What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (76 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I daily mine but I had to cancel a lot of summer trips because of these insane (and completely correctable -it doesn't have to be like this) prices so it's really no laughing matter at all. Fine for those that can absorb these prices but a complete regressive, painful tax on those that can't. I get your point though...it might help to laugh it off.

My fuel bill has almost doubled. It blows dick.

I have a long trip this summer I can't cancel.

Everyone's fuel bills have doubled. It sucks. But if there's one thing I've noticed, no matter what year it is, no matter the price, everyone always complains about the cost of fuel endlessly, and will continue to do so until it is no longer available to regular personal consumers. I remember people lining up with jerry cans in the 90s while raging because prices were going all the way up to $0.50/L.

Fun fact: I filled up the truck with $150 worth of diesel the other day. Dude I know with an Audi E-Tron pays $4 to get 300km worth of electrons put in his battery. But he also plugs it in at work, so most of the time doesn't pay s*** for it. It's the future like or or not and fighting against it makes one an old man yelling at clouds.

I figure within a decade there will be some cool kits out there that will allow me to mount a 300-400hp electric motor on each axle, or even a motor at each wheel if one wants to get really fun (imagine being able to do a skid steer turn on a trail), to keep old vehicles going.

In the meantime, driving a 30 year old 6,000lb brick wall around on 35 inch tires is in no way practical and needs to be regarded like the luxury item it really is.

Everyone's fuel bills have doubled. It sucks. But if there's one thing I've noticed, no matter what year it is, no matter the price, everyone always complains about the cost of fuel endlessly, and will continue to do so until it is no longer available to regular personal consumers. I remember people lining up with jerry cans in the 90s while raging because prices were going all the way up to $0.50/L.

Fun fact: I filled up the truck with $150 worth of diesel the other day. Dude I know with an Audi E-Tron pays $4 to get 300km worth of electrons put in his battery. But he also plugs it in at work, so most of the time doesn't pay s*** for it. It's the future like or or not and fighting against it makes one an old man yelling at clouds.

I figure within a decade there will be some cool kits out there that will allow me to mount a 300-400hp electric motor on each axle, or even a motor at each wheel if one wants to get really fun (imagine being able to do a skid steer turn on a trail), to keep old vehicles going.

In the meantime, driving a 30 year old 6,000lb brick wall around on 35 inch tires is in no way practical and needs to be regarded like the luxury item it really is.

I'm not fighting e-cars beyond the fact that I rent and therefore can't install a charger at home. So they're completely impractical at this point.

In lighter news my trans is back together. The shop is waiting on the converter and pump.

IMG_20220609_173416.jpg

Question.
I am sorta done with the HIR constant merry-go-round. Pretty consistently replacing them every 18 months.
I am looking at the Morimoto Two Stroke 3.0 9005/9006 LEDs. These seem to check of all the boxes. Most importantly, the LEDs are in the same place as the filaments on a halogen, and you can rotate them in the house to fine tune the beam pattern. Throw in a great driver and very novel cooling system....and aside from the price, they seem like a winner. (I mean they are not legal from the DOT perspective).

Has anyone tried these yet?
Or the Scamazon Farhen version for 1/4 the price?
I have the diode dynamics sl1 bulbs/led and have been very happy with them

We offer a Japanese (OE manufacture) brake booster for the FZJ80 (Part# BBN60792, $327.50). There are obviously some aftermarket import units that are less $ and folks have had good luck with but at $327.50, we are pretty happy with the Japanese units :cool:
@cruiseroutfit i don’t see that on you website. I would like to order one? Should I just give the shop a call? Or maybe post up the link! Thanks Wes

@cruiseroutfit i don’t see that on you website. I would like to order one? Should I just give the shop a call? Or maybe post up the link! Thanks Wes

Buzz the team, boosters are part of the next big upload on CruiserTeq.com. The phone sales team can get it cued up and shipped today!

I have a lot of weight on my rig and a large, full tool drawer as sell. I think my rig is right at 7000 lbs. I get slightly less than 10 miles per gallon.
I get about 11 when I drive my fully built 80 on 37/4.88s at 85mph for the duration of the trip.

I'm not fighting e-cars beyond the fact that I rent and therefore can't install a charger at home. So they're completely impractical at this point.

Nobody seems to take into account the draw on the power grid if we all start driving electric vehicles. Especially in places like California.

Cheers

Completed the Hudd Expo GIS skid plate by adding some tranny protection this morning.
20220610_100947_HDR.jpg

Hopefully later today I get some time to change my break pads.

Nobody seems to take into account the draw on the power grid if we all start driving electric vehicles. Especially in places like California.

Cheers

As someone working in the electrical industry, LOTS of people are taking that into account. It'll take years to get the e cars rolled out, and it will also take years to upgrade grids where necessary.

As someone working in the electrical industry, LOTS of people are taking that into account. It'll take years to get the e cars rolled out, and it will also take years to upgrade grids where necessary.

And countries like Mexico, Brazil, India? My point was not so much about upgrading the power grid with charge stations, it is the draw on the power grid. When you shut down nuclear and hydro but put a bigger draw on the grid, well ya, not thought out very well. Here in Idaho where we have lots of power we still get told to limit our AC use in summer months.

Probably should just drop the subject all together since these types of topics seem very frowned upon here on mud these days.

Cheers

In Colorado, our grid was until very recently mostly coal powered, although that is changing. I know a guy who ran around in a Chevy Volt with a big sticker on the back that said "POWERED BY COAL" I've personally had 2 electric vehicles and they're great at what they do, but they certainly don't do everything. If everyone got one, they'd probably need to mandate solar on every roof and batteries in every home to keep up with the demand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom