Bj73 & 33x10.5x15” inch tires? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey all,
Does anyone have any insights on a 3bii (1990 bj73) having enough power to push 33x10.5x15 tires? I’m at altitude, and I know that it won’t help. But is that too big of a tire in general, for the power of a 3bii? Or could I run it without too much issue?

Thanks!
Abe
Hey Abe!

You will be fine…should just be slower, than you already were. It shouldn’t be a huge difference as some factory tire sizes for a bj73 were 7.5x16x6prlt which works out to 31.8” x 8.7” x 16”.

also depending on the brand, actual sizes vary a bit so it could be quite a bit of difference in size of the 33” tires.

Should be just fine. For a short while I had a BJ73 with 33x12.5x15 tires and it wasn’t as sluggish as I was expecting. I’m only at 3500’ though, so not too much power loss from altitude.
7X4A3349.jpeg

That is exactly what I run in Boulder, CO! (3bii included). In short, no issues. I drive an '89 BJ73. I've run this tire size since I bought the truck though, so I have nothing to compare to.

The difference between the 33's and the OEM spec'd 265/75/R15:
1706907717273.png

The width difference is minimal, so not a huge burden on steering. Regarding height (and impact on power to the road), BFG's run shorter than specified by about 1 or 2 inches, so I figure they are probably closer in height than indicated above.

3B is torquey enough to run great on the trails with these tires, you won't skip a beat. On the rocky mountain highways you'll always have pissed drivers trying to pass. I doubt a smaller radius tire would help much. 3B is slow, gotta learn to live with it or turbo it and sacrifice some money and motor longevity. Sorry in advance if your thread now gets taken over by a 3B turbo debate 😆

What tires are you running now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom