Builds Yeti my 80 series 2fe build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dude, that sounds pretty good.

And the big Q, how does it drive?
Yes, a good question indeed. It drives pretty dang good. It's been a while since I drove the 3fe so I sort of forgot what it felt like. But I will say that I can definitely feel an increase in torque when driving around on flat, accelerating, and going up hills.

There is one hill by my house that I remember with the 3fe having to have my foot right to the floor, the tranny would downshift to third, it would be revving at about 3500rpm, and it could barely hold it's speed. I went up it yesterday and I was able to accelerate up it in fourth at about 2200rpm and still have pedal travel left. So the torque increase is there, I can especially feel it in the 1800-2500 range. If I depress the accelerator all the way then it will downshift, rev to about 3500, and "take off" (Well not really, but it isn't bad).

I would like to stress that it is no rocket, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Also it seems like the powerband of the engine and the shift points of the a440f don't agree with each other. The more I drive it the more the idea of a h55f becomes appealing to me.

I will have to drive it around more, play with the timing, and update you guys with my impressions.

How about some mpg results also?

I don't know enough about Toyota transmission's to know but can't you adjust the shift points and line pressures?

I don't know enough about Toyota transmission's to know but can't you adjust the shift points and line pressures?

With the 93-97s the line pressure is adjusted by a cable that runs from the throttle plate and boosts it accordingly according to gas pedal position. Shift points are bumped up by using the "Power" button.

On the 3FE/A440F both shift points and line pressure are controlled by that cable. So adjusting it so the little bead moves away from the stopper will both raise line pressure and shift points. I ran mine a little tighter to compensate for cable stretch and it feels pretty good.

Last edited:
You can't definitely hear the tractor lineage shining through with this old beast!!

Here is a video of it idling,

What do you guys think? The exhaust doesn't quite sound like I was expecting, but then again the tired, old, stock exhaust setup is kinda pathetic.

Finally filmed a 0-60 run. ~17 seconds on this one. My average is around 16.5. I'm happy with that, heck of a lot better than it used to be.:cool:

Where's the power light?

Here's the question, does it cruise at 75mph without having to keep your foot in the tank?

Thanks guys. I'm hoping the Cruiser will go to someone who will finish it and keep you all updated. And I totally plan to get back into another Cruiser someday, this is just a temporary condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom