Wheels that work, part numbers (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ProComp will make some of their steel wheels in a custom backspace. If you talk to the guys at 4wheelparts they can put you in touch with somebody at ProComp. The ProComp person will give you a part number that you can use to order through 4wheelparts. Other vendors besides 4wp probably do the same thing.

When I was looking I didn't find any other options in an alloy 16" with around a 3.5" backspace. Not to say they don't exist, but I had no luck tracking anything else down.

You're welcome sir.

Summit will also make "dropship" wheels any size, bolt pattern, and backspacing. There are a few different manufacturers to choose from.

I have alloy wheels right now and I'm just tired of them. They look good and are lighter than steel wheels but the tires I have will never be light. So it's kinda pointless to worry about weight in that sense haha. I have a vision of making my rig look like its actually from 1984. Old school Toyota stuff. You dig?

16x8, 4" backspace, no spacers

I did a SOA, and Les Schwabb ordered alloy wheels 16x8, 4" backspace and I run LT28575R16 WildCountry tires on them and I have been on some extreme 4x4 roads w/locked axles. Never had the tires hit the body or frame, and caliper is just fine.

I have some steelies ordered from Summit Racing that are also 16x8, 4" BS. They are SUM-85-6883, 'Summit Racing® 85 Black 8 Series Wheels', and run $55 with free shipping on 2 or more. The alloy will go back on a stock Cruiser, but I will have to add a 1/2" spacer to accommodate the steering arm.

It is not usually the caliper, it is the tie rod end hitting the edge of the rim. The Cragar 310-5660 is a direct factory replacement.

I'm running 16x8, 4BS AL on a SOA, and it clears everything. Putting those same rims on a stock FJ60 requires a .25 spacer (giving me a 3.75 BS), which gives me .125 clearance between the tie rod boot and the wheel rim. With a 15" rim, the tie rod end will hit the rim, because on the 16" wheel, the tie rod is just inside the outer edge of the rim. Have a look at your current setup, which if it is stock, will be the 3.5" BS. Measure between your tie rod and current rim. If you have more than .250 clearance now, those 3.75 tires should fit. If they don't fit, you should be able to add a GOR-SP603 (1/4) spacer (only for the front) with the steel rims and you should be OK.

For my AL rims, the wheel flange is 1/2" or more thick, so I bought a set of GOR-41138ET (.620x.300 shank lug nuts) for the front to go with the spacers. This more than compensates for the .250 threads I lost when putting the spacer in.

Just curious, is there some reason you aren't using 16"? I'm moving my weels to 16" because the 15" tires are becoming more and more rare.

On those wheels you listed, I would call summit and have them measure the backspacing. If they have 0" offset, they should be 3.5 (7/2=3.5). Someone on another thread had mentioned that. Interesting that Summit specs 4.5 BS with a 0 offset on an 8" wheel. Everything on the 'net seems to agree that 0 offset means the mounting flange is in the center of the wheel.

So on the SUM-85-6883 (16x8-4BS, -12mm offset) that I just received, I measure 4" from the very edge of the rim to the mounting flange, and they are stated to have a 12mm offset (.472"). However, the wheel measures 9" from outside edge to outside edge, and from bead to bead it measures 8". They measure the offset from the bead, but the BS from the edge of the rim. Confusing for me.
Hope that helps somebody.

Last edited:
Another Wheel Option

I just got these wheels from Discount Tire. Their called a 'Tracker' manufactured by Level 8. It's a 15x8. I'm not sure the exact back spacing (only info on this refers to offset) but its the only one they carry in this size with the 6x5.5 lug pattern. I can tell you there is loads of clearance to the caliper and no rubbing on the TRE's. They are one-piece aluminum and appear to be very well made. Available in matte black or polished.

Link to manufacturer website: http://www.level8wheels.com/wheels/tracker

I'm very happy with them so far.

Here's a couple pics with 33 x 1050 x 15 tires.

-Ed

IMG-20131010-00090.jpg

IMG-20131011-00095.jpg

That website sucks in the information department. Pretty pictures, though. :)

What is the offset? Offset is directly related to backspacing, since it gives you the amount of mm from the center of the wheel. Positive offset gives you more backspace, negative less.

Cheap 16x8 Steel rims that fit well

So I finally got around to checking the 16x8 Summitt Racing black steel rims I bought on a stock FJ60, and they have plenty of clearance for both of the caliper and tie rod ends. They are SUM-85-6883, and run $55 each. Can't beat them for price - I was quoted $111 from the local tire shop for the same thing.

Just curious, is there some reason you aren't using 16"? I'm moving my weels to 16" because the 15" tires are becoming more and more rare.

I like the 15'' rim because of its performance on Sand and the deeper knurl that the rim lip has, i have the 16'' rim that came with the rig when i bought it and i kept getting pop-outs when i side slope. We also have manufacturers out here that still make tires for 15'' rims but they are also fast becoming an extinct species, that and i like the look of more rubber less rim. This is a picture of a typical sand tire:

Those are pretty cool

nfranco you had to post those. I've looked at those and drooled. Not sure if they would look good on my Light Blue Metallic FJ60 though.

And a year later for anybody reading... several people on this thread mentioned a good fit from the Mickey Thompson Classic II in a 16x8 with 3-5/8" backspace (-22 offset). Apparently the Classic II has been discontinued and replaced by the.. you guess it... the Classic III. They look the same to me.

But, the Classic III isn't available in the 3-5/8" backspace, only a 4" and 4.5" backspace in the 16x8.

I went shopping for the wheels but nobody has them, and nobody can get them. EXCEPT for First Choice Tire and Wheel who had over 100 of them. Black only, polished is sold out.
http://firstchoicewheelsandtires.com/

Just sharing in case anyone else is looking.

Thanks Borick,
I was actually looking and came across the web site you posted and ordered the MT Classic II in a 16x8, -22 offset in black. Always a little leery on a order like that since I didn't try them on prior, but they do fit with plenty of clearance. $452 for a set of 4 shipped to my door.

I just ordered series 52 rock crawlers from 4wheelparts. 15x8 with 3.5" backspace. Did lots of research before I bought these because I didn't want to run spacers. They took a few weeks (like 4 i think) but They clear perfectly, I think you could slide a piece of paper in there between the wheel and caliper. Im running 33x12.50 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

I want these rims and was going to try to jump on them because they are being discontinued everywhere except a couple post below said they don't work? Anyone else running these and had problems?

Standard black d-window wheels. Lots of guys run them. But got to ask why you want 15" wheels? You are goin to have a hard time finding good tires. Bump up to a 16 or 17" and go as minimal backspacing as possible.

The new fj landcruiser rims as well as the 4 runner rims will def. Fit your vehicle I have the 20" rims from a 2012 4runner on mine

Sent from my HTC One using IH8MUD Forum mobile app

1383578806056.jpg

Standard black d-window wheels. Lots of guys run them. But got to ask why you want 15" wheels? You are goin to have a hard time finding good tires. Bump up to a 16 or 17" and go as minimal backspacing as possible.

It seems this same wheel in a 16 has a 4" back spacing which is what I was trying to avoid. I would buy the 16s if I knew the back spacing wasn't a problem. I will have to look into special order or wheel spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom