Yoshi the HDJ81 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kenavt

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Welcome to the tales of Yoshi the HDJ81 Land Cruiser!

IMG_2978.jpeg
IMG_2980 2.jpeg

More about the truck below. For how I ended up with this HDJ81, skip down a few paragraphs.

== about the truck aka the good stuff ==

And so here I am, with Yoshi. A VX-Limited 03/1997 with 226k km (140k miles), some broken items (AC, mirror retracts), in the fun Dark Emerald/silver two-tone that I'm really excited about. Of course, the 1HD-FT (24 valves!) with the A442F, timing belt sticker says last done at 200,423km. Unfortunately she's missing a lot of the fun JDM options (like the center console fridge or tire swingout). She seems to have landed on our shores in good condition (so far I've put 100 miles on during this PNW heatwave weekend with no noticeable leaks or issues, and at 19 MPG!), but still going through and I'm sure there's fun things left to find. Already found a few odd fun Japanese electrical modifications, but largely stock mechanically it seems.

The plan from here is to build out somewhat similar to what I was planning for my 60. Starting with baselining; then a set of gauges and things to tackle EGTs, interior comfort mods, a small lift, bigger tires, eventually a FMIC and Gturbo... but that'll be in the future, I want this to be a slower build while I enjoy the truck along the way (and funds become available 😉). Also I have had a lot of fun following folks' HDJ81 build threads on here while waiting for the truck to arrive.

I'm planning a cross-country road trip for August, so that's what my initial efforts will be geared around - baselining and useful quick mods for the trip.

== self-indulgent story ==

The full story of how I've ended up with Yoshi is a long one, so this is my attempt at an abbreviated one. 😂

I've had a FJ60 since fall 2019, and have had a lot of fun with it. I've ended up daily-driving that truck on and off in the last three years, and still really enjoy it! That truck has taught me to wrench as much as I have, and I love it dearly and through the blood, sweat, and tears from it.

But I still felt held back and restricted from doing a ton with it, on the 60-series, 2F, H41 platform. Not being able to comfortably do highway speeds, not having AC (mine was not so optioned), not having modern safety features, terrible fuel economy, etc, etc.. the typical old Cruiser complaints you hear. Trying to convince my friends to come along on trips became more difficult as time went on, especially when I blew the original 2F in an August Central Valley CA day. That was probably my fault, but did not do anything for that truck's reputation. Some of those would be fixed with dumping even more money into the truck (a more modern engine especially once I moved out of CA earlier this year, a H55 swap, etc) but it wouldn't solve others.

This then intersected with my long-time dream (over ten years now) of importing a car from Japan. A decade ago when I was a teenager, I pictured a beautiful gunmetal grey or red pearl metallic Skyline GT-R R32 or Montego Blue FD RX-7 rolling into my driveway one day (to the point of scrolling through Japanese dealer auctions even then). That desire has come and gone through the years as I've gotten to own various cars, learn more about what I like, and have not yet given up on the Skyline dream. But when I heard about the HDJ81 and realized that's what I wanted my 60 to be.

So I started looking in earnest in February with some help from other HDJ81 owners; won an auction in April (using Davey Japan as my auction agent); and it was on a boat to Tacoma where it arrived last week (used Sound Brokerage as my customs agent) and it's registered and titled with the WA DOL. Happy to answer more questions about that process but there's also a lot of reading you can do online from loads of sources including here on MUD. I recommend the firms I used and would use them again, and there's plenty good ones out there.

I had a few criteria for the truck:
- HDJ81/1HD
- automatic (my first ever auto... i've owned seven previous manuals)
- Had to have airbags (optional in Japan 1995+)
- as good interior as I could get for my budget
- as low km as I could get for my budget
- nice to have: cool color combo

What does this mean for Cara my 60? I'm dragging my feet but... it really doesn't make sense for me to have two Land Cruisers where I live (parked in inner city Seattle) plus my third non-Cruiser car. Plus a 60 would buy a lot of improvements to a HDJ81 that would not immediately depreciate away. Not ready to sell her yet but... sigh.

== ==

Let the fun begin!

IMG_2947.jpeg

[reserved for something in the future, who knows yet]

Some fun observations from a few days with Yoshi:
  • I've driven RHD in the US before, but not for very long. Highway cruising takes some conscious thought, as well as tight city street maneuvering. But it's learnable! The worst part is the turn signal stalk being switched from the opposite side of LHD.
  • The stock turbo timer really took me by surprise. Fortunately I had browsed through the owner's manual (all in Japanese) and had noticed the table explaining the timer, but it still took me for surprise the first time I parked it in my garage (causing me to book it out of the garage for a few minutes 😂).
  • First crank starts are no joke. This 1HD-FT has started up instantly every time. It's awesome.
  • My interior was in better shape then I expected, except for high-touch driver areas which are rather worn. (steering wheel, gear shift lever, driver's seat)
  • My mirror retracts sometimes kinda work. I'm going to want these for my parking situation but not sure when I'll get to them.
  • Power antenna buttons rock!
  • I have this nifty aftermarket radio that has the cutest animations (need to get a photo). Unfortunately it has no phone input and I want a CarPlay radio, but its cute animations have made me hold off for now.
  • I have a working D light in the cluster!

Basic work done thus far:
  • My oil pressure gauge was reading really low when I picked up the truck (never exceeding 1/3, usually sitting at 1/6). I changed the oil and filter (new OEM 90915-30002), and now the oil pressure can go up to 1/2 and usually sits at 1/3. I'm just assuming the oil pressure sensor/gauge are reading low (seems to be a common issue) and at some point I'll verify with a mechanical gauge.
  • New OEM air filter as well (17801-61030). Maybe the old one was salvageable but I felt like being spendy to start off on the right foot. 😉
  • New Costco 27 and 27F batteries. Surprisingly my batteries seemed okay (usually they're old and drained after sitting in dealer lots/on the transcontinental voyage), but I had bought new ones anyway and brought to the port just in case so in they went.
  • Sent in my oil for a Blackstone analysis, never done this before.
  • This week is about replacing all fluids, new tires (has snows on right now), and digging into improvements and mods. Now that I have eyes on the truck, also thinking about replacing all the coolant hoses on top of the thermostat during the coolant flush.

Last edited:
Nice Truck I get mine in a couple weeks. Are you going to put on a intercooler ?.I seem to have that on mine for more power. I guess the former owner was headed towards the 1hd-fte route in later years.

Congrats from a fellow HDJ81 owner! I've really enjoyed the 1HD-FT in mine as well.

In the process of further baselining and modifying mine, I'll keep an eye on your thread too - enjoy!

@kenavt congrats!!! We’ll miss you in the 60 forum bud.
Thank you!! But you're not rid of me over there quite yet 😉

Nice Truck I get mine in a couple weeks. Are you going to put on a intercooler ?.I seem to have that on mine for more power. I guess the former owner was headed towards the 1hd-fte route in later years.
I do want to put on a front-mounted intercooler soon-ish. I have it mostly figured out besides the intercooler piping... not sure how I can make my own. Obviously the Aussie kits (like the PDI kit) are the gold standard, but I think I can save some money if I can figure out the piping. Which of course is a good amount of what you pay for with those kits.

For me, it would be less about power and more about EGTs. For now.

Congrats from a fellow HDJ81 owner! I've really enjoyed the 1HD-FT in mine as well.

In the process of further baselining and modifying mine, I'll keep an eye on your thread too - enjoy!
Thanks! I had subscribed to your thread a while back while looking at HDJ81 owners on here, looking forward to seeing what you do with yours too!

Alright folks, can you drive around without an AC belt on a 1HD? My AC compressor pulley is so frozen that it started squealing last night in the driveway and burned through and snapped before I was able to leave this afternoon (ironically for a tire apt to get 285/75r16s KO2s fitted). The AC belt only has the crank, compressor, and idler pulley on it so I can't think of any reason why you couldn't, but I'm still cautious. Are there any reasons not to drive around missing the AC belt?

Also means that my AC compressor is toast... my dreams of just recharging the system are dashed. Time to learn about and research all the other options. I'm slowly getting into the idea of having as much US diesel stuff on this truck as possible.

Last edited:
I also drained the front and rear diff gear oil, replaced with 80W-90; and the fun 10mm hex key OEM drain/fill plugs and crush washers (90341-18021 and 12157-10010), which I'll also do for the transfer case and transmission.

I also replaced the fuel filter with Toyota OEM 23303-64010. I didn't realize how "involved" a diesel fuel filter change is (I thought it was like an oil filter for some reason), and I'd recommend this video for the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZwh6TKvf-c. I think the FSM is probably also good if you've done it before and need a quick refresher. I also picked up the o-ring 23344-54010, seeing in the parts diagrams and not really understanding what it was but figuring it was a dollar and probably worth it. Turns out it was for the warning switch in the bottom of the filter, which in hindsight was in the name. The old one was in OK shape but I swapped it anyway.

IMG_3054.jpeg

When I went to prime the system, it was able to build up pressure, but my primer started leaking. It started up immediately last night anyway, and then sat overnight and started up immediately this morning too (no priming needed). So hopefully I don't have air in my system. Eying some Chevy parts as replacements for the primer and filter if I do, may bypass it temporarily if needed.

As long as you have at least one belt driving the fan/ water pump you're drivable. Always nice to have a belt driving the alternator and PS pump if you want to go very far.

(This is where someone tells me half of that stuff is gear driven on a 1HD, because, HD.)

As long as you have at least one belt driving the fan/ water pump you're drivable. Always nice to have a belt driving the alternator and PS pump if you want to go very far.

(This is where someone tells me half of that stuff is gear driven on a 1HD, because, HD.)
Nothing is gear driven Externally.

Here's the injection pump timing belt.
You can see the wp, alt and ps are a 2 belt setup and the ac is separate

Nothing is gear driven Externally.

Here's the injection pump timing belt.
You can see the wp, alt and ps are a 2 belt setup and the ac is separate
I don't have one to look at in my driveway so didn't want to assume =)

Seen some (internal) gear driven PS pumps on heavy equipment and seen small diesel engines run internal gear driven water pumps.

I still have both of my main drive belts (for the water pump, alternator, and power steering). Put over a hundred miles on the truck now without the AC belt and everything's fine. I do have new belts on order next, though.

I still have both of my main drive belts (for the water pump, alternator, and power steering). Put over a hundred miles on the truck now without the AC belt and everything's fine. I do have new belts on order next, though.
nice truck, i just picked up a 93 hdj81 and going through the baseline thing also. doing the diffs this weekend (well my son is, i just had shoulder surgery) and possibly the transfer case. i like you reference part numbers, i have a spread sheet i keep all my numbers on,
i have multiple numbers on the belts and have not confirmed or ordered spares yet, do you have the numbers for the belts? 3 total, one set of 2 and 1 of 1. the ones installed are ok (mitsubishi) but?
thanks and have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom