What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1000033224.webp

1000033215.webp

1000033284.webp

1000033290.webp

Drove to Itasca State Park and the headwaters of the Mississippi for the fall colors on Saturday, and to Kathryn, ND, to help with some trail work on Sunday. First out of town trips since putting the rebuilt 3F-E back in. 500 miles of driving this weekend and the engine runs great!
For some reason I'm missing an exhaust stud to the downpipe and now I have an exhaust leak. Sounds better that way.
Also saw a moose.
 
Went through My pre-trail checklist. She’s good to go.
Then started packing for my upcoming Fordyce trail run.
It’s going to be epic.

image.webp
 
My ABS is deleted and I have none of the weak brakes concerns the rest of you seem to have.
All this talk about deleting the ABS makes me wonder why Toyota would have used it in the first place. Is the problem that, as it ages, it is less functional?
If they made one with and one without ABS would the non-ABS work better?
 
All this talk about deleting the ABS makes me wonder why Toyota would have used it in the first place. Is the problem that, as it ages, it is less functional?
If they made one with and one without ABS would the non-ABS work better?
Toyota used it because it's safer in most situations (for the typical driver), and because it's the direction the entire auto industry was going (and FYI, ABS was mandated on all US vehicles as of 2011-ish.) Safety specs sell cars.

My personal opinion is that the ABS gets a bad rap because it's very difficult to bleed properly, and when it's not bled properly it leaves us with less than perfect brakes. The only reason that removing the ABS "fixes" the brakes for many is that it's now easier to bleed.

I'd personally love to figure out a better bleeding procedure, keep the benefits of ABS AND have good brakes.
 
Toyota used it because it's safer in most situations (for the typical driver), and because it's the direction the entire auto industry was going (and FYI, ABS was mandated on all US vehicles as of 2011-ish.) Safety specs sell cars.

My personal opinion is that the ABS gets a bad rap because it's very difficult to bleed properly, and when it's not bled properly it leaves us with less than perfect brakes. The only reason that removing the ABS "fixes" the brakes for many is that it's now easier to bleed.

I'd personally love to figure out a better bleeding procedure, keep the benefits of ABS AND have good brakes.
Good info....I agree with you. And I don't think Toyota was designing the brake system with an overloaded, 37 inch tires, 3 inch lifted, vehicle in mind. I think people have to consider that. There are ways to get better braking but it includes spending $4K+ on bigger rotors, and bigger calipers, etc.
 
The story I was told is the ABS pumps wear out, and they're $$$$ and/or NLA, so it's easier to dump the whole system when they wear out.
The ABS system in an 80 only "pumps" when you're in a panic stop situation and the ABS is actively engaged. It only runs for seconds (or less) at a time, and very seldom at that. I suppose it could wear out, but it seems improbable. If they do become inoperable for any reason, then I agree that it may make sense to just eliminate them.

100s and 200s on the other hand have electric booster pumps, and those definitely can and do wear out.
 
Seems like you could mount a new valve out from underneath there, and re route the vacuum lines. Has anyone done this?
Yup.
I posted in one of the threads on the subject.
Reach out if you want the details.
 
In 33 years of ownership I think I can count the number of times I've had the ABS activate on my 10 fingers. Usually on ice.
 
Yes please!
I just made this simple L- bracket and mounted it here:

New VSV.webp


The old VSV is left in situ and the new one is plumbed in series with it. Disconnecting the harness was the only hard part, but once free it has just enough length to reach the new valve.

Iirc, I was able to use the existing vacuum line from the plenum pass-thru nipple. I just had to add a small length of line to the old VSV under the plenum.
 
Did 2 days at Windrock in Tennessee. Unfortunately on the way home at 70mph my front drive shaft exploded and took a chunk out of my transmission. This is the 2nd Tom Woods drive shaft to fail on me. The 1st one I'll blame myself for not greasing the center ball on the DC end. Learned my lesson. This time I had kept up on greasing it. Still failed. Definitely going different direction on next front drive shaft. The wheeling at windrock was awesome. Love that place.

IMG_20260926_162533.webp


20260927_122909.webp


20260926_120247.webp


20260926_105304.webp


20260926_090356.webp
 
Did 2 days at Windrock in Tennessee. Unfortunately on the way home at 70mph my front drive shaft exploded and took a chunk out of my transmission. This is the 2nd Tom Woods drive shaft to fail on me. The 1st one I'll blame myself for not greasing the center ball on the DC end. Learned my lesson. This time I had kept up on greasing it. Still failed. Definitely going different direction on next front drive shaft. The wheeling at windrock was awesome. Love that place.

View attachment 4225489

View attachment 4225491

View attachment 4225495

View attachment 4225496

View attachment 4225497
In CO, they paint the trail markers brown, so you never see them. seems so obvious to do yellow or something that stands out.
 
Ordered up another one of these remote entry units from @Trail Teq . This one is for my '95. I already have one on my '96 which works pretty flawlessly. These guys also have figured out how to navigate the tariffs so purchase is super simple with no surprises.
Just need one for 3rd Gen 4runner.....

20261006_071158.webp
 
Back
Top Bottom