What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (70 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi all,

Finally got around to replacing the oil pan gasket on the 2F in my 40. It has been leaking most of the time I've owned this rig (~19 years) - finally got to the point that I couldn't ignore it any longer. The job had the added "fun factor" of removing a busted-off pan bolt. :meh:

Regards,

Alan

Starting to get the top ready for paint

IMG_9012.JPG

IMG_9014.JPG

IMG_9015.JPG

Finished repairing tranny hump
DSCN0838.JPG
one side was pretty rotten
DSCN0839.JPG

filled in the cowl vent drains, as that will be sealed up
DSCN0844.JPG

tried all kinds of stuff to clean off the cooked on under coating, bug and tar remover worked the best
DSCN0853.JPG
maybe the kids wont bend it

Here you go: Watch Me Restore a Rusty Hood

It helps to have another hood that is in decent shape to use to form the patch pieces. I still have some work to do, but the hard part is documented in my thread.

Good luck!
Thanks for the link.
I started a new tread on the repair of my hood, Reviving a rusty, dented hood..
I have a decent hood on the 78 to match the curves.
Mine looks a little bit worse, almost the entyre front is gone including sections of the bracing.

Last edited:
How do you like the Kenwood?
I just hooked up a similar setup and the Pyle of Shet doesn't work.

Works very well. I have it bridged into a two channel amp and it pumps out the tunes. I'm a sound snob and I like it. Way more power than a head unit. Speakers rock. Not cheap but are really nice and sound great. Very good base for having them mounted in the back corners.

Hi all,

Finally got around to replacing the oil pan gasket on the 2F in my 40. It has been leaking most of the time I've owned this rig (~19 years) - finally got to the point that I couldn't ignore it any longer. The job had the added "fun factor" of removing a busted-off pan bolt. :meh:

Regards,

Alan

It's belated, but hope it's still helpful. My oil pan writeup:

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com

The bolts are brittle, so a sharp pointed hard bit can be used to break them up if they are inside the bolt hole and you can't get to them with a welded on nut or other external measure. There's also the good old left handled drill bit that's my go to.

It's belated, but hope it's still helpful. My oil pan writeup:

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement - Land Cruiser Tech from IH8MUD.com

The bolts are brittle, so a sharp pointed hard bit can be used to break them up if they are inside the bolt hole and you can't get to them with a welded on nut or other external measure. There's also the good old left handled drill bit that's my go to.

Do you prefer the four piece gasket or the one piece gasket? I got a couple of part numbers but don't know which one is the one piece gasket: 12151-61010 and 12151-60021. If you can tell me it would be great. and torque is 69 inch/lbs. correct?

Updated the exhaust system. The Man-A-Fre split headers were dumped into two pipes then merged into a turbo muffler. The muffler was to loud and the twin pipes took up a lot of room so I purchased a new down pipe from BTB Products. The new down pipe was supposed to bolt right up to the headers but one side was to long and held the other off from the header by 3/4" and the direction of the down pipe was to far towards the passenger side making muffler installation almost impossible. So the installer had to completely remake one side so it would fit properly. The Magnaflow muffler is quieter with a deeper sound and doesn't have the shrillness of the turbo muffler I did have.

As an aside, the Man-A-Fre split headers do fit extremely well but the ceramic coating is rusting off, started within 6 months of installation. Needless to say I have written Man-A-Fre and BTB Products off.

Do you prefer the four piece gasket or the one piece gasket? I got a couple of part numbers but don't know which one is the one piece gasket: 12151-61010 and 12151-60021. If you can tell me it would be great. and torque is 69 inch/lbs. correct?

61010 should be the single piece gasket.

Started with a faded 4WD emblem and a CCOT TOYOTA sticker.
IMG_0197.JPG
Removed 4WD emblem and used Goof Off to remove dirt and residue from old sticker just below.
IMG_0200.JPG
New 4wd emblem with old CCOT TOYOTA sticker
IMG_0201.JPG
Two new emblems.
IMG_0205.JPG

Fairly productive day. Weather cooperated too!

Epoxy primed tub.
34029509702_76c90c331e_z.jpg

34187761475_a1943d3736_z.jpg

34187762795_67456bfcce_z.jpg

Waited 90 minutes for it to flash and then sprayed the Raptor liner (should equal a great chemical bond b/w the layers). Did two coats waiting ~hour in between. Used 3 (kit contains 4) bottles so I've got 1 left to do other misc pieces (trans tunnel, etc.).

Very happy with how this stuff goes on. Crazy easy and looks pro!

34029513982_0e288bc757_z.jpg

34029516182_9de1e88bb9_z.jpg

33802655780_bc88b0f812_z.jpg

34146117736_352e170672_z.jpg

34146119566_d411e29806_z.jpg

Wngrog

One of the best pictures I've seen. Easily a screen shot but even more it's worthy of framing!

Flipped the tub back over, drilled the holes for the roll bar through the wheel well supports and mounted the roll bar.
DSCN0855.JPG

Tacked the nuts on the bottom side, left the 1/8" plate in the wheel well tops from one the POs and worked around it. Ugly but stout and a major PITA!
DSCN0856.JPG

Put the top on then hung the doors, drilled out the holes so there will be some adj. Before there where wood screws holding the hinges to the tub. They also had a top hinge on the bottom with a sprung hinge on the other side. Got nut plates on the back side now. Still need a little adjusting and another left bottom hinge, as its holding the door out from the tub a little.
DSCN0859.JPG

Next on the list is mounting the spare tire carrier, the nut plate for the top hinge and modifying the sill to match the 75-76 hook. Here's my buddy Rambo, he's a turd.
DSCN0858.JPG

Last edited:
Finally put a front bumper on her.
Thanks to @GA Architect for the bumper link it's was the cheapest out there.

One of the best bang for your buck Oem parts still out there.Besides bumperetes and hub caps.
14928976144661084398783.jpg

Not my fj45 but the firewood guy who used to own mine, bit if weight there in the gum log. One if 5 he moved.

20170422_095334.jpg

Drove a few km down the road, the truck has a tip deck which makes getting it off easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom