Wheels that work, part numbers (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@gbogh I was just about to ask a similar question but about the 17" Black TRD PRO 4Runne wheels. No I haven't gone through all 21 pages of this post so if there is a conversation about these wheels fitting on an FJ62 let me know and I'm more than happy to search through all the posts. You can also tele to get off my ass an use the "search" function if you like. :)

I'm looking at some TRD wheels p/n PTR18-35090 for my fj60. They are 16x7.5 with a 10mm offset or 4.625 in backspace. From what I've been reading, they may not fit without spacers, which I do not want to use. Can anyone speak from experience about that size wheel fitment on an fj60?

I have those wheels on my FJ60. And I've spoken to one other 60 owner who runs them as well. To run them we both needed 1.5" spacers and we had to have a machine shop remove a little bit of metal from the lip of the center-bore. I did a write-up on my rig thread on what I had to do to run these wheels. It was worth it, IMHO.

BIG RED - Our 1984 FJ60

2017-05-09-17-15-57-jpg.1462809

@cruisergear thanks for the information! Sweet lookin' rig.

Wow, read this thread several times and taken many notes on what has worked/not worked for people. The goal is
16x8 black steels with 285/75/16 Duratracs, NO spacers...been waiting to do this for several years!!
Thanks to @IPG1939 and @Willard for answering my questions on PM.

Vision:
The 16" Vision 84's referenced in post #170 did not work for my fj62 with stock brake calipers. IPG's rig in this post looks awesome with these and that's the look I wanted. No go for me. Also noted in post #410.

Custom:
I special ordered one 16" steel wheel from Summit custom ordered with 3.5" BS in raw steel. It fits great but ultimately wanted something ready made off the shelf with a slightly different design.

Procomp:
Looked at several Procomps, found the Series 87-6883, 16x8, 3.75 BS and ordered thru local 4wheelparts, tried it on today and this one fits great!! Damn this wheel feels heavy though. The center hub design bowls outward just right to fit around the caliper. Still not sure about the design/look, but this one fits a stock fj62 just right!! (Pics below)

American Eagle Alloy:
So my 16 y.o. kid drives it mostly now, I showed him the Procomp 87 mounted up and a jillion photos of rigs/wheels combos taken off Mud. He likes the steel but keeps coming back to the black Am Eagle 100 that lots of guys run here. Damn I really wanted steelies.....but these are growing on me...and did I mention the series 87 is heavy?...then add a 285?
The alloys are more spendy for sure, but they are a known perfect fit and clean. If we go this route mine will be nearly identical to @ddnuts rig, which is not a bad thing.

Procomp 87 fits:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ddnuts rig:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have those wheels on my FJ60. And I've spoken to one other 60 owner who runs them as well. To run them we both needed 1.5" spacers and we had to have a machine shop remove a little bit of metal from the lip of the center-bore. I did a write-up on my rig thread on what I had to do to run these wheels. It was worth it, IMHO.

BIG RED - Our 1984 FJ60

2017-05-09-17-15-57-jpg.1462809

those are nice looking wheels..

Read through the thead but not clear on a basic/classic steel rim that fits JF62 stock with no spacers needed - any recommendations? I'll use 255/85/16 KM2 tires.

Thanks in advance!

@SeattleFJ62: You want 70 series rims p/n 42601-60262-03. They look factory and fit perfectly on the fj62 -- no spacers required. Take a look at my post on page 21 to see what 255/85/r16 looks like with these rims.

These are doing the trick for me. 16x6 with 235/85r16's. I actually picked them up for my '40 but since it's a ways from being roadworthy they are the '62 which came with bald 32x9.5 swampers on stock wheels.

Dexstar 16x6 steel wheels, PN 017-144-12. Fit with no mods and the best part ....all of $37.44 each.
15X6 655 White Spoke | 017-144-12 | Nuera Trailer Parts

I Got them from a local shop for about $40 a piece. So, $160 for wheels, and you can get a set of 4 BFG KO2's in 235/85 for $580 shipped from 4Wheel Drive Hardware. Can't beat that combo for $740. (I was going to buy a set the other week , it was $536 shipped last time I looked, but the prices went up! Dang! I bought the wife a set of Blizzaks for the 4Runner instead..)

Do you have a long-term use report? I'm thinking of going this direction when I replace my 16" splits.

Thanks,

Do you have a long-term use report? I'm thinking of going this direction when I replace my 16" splits.

Thanks,
I put about 25k miles on them before I switched them out for stock chrome steelies and 33x10.5's KO2's about the time I lifted my '62. With the PO's body lift and my recent Tough Dog lift I had room for more tire than the 235/85's. The 235/85 tires still have ~50+% tread and were used when I got them. They will definately last longer than the BFG 33's. I have about 8,500 miles on the BFG's, enough for a comparison I suppose. No complaints about the 235/85 and 16x6 combo though, I aired them down to 12-15 psi more than a few times and beat on them pretty good. I was always pleasantly surprised by them off road even though they were a street oriented tread. Seems they also do about 1 better city MPG and 2+ better on the highway than the 33's. They may go back on when my '40 is road ready - we shall see.

Another set of the Vintique "Smoothies" from Summit successfully wrapped and mounted.

For those keeping score:

Wheel Vintiuques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels
16x7, 4" Backspacing
Summit Racing P/N: WVI-12-670604
Rustoleum Dark Gray Gloss + Rustoleum clear coat

No Spacers

OME 2.5" lift, stock brakes + TREs. TREs clear by about 1/2"
Cooper Discoverer S/T in 255/85r16 (~33x10.5x16)

Thanks to @love2fly and @89cruiserfj62 for figuring out these wheels and posting their results.

Love2fly's thread has much more detail about these wheels, along with some pics of his FJ45 that may make you weep:
Need Steel Rim Replacment help - 16x7

tires1.jpg
tires2.jpg
tires3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: OSS
Read through the thead but not clear on a basic/classic steel rim that fits JF62 stock with no spacers needed - any recommendations? I'll use 255/85/16 KM2 tires.

Thanks in advance!

@SeattleFJ62 the Procomp wheels (w/o tires) pictured above in post #424 fit my FJ62 perfectly.

The Am Eagle alloys I ordered also in post #424 are STILL on F 'ing back order!

Another set of the Vintique "Smoothies" from Summit successfully wrapped and mounted.

For those keeping score:

Wheel Vintiuques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels
16x7, 4" Backspacing
Summit Racing P/N: WVI-12-670604
Rustoleum Dark Gray Gloss + Rustoleum clear coat

No Spacers

OME 2.5" lift, stock brakes + TREs. TREs clear by about 1/2"
Cooper Discoverer S/T in 255/85r16 (~33x10.5x16)

Thanks to @love2fly and @89cruiserfj62 for figuring out these wheels and posting their results.

Love2fly's thread has much more detail about these wheels, along with some pics of his FJ45 that may make you weep:
Need Steel Rim Replacment help - 16x7

View attachment 1518305 View attachment 1518306 View attachment 1518307

I'm a bit curious. It has been mentioned in this thread that the best step up is to go to 17" wheels which opens up a myriad of tire sizes and styles. I understand the desire here on IH8MUD to stay true to the vintage look, but I don't understand the absolute obsession with staying with 15" or 16" wheels. This thread shows lots of wheel choices, yet all are stuck on 15" or 16". Question is why paint yourself into that corner from a tire choice perspective? If you're going to go ahead and change the look of the wheels completely, then why not go the last step and go up in diameter and take off the tire size handcuffs? And these smoothies certainly fit that bill. And they are available in both 17" and even 18" in proper bolt pattern and a reasonable backspace of 4.25" or 4.5". And at 18" you'll most likely clear the TRE's and certainly the calipers. This allows us to use all the scrillions of new take-off tires from Tundras and Ford F250's, Ram 2500's etc. I have a set my son took off his 2017 RAM 2500, LT275/70R18E Firestones M+S that sit at 33", look great, balance easily, ride nice and smooth, excellent treadwear, etc. Fit on a stock Ram 2500 18" x 8" steel wheel. It just seems that the vintage wheel sizes limit tire choices and that situation is only getting worse. 17" and 18" solve that nicely.

Wheel Vintiques 12 Series Smoothie Wheels 12-8806042

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-8706044/overview/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-12-7706042/overview/

Just some thoughts.

Mikey

Last edited:
This is just my opinion, but I don't care for the way 17" and 18" wheels look. To me, the rubber to metal ratio is visually discordant on any vehicle made before around 1993.

Yes, I would have more tire options if I went with a larger wheel, but none of them look "right" to me. Besides, I'm happy wearing the 16" handcuffs so long as Toyo keeps making Open Country MTs in 255/85.

This is just my opinion, but I don't care for the way 17" and 18" wheels look. To me, the rubber to metal ratio is visually discordant on any vehicle made before around 1993.

Yes, I would have more tire options if I went with a larger wheel, but none of them look "right" to me. Besides, I'm happy wearing the 16" handcuffs so long as Toyo keeps making Open Country MTs in 255/85.

Ah but then by that logic, every single Ford F250/Ram 2500 truck looks "wrong" then? They all have either 17" wheels with 31" tires, or 18" wheels with 33" tires, which by coinkydink have roughly the same rubber to metal ratio as 16" with 255's. It's all very subjective I admit, and taste in wheels runs the gamut as evidenced by this thread. No single modification can change the look of a vehicle more than wheel choice, you can make a great truck look like crap, or a crappy truck look great, all with wheels.

Hell we could go full on stupid and run these in 20 x 12........ it's all very personal.

Armory Truck Rims by Black Rhino

Cheers

Mikey

Ah but then by that logic, every single Ford F250/Ram 2500 truck looks "wrong" then?

No, my wheel size preferences specifically apply to vehicles made before the mid-90s.

Although I was just having this argument with my hunting buddy who wants to put 18" wheels on his 2009 diesel Ram 2500 and I believe I took the same position. So perhaps my biases really do extend into vehicles produced after 1993.

We all know that these 70 series wheels work, but I thought I'd post up the pics anyway. They have 255 85R16 Cooper Discoverer STs on them and are held up by the complete Dobinson Suspension system for the HJ61 that I recently had installed.
IMG_3255.JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom