Wheels that work, part numbers (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Does anyone know if the new Toyota rock crawler steel 17x7 6 lug rims that come on the new FJ's will fit on a 85' FJ60? I have found a set of five for 100$ and would like to get them if possible. I plan on painting my stock rims black anyway and I think for 100$ it would be cheaper to just buy these.

I have a set of the black steel (plain jane) 17 inch FJ cruiser wheels on my 60 with AT tires. I'm running some spacers so I can't tell you if they fit wiithout modification. I've not had time yet to figure that out.

Any photos of this?

Here is one...my truck is at my frineds shop right now so unable to take any other pics at the present.
100_3802.jpg

Unique 42-7760 16x7" rims, 3.75" backspace. I put them on my 60 and they clear the tie-rod ends by about almost 1/4" and the calipers by a bit less than 1/8" (eyeballed).

I have a set of the black steel (plain jane) 17 inch FJ cruiser wheels on my 60 with AT tires. I'm running some spacers so I can't tell you if they fit wiithout modification. I've not had time yet to figure that out.

Where might one find those? Is that just the rim for the spare or something(I haven't seen them on a FJC). I kinda like that look.

Wheel dramas....I have them!

Nobody is mentioning offset much. I notice most manufacturers supply them with zero off set or negative offset. Offset is going to effect things as much as backspacing.

I have a set of 16" steelies I really like. Two problems with them, they have a super lame ring welded to them which makes my truck vibrate badly at 55mph plus. They can't really be balanced with this stupid ring on them. They could also use maybe 1" more backspacing to tuck the brakes into the rim. Otherwise they are perfect. They look to me to have a positive offset. They are a generic rim but I think way back when we ordered them with a specific backspacing and offset.

It looks like 3.5"ish is about right for backspacing and keeping your brakes tucked inside the rims yet still clearing tres. What has me worried is the whole brake caliper thing in the front. I really do not want to order some rims online only to get them and find I have issues with the calipers. No way I am running wheel spacers on this truck, absolutely no need with the right rim.

I guess I need to take a closer look at my 16" rims and try to match them up to a new rim with 1" more backspacing. :hmm:

I think I will visit a few local tire shops today. And take in the 16" rims I have that work but need a touch more backspacing. See what the shops say....I have got to find the right rim, price things out, weigh my options and decide if I am running 15" rims with MTRs or 16" rims with Creepeis.

"Offset is going to effect things as much as backspacing."

Offset is just another way to measure backspacing...

t

"Offset is going to effect things as much as backspacing."

Offset is just another way to measure backspacing...

t

true enough....but the two can effect each other. A wheel with zero offset and a 3.5" BS is not the same as a wheel with say -40mm of offset and 3.5" backspacing.

I just bought some M/T Classic 2 in black with a 3.625 BS. As per reports in this thread and the guy on the 4Wheelparts website who has an FJ62 and bought these....I think all my wheel dramas are over.

The variable is wheel width. Since we only care about clearing our calipers and TRE's we use back spacing. Now if we want a specific wheel width, offset would be more beneficial. On an 8 inch wheel 3.5" backspacing is roughly -13mm offset.

Hopefully that was helpful and not a useless post haha.

Here is one...my truck is at my frineds shop right now so unable to take any other pics at the present.

Elbert, what size tires are you running and what lift (if any)? That is pretty much exactly the look I am going for but wondering what it would look like at stock height? I am looking for an FJ60, in the Desert Beige and then adding an Isuzu 4BD1/2T in there and keeping everything as close to stock height as possible.

I went to the 16 inch wheel on my 62 and I'm glad I did. My truck rides a lot better, but I think the real difference is in the tires.

What was really interesting was how little the major tire stores know about Landcruisers. Don't assume they know what they are talking about. And they are really stupid. I went to two different shops, one was a local tire/wheel dealer who has been here for years, and the other was Discount Tire. Discount Tire said they could order a wheel that fit. Very few choices. So I told them to order it. Came in the next day. They got my truck in the shop and the mgr didn't tell the kid in the shop anything and he promptly unmounted all the old tires. The new tires were in a trailer behind the Cruiser. So when I walked back out to the shop there were all the old rims and tires all separated. I finally caught the manager who was busy with other customers. I asked him about breaking down the old tires. He shrugged. So I go back out there in the shop where the kid had finally discovered that the old rims didn't go with the new tires I had. Won't fit, he tells me. So I decided to let them figure it out. I went back in the waiting room. So eventually the kid comes in and gets the manager. They have another discussion. The manager shows him a stack of new rims that had just come in. So they figured out that the new rims went with the new tires I had in the trailer. So wanting to be efficient, the kid mounts up all the tires and rims, then balances them all. I'm watching through the window. He rolls the first tire and wheel over to the front passenger side. He pushed it on there, takes it off. Puts it back on again. Pushes harder this time. Gets another guy over and they look everything over really good. They finally come get the manager again. Another discussion. He gets on the phone. A heated discussion now with somebody and then he goes out into the shop and looks at the wheel. Finally, he comes back in and tells me the wheels they ordered will fit, but I have to take them to a machine shop or something and have a little metal ridge machined off inside the center bore. I said, "Not bloodly likely." So then I tell him, just put the old tires back on. He tells me the kid has already unmounted all of them. I said, That's what I was trying to tell you while ago. So then he realizes that he doesn't have a rim that will fit and my truck doesn't leave the shop until he re-mounts all the old tires and rims. He wants me to pay for having them put back on. I told him, if you had took one tire off, and took one of the new rims out of the box and checked to see if it was going to work before you unmounted all of them, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So he wasn't very happy and finally after about two and a half hours I left just the way I'd come in. New tires still in the trailer. Finally got the rims I'm running now from TireMax. And even they had trouble finding one that would work. Most of the time the center bore is going to be the problem. You have to have 106.25 on the centerbore.

So the wheel I selected was HELO 842 16x8 with ZERO offset which is 4 inches of backspacing and a 106.25 center bore. I really needed 3.75 backspacing on an 8 inch rim, so it was still tight. They had to put a 1/4 spacer on the front and they still rubbed a tiny bit. But I like the rims a lot.

Anybody have issues with Discount Tire not wanting to touch any vehicle that has spacers on it? I have had several tell me that they will not work on them as a company policy for safety reasons. I also have the 1/4 spacers in front, but don't know what to do about getting them balanced with out leaving my truck at home on jack stands. Anybody just grind the back lip off so it does not rub the caliper?

I went to the 16 inch wheel on my 62 and I'm glad I did. My truck rides a lot better, but I think the real difference is in the tires.

What was really interesting was how little the major tire stores know about Landcruisers. Don't assume they know what they are talking about. And they are really stupid. I went to two different shops, one was a local tire/wheel dealer who has been here for years, and the other was Discount Tire. Discount Tire said they could order a wheel that fit. Very few choices. So I told them to order it. Came in the next day. They got my truck in the shop and the mgr didn't tell the kid in the shop anything and he promptly unmounted all the old tires. The new tires were in a trailer behind the Cruiser. So when I walked back out to the shop there were all the old rims and tires all separated. I finally caught the manager who was busy with other customers. I asked him about breaking down the old tires. He shrugged. So I go back out there in the shop where the kid had finally discovered that the old rims didn't go with the new tires I had. Won't fit, he tells me. So I decided to let them figure it out. I went back in the waiting room. So eventually the kid comes in and gets the manager. They have another discussion. The manager shows him a stack of new rims that had just come in. So they figured out that the new rims went with the new tires I had in the trailer. So wanting to be efficient, the kid mounts up all the tires and rims, then balances them all. I'm watching through the window. He rolls the first tire and wheel over to the front passenger side. He pushed it on there, takes it off. Puts it back on again. Pushes harder this time. Gets another guy over and they look everything over really good. They finally come get the manager again. Another discussion. He gets on the phone. A heated discussion now with somebody and then he goes out into the shop and looks at the wheel. Finally, he comes back in and tells me the wheels they ordered will fit, but I have to take them to a machine shop or something and have a little metal ridge machined off inside the center bore. I said, "Not bloodly likely." So then I tell him, just put the old tires back on. He tells me the kid has already unmounted all of them. I said, That's what I was trying to tell you while ago. So then he realizes that he doesn't have a rim that will fit and my truck doesn't leave the shop until he re-mounts all the old tires and rims. He wants me to pay for having them put back on. I told him, if you had took one tire off, and took one of the new rims out of the box and checked to see if it was going to work before you unmounted all of them, we wouldn't be having this discussion. So he wasn't very happy and finally after about two and a half hours I left just the way I'd come in. New tires still in the trailer. Finally got the rims I'm running now from TireMax. And even they had trouble finding one that would work. Most of the time the center bore is going to be the problem. You have to have 106.25 on the centerbore.

So the wheel I selected was HELO 842 16x8 with ZERO offset which is 4 inches of backspacing and a 106.25 center bore. I really needed 3.75 backspacing on an 8 inch rim, so it was still tight. They had to put a 1/4 spacer on the front and they still rubbed a tiny bit. But I like the rims a lot.

That my friend is why I do my OWN homework on this s***!!

I have 3 sets of rims at my house that will all work on my Cruiser. One is what came on the truck, s***ty 15"x10" aluminums, I don't mind the actual look but hate a 10" wide. Next is a steel spoker that has to much backspacing for my liking, it does fit and work though. Next up is what I have on now, a 16x7 with only about 1.75" of backspacing. As I say all three of these bolt up with no dramas at all. Problem is I do not want to run any of them, the 15" is to wide and I hate 15" wheels. The steel spokers have to much backspacing, it is like 6" or something crazy. The ones I have now have a big lame steel ring whelded on them, above 55mph my truck shakes so bad the cd skips! How I got so lucky that all three will work is beyond me but it doesn't matter because....

I ordered up a new set of 16x8" M/T Classics, black with a 3.65" backspacing. Same specs used by several people here int his thread who report it works fine. I bought them from 4Wheel Parts who said M/T would be 2-3 months to get the rims out. I was like nope, pull some strings or I am shopping elsewhere for different rims. They pulled strings and rims will be here in a few days, about 10-14days from when I ordered them.

I measured all three rims like 10x each, I read about 15 threads on wheels and in paticular I noted wheels people reported working with no dramas. I got on a website with my numbers and the names of the rims I know work and that I like. I decided on the M/T black classics due to price and the fact that they will work with no dramas, that and they have a nice heavy load capacity.

I also went into my local tire shop, a place I spend $5-10k a year at on fuel. It was their big snow tire rush day/week and they were s***ting twinkies. They got all flustered when I said I needed a special rim, blah blah blah. So I left and solved my own problems. Before I go in to have them mounted and balanced I will check if the work, don't want to freak those guys out in there! :rolleyes:

I have 3 sets of rims at my house that will all work on my Cruiser.

I showed my wife just to prove that I wasn't the only one on the planet with three sets of rims in the garage. She thinks its some kind of sickness.

I have 3 sets of rims at my house that will all work on my Cruiser.

I showed my wife just to prove that I wasn't the only one on the planet with three sets of rims in the garage. She thinks its some kind of sickness.

It is a sickness! Hahaha! :D

You shoud see what else in in my garage.... :rolleyes:

I ordered "custom" wheels from US Wheel. You order them at US Wheel and pay for them through Summit Racing. In 2005 they cost me $63 each delivered to my house.

Call US Wheel to give them the specifications. Mine were part# 88-7760 raw steel Daytonas. You will specify backspacing and raw/painted whatever... Mine are 16x7 wheels, 6x5.5 bolt pattern and 3" BS (or 3.25" depending on which paperwork you look at...!) for my Q78x16 Swampers on my 60.

US Wheel is at 714-892-0021. Tell them you want to place a custom order and pay Summit (I can't say for certain that they still have this arrangement)

IMG_5202.jpg

Wheels.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with too many to mention here - you have to do your own research. There is alot of confusion with new generation offsets and design. Then there are oldtimers who don't use metric offsets, and basically all backspacing was standard for 4X4's. I've found the big problem with 15" wheels on any Landcruiser is clearing the caliper. Some fit, some don't. Easy rule: no B.S. greater than 4".Basically if I were to give advice, use 16" wheels or larger diameter and there will be no issues with tie rods or calipers. Now before someone jumps on me, backspacing is an issue, but it's not that complicated. I bought ProComp Series 98 in a 17"x9" with 4" B.S. but I didn't want to use flares, keeping dirt and mud inside the wheelwells. (wish now I'd gone to 10" but that would have had wheels sticking 1" more outside and then I'd have needed flares ) but too late for that. I got Toyo M/T Open Country 285/75R17 Tires. They are a perfect fit for the 9" rims. I also have no need for flares, I didn't have to grind calipers and no worries on the tie rods. The tires are fantastic and the ride is great. ProComp Series 98 17X9 4_BS.jpg

P1030403.jpg

The Toyo's are E rated, they are heavy. But I have a diesel and big loads for hunting and hauling dogs. I couldn't be happier.
P1030403.jpg
ProComp Series 98 17X9 4_BS.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom