Builds 1988 BJ73 slow build... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

........Question is...paint the rims matte black or gloss...I'm thinking matte.........

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you considered "powder coating" ?

I have, but I always thought that involved having to hire someone and getting it done.

It does unless you own your on powder coating equipment however the finish is very durable if done correctly.

Did a bit of highway driving today and got a good feel and some numbers for anyone interested.

at 120KM/H I was seeing between 800-900F on the pyro and the tach was reading just a bit past 3K.

110-120KM/H was roughly what the photos show...I ran back and forth at around 110-120 for a good 35-40 minutes (closer to 120) without seeing the pyro go past 900 unless I stepped on it to pass someone...and this being God's waiting room, that happened a few times.

Last photo is just because...sexy front!

bj73_14.jpg

bj73_15.jpg

bj73_16.jpg

Jesus take it easy on the poor girl! Just kidding. Honestly they are 100km/h trucks, they get decent fuel economy there and it just gets worse the faster you go. Just like everything else. If I could travel back in time there would be a H66f in these things

an H66F eh?
that is one rare tranny ...

Yeah rumour has it it's only available in your cruiser dreams.

Didn't Jerry Seinfeld say Florida should change their license plate graphic to the top of a steering wheel with two knuckles and the top of a sunhat?

cool ! I will be more then happy if mine can cruise at 70 mph. great photos...

A blank plate with nothing on it would be more suitable, I think...bloody purgatory here!

I still need to get my A/C charged, I was driving yesterday to Port Charlotte to take my EMT National Cert. and was soaked by the time I got there. Stopped for a pint on the way home to cool off, seemed like a reasonable excuse. Having an extremely hot summer here.

Have you not had yours cruising on the highway yet, yeti?

nope no highway yet, I have gotten it up to 55 mph on some back roads 4th gear. I still am taking my 100s for the longer family trips as my AC in Rojo needs to be charged also ... I also dont have a tach so what are your shift points in MPH ? I use a GPS to see how fast I am going.

Mine looks something like :
0 - 8 mph 1 gear
9-22 mph 2 gear
23-37 mph 3 gear
38 - 55 mph 4 gear
55- 70 mph 5 gear ? not sure.

I also try and go by the sound of the engine.

That sounds similar to mine, I'm all in KM so have a cheat sheet I use if there is no traffic to follow. I'm usually in 5th around 50MPH if I'm not stopping and going (just cruising)... I think 50mph is around 1.5K-2k on the tach, will check today.

My pick-up didn't have a tach, which I drove for nearly 10 years...I got used to it quickly going by feel of power and pedal vibrations....music was usually above the engine!

Yeti, at 50mph I'm pretty much right at 2k on the tach in 5th, little past.

I was reading some posts about air-compressor placement and saw a lot of people put in the the center console, it will be a while until I can afford one, but looked at my center console and saw this...not sure what it is...part of the heater in the rear?

Turbo pic for Alberto, it's the Garrett m24 set at 10PSI.

Does anyone know what the filter is to the right of it? Had one individual guess it was for cooling, another thought it is removing pressure from the crank-case.

bj73_17.jpg

bj73_18.jpg

No idea. Trying to figure out that and what is in the center console.

Nigel,

On your center console is the blower/heat exchanger for the rear heater. There are cooling lines that run under the truck to feed hot water to the heat exchanger.

Also, it seems that you have a Turbo-Glide kit (same as the one I will be installing on my 70). The filter system attached to the firewall seems to be part of an aftermarket crank-case ventilation system.

Hope this helps!

Alberto

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom