1988 BJ73 is it good? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found 1988 BJ73 for sale in Saudi Arabia but the issue is unknown body health, no interior images and the distance clock seller is unknown seller didn't mentioned how much it has kilometers and the engine needs to be overhauled.

I'm wondering if it valuable to buy it then resale as is or do project the sell but don't have the idea how could cost (if it too costly then will be cancelled)

If you at my posting what would you do? What about engine overhauling or better to replace the engine?

The vehicle is far from me about like 150km

It's pretty rear to find BJ73 in Saudi because of that need some thoughts.

IMG_20231231_102833.jpg

IMG_20231231_102855.jpg

IMG_20231231_102939.jpg

IMG_20231231_103020.jpg

Depends on many things. Do you want to keep, re-sell or part out? Sight unseen, only if really cheap, like less than $2000 aud. Then it is possible to get money back in parts.
Impossible to tell condition of motor without seeing it and hopefully running.

Depends on many things. Do you want to keep, re-sell or part out? Sight unseen, only if really cheap, like less than $2000 aud. Then it is possible to get money back in parts.
Impossible to tell condition of motor without seeing it and hopefully running.

Actually conditions is unknown and engine needs to be overhauling so in this case is it better to replace the engine by same engine or overhaul
the current engine.

Is worth to buy it then rebuild the vehicle only because it is BJ73 that makes me thinking.

Actually conditions is unknown and engine needs to be overhauling so in this case is it better to replace the engine by same engine or overhaul
the current engine.

Is worth to buy it then rebuild the vehicle only because it is BJ73 that makes me thinking.
only if cheap, it costs $$$ to rebuild!

how much to send it to me ?

150 km far ? That's like driving to the grocery store for me , jump in your car and go take a look at it if you are interested

150 km far ? That's like driving to the grocery store for me , jump in your car and go take a look at it if you are interested
Anyway it's not about the distance I don't want go there then and get disappointed like maybe the vehicle in bad condition or vehicle clock more than 500000 or rusty but I don't think so is too rusty because in Saudi not rust is very common.

I'm in between I want buy rebuild it then resell it or buy it and leave more couple years because this one is rear.

Anyway it's not about the distance I don't want go there then and get disappointed like maybe the vehicle in bad condition or vehicle clock more than 500000 or rusty but I don't think so is too rusty because in Saudi not rust is very common.

I'm in between I want buy rebuild it then resell it or buy it and leave more couple years because this one is rear.
If the effort of spending half a day to go look at it sounds as to much “work” to you already I suggest finding another hobby like collecting pokemon stuff or something like that . The first look at a possible new to you cruiser should excite you and make it hard to sleep the night before , if that doesn’t ring a bell , really , find something else to do and btw this is something that might be recently imported so there is no way of knowing if it has rust or not then go and take a look at it in person !

@hoser
I called the owner and you were right the car been imported from Japan to Saudi Arabia and the changed from RHD to LHD.

the update is:
Car still unknown mileage.
Still factory paint no repaint job.
Engine have two piston issues so need to overhaul.
Gearbox and 4wd system are great.
Someone offered him 13000SAR equivalent to 3465USD and if I offered little more he will sell to me.

Not sure what to do

Finding another 13bt or 3b engine- which are coming up on 35-40 years old- is a chore. Converting to another engine is a garage project i would not consider with the availability of newer complete trucks in your area.

I certainly would not pay $3,400 for an unknown.

I am trying to understand why this was done in a country where the 73/74 was already being sold legally there in LHD format.
I don’t think any BJ73’s where sold new there and lhd B74’s ….. well we know there are less then 10 made for Toyota in France to enter the PD ralley as a “production” car

I don’t think any BJ73’s where sold new there and lhd B74’s ….. well we know there are less then 10 made for Toyota in France to enter the PD ralley as a “production” car

So the conversion was done before the Saudi's could buy new 73/74 gassers (FJ73, FZJ74, etc) in their own dealerships?

If the effort of spending half a day to go look at it sounds as to much “work” to you already I suggest finding another hobby like collecting pokemon stuff or something like that . The first look at a possible new to you cruiser should excite you and make it hard to sleep the night before , if that doesn’t ring a bell , really , find something else to do and btw this is something that might be recently imported so there is no way of knowing if it has rust or not then go and take a look at it in person !

The first look at a possible new to me cruiser should excite you and make it hard to sleep the night before. I appreciate your comment but this not for me you can say that to any American like you who deprived to see and drive LC70 series 😏
It's normal for me to see a land cruiser every day 😉

Last edited:
If you see a land cruiser every day, then find a better example to start with. This one’s a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom