What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (54 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New ebay steering wheel. it was a pain in the ass to install, but worth it!

View attachment 1577958
I'm planning on getting one of these soon but have struggled to determine the right color. I assumed brown leather/brown wood (white LC, tan leather, brown interior trim) but I contacted the seller and they recommended the gray leather (I believe what you installed).

What colors are in your interior? How does the new wheel match?

A full bearing job is in my near future too, I appreciate all the detailed pics with parts numbers. I'm guessing those pn's apply to all years of 100s? And just curious but what is the bag with the label "qty. 10" on the far right of the second to last pic? Are those the flange studs that you have to pound to get the cone washers off?

Sorry, those are the hub studs.

Yes, these parts would be applicable for all 100 series trucks.

This job is easy but critical.

I do 30k intervals for bearing repacked. This conforms to Toyota’s “severe” usage maintenance schedule.

Started working on sound dampening the rear, hopefully this adds a little layer of insulation for me as well when i sleep in the truck. The cargo floor already have sound dampening in some parts, i just laid material on parts that is just metal.

Boy there sure is a lot of usable space if you take out the panel, and that white box to the right, is that some kind of ventilation thing? I see an opening that goes down to the bottom of the truck.

26811963819_0508fae952_h.jpg

Started working on sound dampening the rear, hopefully this adds a little layer of insulation for me as well when i sleep in the truck. The cargo floor already have sound dampening in some parts, i just laid material on parts that is just metal.

Boy there sure is a lot of usable space if you take out the panel, and that white box to the right, is that some kind of ventilation thing? I see an opening that goes down to the bottom of the truck.

26811963819_0508fae952_h.jpg
The white thing is the rear ac/heater unit. Runs up to the vents on the headliner behind the second row seats. May she be as quiet as a Prius......

The white thing is the rear ac/heater unit. Runs up to the vents on the headliner behind the second row seats. May she be as quiet as a Prius......

ah that's what it is, yep, just tested it on the freeway, all i can hear is wind noise, not much of road noise. I lined the front doors, rear doors, rear cargo area, and floor. crap ton of work but i think it's worth it. The rattles have been cured too, stereo sounds nicer. Could be placebo for all we know but i'm happy with my results.

Wind noise is from a crappy windshield install, wish i knew which part was whistling so i can fix it, drives me nuts.

Broke a 6mm flat head skid plate bolt. One of the two going into the diff drop.......:censor: So instead of dealing with the weak link small bolt each time I want to take off the skids here’s what I did. I got 8mm ss rivnuts and drilled the diff drop about an inch inside of the existing mounting locations. Now there is more strength and less chance of breaking a bolt the next time I pull the skids.
No photos, because... well, I just wanted it done. :steer: You get it, right.

Happy Turkey Day! We are all thankful to be Land Cruiser owners.:cheers:

I'm planning on getting one of these soon but have struggled to determine the right color. I assumed brown leather/brown wood (white LC, tan leather, brown interior trim) but I contacted the seller and they recommended the gray leather (I believe what you installed).

What colors are in your interior? How does the new wheel match?

I have a white 2003 with tan interior -This is the SW I purchased from Ebay:
2003-07 Toyota Land Cruiser Steering Wheel Tan Leather W/Woodgrain 4510245010E0
( 281967348930 )

I think it looks great..does not match the center of steering wheel, but does match the seats and console- Gives the truck a more modern 2 tone look.

Not sure I would go with the gray color..
lc steering wheel.JPG

Love that bumper!! Home made?
Thank you! And yes, kinda. I designed it, bought the center plate from a shop that bent it for me according to my pencil sketch. Then off to another friend/shop who did the tube work. He recommended and added the corner hoops/protection.

I like how it turned out but, like anything, I would make some minor adjustments if I did it again.

I have a white 2003 with tan interior -This is the SW I purchased from Ebay:
2003-07 Toyota Land Cruiser Steering Wheel Tan Leather W/Woodgrain 4510245010E0
( 281967348930 )

I think it looks great..does not match the center of steering wheel, but does match the seats and console- Gives the truck a more modern 2 tone look.

Not sure I would go with the gray color..
View attachment 1579694

Steering wheel looks great! I have some slight wear on top from po and has been an eye sore since I got the rig. I'm really curious about your speaker grill covers? They look good. Any advice?

Steering wheel looks great! I have some slight wear on top from po and has been an eye sore since I got the rig. I'm really curious about your speaker grill covers? They look good. Any advice?

Depending on what year your truck is, you may have options on what you do. There is a 1998-2002 steering wheel floating around the forum for people to use so they can get their steering wheel recovered. Expect to pay around $300 for the work, plus all the shipping.

As for the speaker grills, remove the door panel, remove the four screws holding the grills on, strip the glued on fabric off and rattle can them with paint. Seen some brown grills in tan interior and usually black grills in gray interior.

Replaced the steering wheel. The old one wasn't terrible compared to some I've seen, but a bit worn through at very top and bottom. If anyone is interested, I posted the old one on EBay so the wife would stop giving me the evil eye about spending $ right before Christmas. If I was just a tiny bit more adventurous, I would buy some leather and attempt a re-stitch. Doesn't look like an impossible task. :)

1998-2002 Toyota Land Cruiser / LX 470 Steering Wheel | eBay

IMG_3167.JPG

Thanks, I took off the old speaker cover( 4 screws). Did not take off the door panel, just went through the bottom of the door. It was tight, but do-able.
I then stripped off the old covers and recovered with brown speaker cloth. I went dark because I was tired of trying to keep the light beige clean.

First hundy project...and you guys weren't kidding.
This was one of the most pita jobs I have done in a while...worse than bodywork on the 40.

Wow...those Ts were totally rotten..
IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

I removed a broken sway bar link. The new one is on order. I picked up that Moog unit. I also put new inboard CV joint clamps on the small ends of the joint.

SwayBarLink.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom