What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (81 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As promised here is the link for the sahara expidition video. Hope you guys enjoy it.
As a result of this journey I redid the boots on upper and lower balljoints. They looked old nasty.

that's awesome

the Method NVs looks dope!!! I debated hard between those or the roost, settled on roost cuz of weight and offset doesn't have as much poke

the Method NVs looks dope!!! I debated hard between those or the roost, settled on roost cuz of weight and offset doesn't have as much poke
I like the Roost a lot as well; the poke is just right for me with the 275/70s but little bit of rub at back of front fender well is killing me. Wasn’t supposed to happen with this combo!

I like the Roost a lot as well; the poke is just right for me with the 275/70s but little bit of rub at back of front fender well is killing me. Wasn’t supposed to happen with this combo!
Common to get an occaisional rub on the passenger side at the bottom of the fender liner- especially if you have your caster settings maxed. The outer edge of my tire rubbed at steeper approach angles when turning right as the control arms flex a little.

Heat gun and smooth out the bump in the plastic should take care of the rub.

Built an attic/rack for the 1999 Land Cruiser like @LandCruiserPhil it was a bit of pain getting everything to line up but in the end, I won. I think Phil nailed it with the 18" width, I tried the 24" width and it crowds the rear passengers... sorry to doubt you Phil! :bounce:

image-jpeg.1633229

image-jpeg.1633230
where did you get the rack?

Here is my roost 18x9 +18 on 33s KO2

36458124456_9b097bb2ab_b.jpg

40025376051_c5e4d581ac_b.jpg

New shoes.

Did the rear rotors and pads while I was at it. I'll let you guess which part was the least fun from the photos.
20180216_151900.jpg

Fuel Trophy 18x9s. +20 offset. Nitto TG MTs in 275/70/18. Will require very minor trimming.

20180216_151932.jpg

Stance.

20180216_154302.jpg

5 out of 10 on the rear.

Next week: front rotors and pads.

Yeah all broken by hand. I don't have air tools either so I set the new ones by hand as well. :bang:
That's "nuts"! throw some anti seize in the nuts, save you a headache next time. (I know there is debate on anti seize in lug nuts, but, I never have issues)

Yeah all broken by hand. I don't have air tools either so I set the new ones by hand as well. :bang:
Aftermarket lug nuts can cross thread easily, they need to go on by hand then tightened with a torque wrench- no pnumatic tools. Who put the wheels on last?

Aftermarket lug nuts can cross thread easily, they need to go on by hand then tightened with a torque wrench- no pnumatic tools. Who put the wheels on last?
I had a local tire shop do it. Never again. After the first snapped, I knew I was in for a special treat. But the 100 series FAQ and YouTube were my friends. Start to finish, rotors, pads, lug studs, and 4 wheels....3 hours, 2 jameson, and 1 trip for parts.

I had some lug frozen/rusted on. Spent two days getting wheel off and doing rear brake job. Had to get a 3/4 breaker bar to finish the job. But not one stud broke.

5 lugs busted is insane.

I named this rig Garybear, can you guess why!
00 LX470 270K (2).JPG

Lugs frozen on.
00 LX470 270K (4).JPG

Wheel frozen on hub. Heated lugs and wheel/axle hub to ~150 degrees and cooled repeatedly. Soaked repeatedly after each heating and overnight.
00 LX470 270K (6).JPG

Beat the wheel to death, seriously! Went to scrap pile in the end.
00 LX470 270K (5).JPG

Two days just to replace caliper, pads and rotor on rear. What a bear!
009.JPG

Last edited:
I had some lug frozen/rusted on. Spent two days getting wheel off and doing rear brake job. Had to get a 3/4 breaker bar to finish the job. But not one stud broke.

5 lugs busted is insane.

I named this rig Garybear, can you guess why!

Lugs frozen on.
View attachment 1634873
Wheel frozen on hub. Heated lugs and wheel/axle hub to ~150 degrees and cooled repeatedly. Soaked repeatedly after each heating and overnight.
View attachment 1634874
Beat the wheel to death, seriously! Went to scrap pile in the end.
View attachment 1634875
Two days just to replace caliper, pads and rotor on rear. What a bear!
View attachment 1634876
You are far more patient than I. I was comfortable just snapping them. If they were weak enough to break with me pulling by hand, then I'd rather just re-thread some new lugs in. Took about 5 minutes per lug after watching a few videos on YouTube. But painful process either way. Congrats on gettin it done. Now go enjoy some beer.

You are far more patient than I. I was comfortable just snapping them. If they were weak enough to break with me pulling by hand, then I'd rather just re-thread some new lugs in. Took about 5 minutes per lug after watching a few videos on YouTube. But painful process either way. Congrats on gettin it done. Now go enjoy some beer.
Actually the lugs were not just frozen on studs, but also in wheels. Or the 3/4 breaker bar would have just snap then in a heart beat.

Like @abuck99 alluded to, some cross thread yours on with impact wrench.

This rig look like some of lugs had been replaced.
Rear brake piston to rotor 003.JPG
Rear brake piston to rotor 052.JPG

Spent a good hour and a half at the carwash doing a bucket wash and wipe down. Can't wait till this winter sh*t is over and done with!

20180216_145209.jpg

Here is my roost 18x9 +18 on 33s KO2

36458124456_9b097bb2ab_b.jpg

40025376051_c5e4d581ac_b.jpg
Very sweet... love the bronze! Miss San Diego, too. Bought my first Cruiser, a ‘97 Collector’s Edition, there in ‘04 and bought my 62 when I was living down in PB in ‘07. Still have the 62...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom