, but when I was doing mine, I ported out the intake runners to match the gaskets, which opened up the channels quite a bit. According to my butt-dyno, I think it helped it breath a little better. Have fun!

Planning on going .020 over on it @IBFJ62

Anything to look for? Who's master kit did you go with on the rebuild? I am going to de-smog at the same time.

Great looking truck! Love the color.

With all 6 cylinders working, I guess you'll be doing smoky burnouts and wheelstands, like the rest of us! ;)

.020 was what I went with as well. The machine shop sourced the kit and parts, they said they couldn't find a complete kit for a 62, so they sourced American made for what they couldn't get with Aisin parts. I pulled the motor and head and took it to the shop to let them do the short block rebuild, then put it back together. If I recall correctly, it was about $1600 in parts and another $1200 in machining. Pretty straightforward yank and replace, I think getting the exhaust manifold bolts to not trash the exhaust gaskets on the downpipes when I was sticking the motor back in was the biggest pain in the ass I can think of during the process. Here's a couple pics of the before and after intake runners if you're curious.

IMG_20150111_105032_543.jpg

IMG_20150111_105124_012.jpg

don't loosen the oil pump mounting boss to engine block bolts...get the galley plug tapped and plugged...retorque the head a couple times after break in before 500 miles...

not oil pan, oil pump mounting boss...it is held to the inside lip of the block via 2 bolts behind the oil cooler. IF it gets loosened and moved AT ALL from its factory location, it will make installation and removal of the dizzy impossible...ask how I found out.

Ok makes sense now. Thanks for the info. I will make sure I do all three. Don't touch the oil pump mount, tap and plug the galley plug and retorque the head. @LAMBCRUSHER

My first 3F also had close to zero compression on 3 cylinders, was still running.. Yours looks like a nice clean 3F to work on.. only hassle I have is getting valve stem seals to last more than a few thousand miles, and the timing cover usually leaks if I don't use non-hardening Form-a-Gasket on it. Don't bend the push-rods when you torque the head back on. OEM parts are damn expensive here, I use aftermarket. I got a new Aisin oil pump for half OEM cost a few years back.. port & polish a 3F head is easy, get a cheap die grinder and DIY over a weekend. Port matching also real easy on a 3F..

Found the galley plug... Looks like someone did a half way job on it already. Based on this I am guessing the head has been off this engine before.

25692251971_9b3821fcbc_b.jpg

When you're done with the engine, a H55F behind it will turn it into an entirely new critter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom